either another SB 800 or a SB 600 or just going with 1 SB 800 and a

reflector. I cant decide and I'm guessing (Hoping) some of you have

done this and have some practical experience to give? <p>

I am aiming to shoot them with umbrella's rather than direct. The

location of my (temporary) studio is my conservatory so there will

also be a lot of ambient light. <p>

Would welcome any feedback on your experiences. <p>

Many Thanks

I have a D70 and a D2x with an SB-800 and an SB-600. They work great together but in

hindsight I would have gotten a second 800 just for the extra output power and better

capacity recycle time with its included auxillary battery holder. For the extra money I think

it's worth it. Will probably get another one anyway. I love being go out to a location and

set up quickly and easily with out huge power packs and strobe heads and wires! I have

the light stand adapters and sometimes mount the SB's so I can bounce into umbrellas and

have been pleased with the results. Are they as powerful as the monolights..no. But can I

carry two monolights in my waist pack on a hike? No. Well, not easily I should say! Ha.

The D70 working as commander with two well placed (wireless is so nice) SB's is a great

little studio in a backpack or conservatory for that matter!

Just my two cents....

SU-4 mode will work with the dSLRs but it takes more effort to get the exposures right. The advantage is that it eliminates the flash pre-fire so you can use ordinary optical triggers to fire other flash units. With a dSLR it's not too much hassle getting the exposure right but without a flash meter you can waste a lot of film using this method.

I don't think a single SB-800 and reflector provides adequate, even enough illumination for most purposes. I've tried my SB-800 with every surface on a Photoflex 5-'n-1 reflector and have found it very difficult to evenly illuminate anything larger than a teddy bear the size of a toddler. And to accomplish this the reflector must be placed within a foot or two of the subject - most actual toddlers would find this either frightening or irresistable to grab at.

Umbrellas will produce the same problem - flash units like the SB-800 aren't powerful enough to use with an umbrella placed more than a foot or two away from the subject. So it's not only uncomfortable for some subjects, it presents a problem for the photographer: even if the flash and reflectors/umbrellas are not in the frame they may still cause flare.

However if your work space has sufficient ambient light you might be able to use it along with a reflector to provide satisfactory illumination.

I would suggest using the SB-800 (or any other flash) aimed directly at the subject while using some form of diffusion. The SB-800 comes with some very useful diffusers. And the Photoflex 5-'n-1 reflector includes a white shoot-through diffuser that can be mounted on any reflector holder. I use a Wescott arm on one of my too-many tripods.

I have been putting together a similar setup for location and

studio work as well, and have found that the more SBs you have

the better. For the most part, a single light source can work well,

but having the option to add a second source will be better.

I have two SB800s and one SB600, and shoot with a D70. I also

have added several stands, umbrellas, clamps, etc. For the

most part, I use the onboard speedlite as a master for the other

remote flashes, but sometimes use the SB800 for that role.

Also, the speedlites working without umbrellas in a bounce or

diffused situation work very nicely. I have a project coming up

where I will shoot the interior of an art gallery, and will use the

speedlites in this manner, behind columns, tables, etc. But

unfortunately, I will probably need a couple more speedlites.

While the SB600 is a good flash, if you can swing it, get another

SB800. You'll appreciate the extra power, and features.

I have a D70, two SB800s and two SB600s, but in your case, even just a second flash unit and an SC-28 or SC-29 cable would give you an incredibly versatile setup. You can trigger both of the flash units using the D70's built-in flash (although you do lose a great deal of control this way), or use your SB800 as a commander either on or off the camera (using the SC-28 or -29 cable). I've also found that walking around with one flash on the camera held in your right hand and the other flash in your left hand works very well, too. When you use the SB800 as the commander, you can adjust the modes and the flash compensation settings for all the remote flashes individually, which is fantastic when you have a flash located overhead or in some other awkward place.

Another advantage of the system is that you can use light-duty, relatively inexpensive stands for the flashes, or that terrific Manfrotto clamp with the cold shoe on it, or even just gaffer tape to hold the flash units in place. For diffusers, I've used the extra-small Photoflex softbox, translucent Litediscs, and a variety of little gadgets that snap onto the flash itself. Heck, some people claim to have great success with white balloons or tupperware bowls taped to the flash units.

I think the CLS is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My only complaint is that I wish Nikon would come out with some cheaper, slave-only flash units.