Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC 2010: #7

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your images under 700 pixels wide for in-line viewing, and <strong><em>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</em></strong>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The <strong>general guidelines</strong> for these WedNEsDAy PiC threads <a rel="nofollow" href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00T/00TXZt-140227584.jpg" target="<mce:script type="><strong>are right here</strong></a>.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello from the still shoveling Mid-Atlantic US, where the remains of our two recent winter storms are a lingering, glacial hangover. There will be as many happy roofing contractors as unhappy insurance agents. I found my neighbor - the marathon running math teacher - up on his house, removing thousands of pounds of packed snow and ice to halt the damage to his walls. He was not amused, but liked the workout.<br /><br />Of course <em>you've</em> been busy using your Nikon gear instead of moving snow, so dig out a recent shot to share.</p><div>00Vn5X-221297584.thumb.jpg.59203d17aa3837b7d06a9e106ca662f8.jpg</div>

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

<p >Happy WedNEsDAy & Happy Mardi Gras Everyone!</p>

<p >We visited Bellingrath Gardens near Mobile, Alabama. The Asian-American Garden was spectacular. Even though a breeze ruffled the still pond water just as I was taking the shot, I believe the shot works. I hope you like it.</p>

</p><div>00Vn5Y-221297784.jpg.dcc3697a22a2a014ba87e327bb95a4b2.jpg</div>

<p>Hi everyone, sorry I missed last week's post. This week I would like to share an image that I was very lucky to capture. This is a portrait of a Gambel's Quail made in the Papago Recreation Area, Phoenix, Arizona. I shot off a few frames from my car and then he was gone.</p><div>00Vn5b-221297684.jpg.365d52aa02f9a43b54f5dd4c36c0575f.jpg</div>

<p ><strong >WedNEsDAy PiC #7</strong></p>

<p ><strong > </strong></p>

<p >My shot is of my son hitting the winning runs on the weekend. The weather is a little crazy at the moment. A heatwave one minute, rain the next. This shot was taken in the rain. Someone felt sorry for me and handed me an umbrella … had everything, but that.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Camera: Nikon D300</p>

<p >Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8G IF-ED plus TC-14EII</p>

<p >Settings: 280 mm, 1/1603 sec, f/4.0 and ISO 1400 (Manual, tripod, VR off)</p><div>00Vn5g-221299684.jpg.2876451bcc6dbb8e17cf5338cfbff4f3.jpg</div>

<p>Good Morning and Happy Wednesday.<br>

Dallas, Texas set a new record last week, when we had over a foot of snow in one 24-hour period. That is rare for us, so I thought it would be a good day to get out and capture some "snow pics". This image taken near my house when snow was really coming down. Lots of photographers were enjoying the day also.</p><div>00Vn5h-221299584.jpg.80a203995b3afda60e6c0741a345a013.jpg</div>

<p>Greetings from sunny Seattle...Matt, I am actually a little jealous of your snow...not all of it, but a dusting would be nice!<br>

My contribution is from a recent shoot. I have photographed this little girl for a few years. She is more fun each time I see her. So here is a nice summery Seattle shot for you!</p><div>00Vn5k-221301684.jpg.1fbd85a102a3bb9f0cd84d7e377a70ae.jpg</div>

<p >Greetings again from the southeastern part of the North American continent. Per-Christian Nilssen made a comment recently about how easy it is to get bogged down in our photography, saying how he thought “what is the point of making these images” if we do not share them with others. Over the last year I found myself asking the same question-I looked at all my filed images and thought, perhaps when I die someday someone will actually DO something with these images. I am a master RA4 color printer with my own darkroom and have produced images that “win prizes.” But getting into the darkroom to expend the time to print is rare nowadays for me. Getting a digital Nikon DSLR has enabled me to carry my darkroom in a computer bag, not to mention the ability to use my beloved AIS Nikkors. Being able to participate weekly on the Nikon Wednesday forum in such good company has re-kindled the spirit of photography in me and I thank you for that. You have been most kind in your comments-Gej Jones, Richard Karash, Lil Judd, Dan South, Jose Angel, I hesitate to list all the names so as to leave out someone-I thank you for your feedback as I do from everyone. Best of all, I enjoy seeing the work of all you great photographers from across the world. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >An image this week from my “lunar landscape” series (brace yourself, there will be more). After all, I am astrologically a “moon child.”</p><div>00Vn5z-221305684.jpg.0429a8492872da131cd594a6a10c7e84.jpg</div>

<p>Hello, everybody, and Great Wednesday to you! Looking at Matt's photo makes me happy once again that it's been twenty two years since I last shoveled snow in Maryland/Washington suburbs. To be fair, in California one should always be ready for an opportunity to photograph an earthquake!<br /> Again my subject is a dog I met while walking mine. I have found a good application for my limited photographic skills: I have discovered that many dog owners find it difficult to take a decent photo of their dogs, so I do it for them, print the more or less decent ones, and leave them in an envelope in the dog park/forest where I took them for owners to pick up. I do this just for fun. Several times I was pretty moved to hear something like: My dog passed away, but the picture you took is on my fridge, and I smile every time I look at it.</p><div>00Vn64-221305784.jpg.637c30b0f6de288f0c438131d516ba74.jpg</div>

<p>I've been taking advantage of the winter olympics and dividing my attention between that and trying to catch up on scanning several years' backlog of slides. Here's one from a series I got several years ago, serendipitously, as I watched three very intrepid kayakers go down the falls between Lincoln and Bristol, Vermont. Taken with a Nikon F and 80-200 F4 AIS zoom on Velvia 100F and scanned on a Coolscan IV-ED, so it's pure Nikon.</p><div>00Vn69-221307584.jpg.5c26e0e16e287314edb07cea0826f88b.jpg</div>

<p>All bundled up in my North Face gear and Sorels...Storm Jacket on my rig...at a favorite place of mine to shoot~ Forest Park in Springfield, MA...I had a good day shooting in the moderate snow squall Tuesday. Spent the morning at the hospital having some testing done, so getting out to shoot made me find my happy place again~ as it always does. Enjoy your days all.</p><div>00Vn6M-221311584.jpg.05b9111550fd08e1d2f5f7ddbbbcc198.jpg</div>

<p>After seeing all the snow last week, and in a couple of the early images this week, I wanted to post - by way of counter-point - something which conveys the heat, dryness and harsh sun of the Australian summer.</p>

<p>Again, taken from my recent trip to the South Australian McLaren Vale wine region, and with a bit of post to accentuate the heat-haze and harshness of the light...</p><div>00Vn6S-221313584.jpg.890752688d967e5928e6a0a7310b1ef0.jpg</div>

<p>Good Wednesday to everyone,<br />Sharing this photo of a Hatteras Sportfisherman yacht taken one night during the Miami Yacht and Brokerage Show last week. Don't let the seemingly warm setting fool you; the days started in the low 40-degree Farenheit each day (very cold for Miami). Not snow weather, but cold enough. Expecting bikinis and t-shirts, we had parkas and hats.</p><div>00Vn6a-221317584.jpg.0017235629affcb6ebda6ef2324ff8fc.jpg</div>