Nikon Wednesday Pic 2010: #44

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels wide for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a rel="nofollow" href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km">right here</a></strong>. Remember: only one image each week!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Happy Wednesday, Nikonistas. I was up with the sun the other morning, shooting a frolicking pair of Labrador Retrievers. We were more or less in the dark, when the sun suddenly popped over a hill, leaving my ISO 1250 looking like a really bad choice (hence the B&W conversion!). But these two knuckle-headed dogs, which are the best of buddies, were putting on their display of Maleness, which I didn't want to miss.<br /><br />So, here in the Spirit of Bipartisanship, are the dog on the left, and the dog on the right. No dogs (not even their feelings!) were hurt in the making of this scene. These two guys really do think the world of each other, promise! They're just being... guys. Have you used your Nikon gear to capture a scene that's more than meets the eye? Share a photo!</p><div>00XbhI-297293584.jpg.7157c5a2a4234a504fd188edf92b8b9f.jpg</div>

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>keeping with Matt's theme, I'm submitting a Dog photo, too.</p>

<p>I really expected a Halloween theme. I shot a bunch of costume portraits at 2 parties Saturday night. While they were technically good photos -- the 70-200 f2.8 is sharper than anything else I have in my arsenal including the 50 f1.8 AF and the 105 f2.8 AF micro -- they weren't pictorially as interesting.</p>

<p>So here's a portrait of our dog Annie at the beach in Carmel early this August. She had jumped in the water and rolled in the sand making her fur a mixture of black hair and white sand. The sand is bright white, so I was worried about contrast, but the sky was overcast (softens shadows, taking down contrast) and I got lucky on exposure. I did a tiny amount of cropping with gimp plus increased contrast a hair and reduced brightness.</p><div>00XbhY-297299584.JPG.9cdf0e88e7d433be9a6bf733c9e68585.JPG</div>

<p>Greetings from Seattle! Hope everyone had a safe and happy Halloween. And if you don't celebrate Halloween, I hope you had a safe and happy Sunday! My contribution is a pic of my son in his "striped tiger costume". It was worn in 2005 by our daughter...so it has a lot of meaning. I guess now, we can pass it on to another future striped tiger....grrr!</p><div>00Xbhe-297301584.jpg.484e1d5cc1471c24d9673766fc484b37.jpg</div>

<p>I finally took the plunge into so called full-frame, purchasing a camera with about 1/10 price of and probably 1/1000 features of a D700. An F3HP. I quickly changed the standard K focusing screen to E I got cheap from Great Bay, just to make it more like that of my D200 when I am looking through it :). I intend to do some B&W work, but began with cheap Fuji color negative I bought from Wal-Mart. I was absolutely right. I never used a film SLR, only a Minolta P & S for a few years, which was stolen long ago at a train station. What happened now was that I did not install the film correctly, and I realized that during the shooting. Anyway, I was proud to win a mysterious Mona Lisa smile from the Costco lady when she asked my name to confirm that I was the owner of that unexposed film. I did become smarter. The second roll was correctly installed and correctly exposed. Compared with D200, I wish my F3HP has spot metering, which I use the most, and electronic exposure indicator, which makes quick adjustment of exposure easier. And I have mixed feeling to that tiny but cute grip though… Ok, stop rambling.<br /> So this is a picture from the second roll. It is just a street shot when I was walking to my daughter’s day care. Developed at Costco, scanned as slide film with Epson 4800 in my laboratory and adjusted at PS CS3. Laborious, but fun so far. Still in honeymoon I guess.</p><div>00Xbi3-297307584.thumb.jpg.0f92b909ff227221b26191e8a78111fc.jpg</div>

<p>Some locations/scenes are indeed "more than meets the eye." Case in point: Kauai's incomparable Kalalau Valley, truly one of the most spectacular vistas these eyes have ever experienced. Step up to the edge and look straight down into a 4,000-foot chasm that, for me, was equal parts gorgeous and terrifying -- just the memory of it makes me weak in the knees all over again. Weather changes rapidly at this elevation, from clouds to rain to sun to an occasional rainbow. Unforgettable.</p><div>00XbiK-297321584.JPG.fbc16a917fc8cfd8464f2b94feb1155e.JPG</div>

<p>wow, some incredible images already.</p>

<p>mine is a bit more modest, but serves a purpose: testing out a new (for me, anyway) lens.</p>

<p>my apartment building recently got painted--apparently a once-a-decade task for the landlord--and so when this painter propped himself up on a tall ladder to finish the trim--i'm on the third floor--i thought, well, this would be a good time to try my recently-acquired sigma 15-30. i like the perspective in the shot a lot, but i did pick up some reflections from the window which make it less than gallery-quality. still, somewhat amusing, and efinitely a slice-of-life moment.</p>

<p>about the sigma 15-30, in case you're wondering: sharper than tokina 12-24 on DX. good wide open and doesn't improve that much stopped down. funky MF clutch ring, which you'll either hate or learn to live with. decent to good build quality (typical sigma EX). has petal hood, no filters, and metal removable front cap. a little big but other FF UWAs are bigger, and balances well on D300s. huge bulbous lens. and 15-30 is actually a good range on DX too. 24-30mm is great for people pics, and you can pull back a little for group shots or a lot for landscape. looking forward to experimenting with this a bit more as i've been using the 12-24 a lot. the copy i have was definitely well-used, but the glass is perfect.</p>

<p> </p><div>00XbiX-297323784.jpg.778b023a560c55c5b150e08f93116769.jpg</div>

<p>Hi all,<br>

great pictures as usual. my modest addition was taken last week when, up late, i looked out the dining room window, saw the moon, grabbed my D300 and 300mm f/4.5 AiS lens and kneeling with arms wedged against the window frame and elbows on the sill i took this shot of the old cheese.</p><div>00Xbj2-297333584.jpg.1c1709bd55cb68de0c670bb7c077c547.jpg</div>

<p>Good morning All...<br>

This is a picture of someone who has taken an old "Metro"entrance and made it "HOME"<br>

If the graffiti hadn't caught my attention, I never would have seen the guy sleeping...</p><div>00Xbj7-297331584.jpg.c171eae771943799bd6dcea7d0b04a08.jpg</div>

<p>The company I work for here in the Silicon Valley (northern California) had a pumkin carving contest last week. This is one of the more interesting entries.</p>

<p>Nikon D700 with 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR version 1 @116mm, f5.6, 1/60 sec and ISO 200, SB-800 flash bounced off the ceiling.</p><div>00Xbjb-297339684.jpg.93acc6e4430c84837cf0e80597dca536.jpg</div>