Nikon Wednesday 2022: #9

Matt Laur

Note:
In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

What's that old curse? "May you live in interesting times." Sure enough, huh? But the product photography needs are still there. A regular client makes something that you don't see on Amazon or at the hardware store. This was a challenge, because the convex exterior is shiny and therefore the devil to work with, and I had to sneak a speedlight in SU-4 (optical slave) mode inside the helmet so the internal eyepiece could be backlit and seen through the tinted visor. This shot took hours, as simple as it appears to be. Got any deceptively simple images to share? Or anything at all, for that matter! A good Nikon Wednesday to all.

2022-03-02_scorpion.thumb.jpg.e68688c9ddc88ed8be7e25f2a9141951.jpg

• Like 5

convex exterior is shiny and therefore the devil to work with

Great Result! I hope the client appreciates you...:)

I guess I might have tried polarised lights AND camera filter and taken a bunch and blended them in PShop afterwards. Big moving light and a 20 second exposure maybe?

But yes, spherical and shiny.....:eek:

First two were from a Tuesday night Agility lesson. The last one was from an Agility event held in San Martin, CA last Saturday.

_TB58501_Photonet.jpg

_TB58498_Photonet.jpg

_TB58722_Photonet.jpg

I've been using the Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8 a lot for this sort of stuff lately. Shooting it wide open can be exasperating, not only because of the shallow DOF but also because it seems like the lens' AF performance weirdly seems better if it is stopped down a nudge.

Edited by tonybeach_1961
  • Like 5

Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8

My favourite lens on the D500 for horse cross country. 1/2000 @ f4 Auto ISO.

it seems like the lens' AF performance weirdly seems better if it is stopped down a nudge.

Hummm, weird indeed. I'd thought the AF was done wide open whatever the aperture set? Although mirrorless is different in that regard. I haven't tried this lens on my Z6ii in DX mode.

• Like 2

"...it seems like the lens' [sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8] AF performance weirdly seems better if it is stopped down a nudge."

Hmmm, weird indeed. I'd thought the AF was done wide open whatever the aperture set? Although mirrorless is different in that regard. I haven't tried this lens on my Z6ii in DX mode.

Yes, weird indeed. I'm engaging in a real-world stress test with poor lighting and challenging tracking, and I haven't done it long enough to have a good sampling.

My guess at this time is that it might be a lighting issue and maybe the tail is wagging the dog (i.e., I'm nudging the aperture in response to very slightly improved lighting or slower moving subjects, either of which could improve the hit rate). However, I've also seen this in broad daylight, so my observations right now are provisional.

• Like 1

Yes, weird indeed. I'm engaging in a real-world stress test with poor lighting and challenging tracking, and I haven't done it long enough to have a good sampling.

My guess at this time is that it might be a lighting issue and maybe the tail is wagging the dog (i.e., I'm nudging the aperture in response to very slightly improved lighting or slower moving subjects, either of which could improve the hit rate). However, I've also seen this in broad daylight, so my observations right now are provisional.

The Sigma 50-100 shows some focus shift as a result of not fully correcting for spherical aberration. This is most noticeable in the f-range from f/1.8 to f/2.5, close focus distances and longer focal lengths where a slight focus shift towards longer distances is observed. Might explain why you observe better results when stopping down slightly - but, of course, this should not affect AF speed but only the focus accuracy in the final image (as focusing is always carried out with a fully open aperture). Also, the 50-100 seems to need very careful AF calibration using Sigma's USB dock as it apparently tends to shift from front focusing to back focusing when zoomed in. Lastly, AF performance may also depend on which AF points of the D500 you are using - performance usually suffers the farther away the selected AF points are from the center.

• Like 2