Nikon Wednesday 2021: #42

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Matt Laur, Oct 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Had a moment between video takes the other day to shoot some stills. These young folks were practicing Olympic-style air rifle marksmanship, making tiny little holes in black paper dots about an inch wide, from ten meters away. An incredibly quiet, almost meditative sport. Definitely takes young eyes, a young nervous system, and very steady hands/arms/legs/breathing. They'd all make good no-tripod-having dawn/dusk landscape photographers :)

Share some photos on this mid-October Nikon Wednesday! This one was with a D810 and a 24-70/2.8.

2021-10-19_anschutz.jpg

2. Ray House

Ray House Ray House

3. I went to see Finlandia Trophy two weeks ago; in 2020 the competition had been cancelled (as it was not considered safe) and it looked at first like there would not be much of an audience during the pairs competition this year. Fortunately during the weekend there were more spectators.

D6, 70-200/2.8 FL, f/2.8, 70mm, 1/1600s, ISO 2500.

skate_wed1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. Juulia Turkkila and Matthias Versluis during their rhythm dance. D6, VR 200/2G II, f/2, 1/1250s, ISO 1250.

juulia7wed.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Nick D., Sanford, bnelson and 6 others like this.
  5. There was a new star in town as Kamila Valieva made a new world record in the ladies free program and overall points. D6, VR 200/2G II, f/2, 1/1250s, ISO 1250.

kamila18wed.jpg

Nick D., Ray House, bnelson and 4 others like this.
  6. D780 and 24-85mm AFS G Nikkor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick D., Scherzer, and 5 others like this.
  7. Z6 50mm f1.8S 1/13th f2.5 iso 100

D21_2359.jpg

8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

On the California Central Coast, in the small town Moss Landing, they started a tour boat service last year. The name for the boat is El Cat, and that is not Spanish or something. It is short for electric catamaran, because the boat is powered by two electric motors. The advantage is that there is no exhaust and fume. (However, I think they charge the battery with a generator, which uses either natural gas or gasoline.) That boat is very low so that it has no trouble going under a highway bridge, and that low angle is good for photographing wildlife. I have been on that a couple of times.

The timing of their business is not that good, though. They started those tours in the spring of 2020, around the same time Covid-19 became a serious problem around the world.

Both images: Nikon Z6 with 24-200mm

_DSC8113.jpg

_DSC8120.jpg

9. Z7 85mm 1.8s
    My Mom got caught up in the Y2K panic and ran out to the surplus store and the man sold her this, I had to laugh, so I came across it the other day and thought with current events this should make a interesting shot.

gasmaskweb.jpg

10. McKinney Falls, Austin, Texas 750_6097-Edit.jpg

Nick D., , bgelfand and 5 others like this.
  11. Sea Lion, Monterey Bay, D80.
    Monterey Bay 10_3.jpg

Nick D., bgelfand, bnelson and 3 others like this.
  12. _DSC0256-Edit-Edit.jpg
    Turkey Vulture.
    Z7ii. Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S with Z TC-2.0x at 400mm. 1/2500 sec @ f/5.6. ISO 800

Nick D., bgelfand, bnelson and 2 others like this.
  13. Dome of St Louis Courthouse
    MO-StL-Courthouse-dome.jpg
    Nikkormat EL, Nikkor 20mm f/4

14. Zion National Park, D100 IR Converted.
    DSC_9706_copy.jpg

15. Summer's last gasp on Lincoln Gap.

last gasp on lincoln gap.jpg

16. Through the window
    0041NIK Niño Gafas a través Ventana NAFS18-105VR.jpg Nikkor AF-S 18-105 (105) on D2X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.