Nikon Wednesday 2021: #16

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

What was I saying just one Nikon Wednesday ago about spring finally arriving? OK, now it's really really arrived. Because the pollen is going bonkers. I'm hesitant to swap lenses anywhere outside right now with this toxic sticky organic dust arriving in drifts. Next stop: our 17-year cicada brood is due any minute now, and it's going to be a doozy. So, here's what I was trying to breath through, today. Share some shots that don't make my eyes water!

2021-04-20_pollen_1.thumb.jpg.70f29d30568ea25db154876d501e1396.jpg

2021-04-20_pollen_2.thumb.jpg.b75df7333b0589f1e85dfeac7f41c532.jpg

• Like 2

Anna did well. Photography's not bad, also.

Thanks. To photograph hummingbirds, one needs to be patient. Moreover, you have not seen the huge number of images I deleted. This practice would have been almost prohibitively expensive during the film era. I captured those images yesterday, machinegun style, and I had about 400 frames after one hour. In the old days, that would have been say 10 rolls of slide film, at $10 a roll for film and processing ....

• Like 3

I'm a bit amused by the auto censor. In the shot above, in case anyone from not around these parts is wondering, I am not swearing at those little buds. Those willows are named after an affectionate term for little cats, whose double-entendre was unintentional.

Added note on hummingbirds. I recall my grandfather, an early adopter of the old Barnack Leicas, strove mightily for years to catch a hummingbird, and was thrilled when he finally did. I got a couple on film much later, and they were points of great pride. Hooray for digital!

D850, 500PF, 1/2000s, f/5.6

ISO 180

51128543636_60457eb197_b.jpg

ISO 250

51129896093_b0e7c8cfa1_b.jpg

ISO 320

51129726362_c754a71d7d_b.jpg

I wonder what these would look like without AutoISO turned on? ISO 180 (the sequence started with 120 and a totally empty blue sky) appears a tad too low; ISO 320 (the highest in the sequence) appears a tad too much; 250 or 280 would have been OK for the entire sequence. Which is probably what I would have set the camera too as I was shooting another egret on the ground but in the same light. Just can't bring myself to turn AutoISO off:rolleyes:

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 5

D850, 500PF, 1/2000s, f/5.6

I wonder what these would look like without AutoISO turned on? ISO 180 (the sequence started with 120 and a totally empty blue sky) appears a tad too low; ISO 320 (the highest in the sequence) appears a tad too much; 250 or 280 would have been OK for the entire sequence. Which is probably what I would have set the camera too as I was shooting another egret on the ground but in the same light. Just can't bring myself to turn AutoISO off:rolleyes:

Many years ago, I shot for an hour with a similar subject, a snowy egret, which also has completely white feathers. At the time I was using a Nikon D2X, which puts it back ground 2006 or so. It was around 9, 10am with full sunlight that wasn't changing much any more. I metered it once and then just switched to manual exposure mode. And I used the same exposure for that one hour. Everything came out fine.

If your flying bird subject is going in and out of shadows, e.g. a forest, or there are backlit situations, that is a different story.