Nikon Wednesday 2019: #5

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Just like the weather people said: that shifty polar vortex is turning on some real cold. It's even freezing the light coming out of my dog walking flashlight. Stay warm, folks! And share some photos on this Nikon Wednesday.

breath_light.thumb.jpg.3d9e0e48a5c65aaff7aba92b32c114c8.jpg

• Like 2

Piedras Blancas, near San Simeon.

Piedras Blancas (in Spanish, white stones) is a relatively new California elephant seal colony, starting from around year 2000. It is about 3 miles north of the entrance to the Hearst Castle on Highway 1. The other, better known colony is Ano Neuvo (New Year Island) in San Mateo County, north of Santa Cruz. I have been to both a few times, but it is easier to access Piedras Blancas, which is on my way from the San Francisco area to Los Angeles when I drive along the coast.

Nice image from Dieter.

Ano Neuvo

It is my understanding that one has to make reservations and that access is via guided walks only? I've never been (too far for a day trip from where I live) but from what I've seen, one might get closer to (and level with) the elephant seals than is possible at Piedras Blancas. One disadvantage of photographing at Piedras Blancas that the elephant seals are almost always backlit and that one has to photograph from elevated positions.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that one has to make reservations and that access is via guided walks only? I've never been (too far for a day trip from where I live) but from what I've seen, one might get closer to (and level with) the elephant seals than is possible at Piedras Blancas. One disadvantage of photographing at Piedras Blancas that the elephant seals are almost always backlit and that one has to photograph from elevated positions.

Ano Neuvo is quite popular and you indeed need to make a reservation for the guided tour. A friend of mine is a biology professor at Stanford and occasionally she also works as a volunteer guide at Ano Neuvo. Therefore, you could run into some extremely knowledgeable guides. The main issue with Ano Neuvo is that it is a long way around to get there either from the north or south. After you park, it is a 45-minute walk to reach the colonies. You are with the guide so that the amount of time you have for photography and the time of the day are both restricted.

Piedras Blancas is right next to its parking lot. When I first went there in year 2000, there was no boardwalk and one could go right on the beach, but we were really way too close to the elephant seals. The boardwalk was added a few years later as that spot became popular. I typically stay overnight in that area so that I get to photograph the seals first late in the afternoon and then the next morning. The morning tends to be less crowded and the lighting maybe better.

It has been 10 years since I last went to Ano Neuvo and a few years for Piedras Blancas. Therefore my info could be a bit out of date.