Nikon Wednesday 2019: #10

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Just another work-a-day project with a client, cranking through 200 images documenting some vehicle interiors in a couple of hours. Yes, I know it looks like incredibly glamorous, exotic stuff. But sometimes a shower is just a shower, even if it is in the middle of a big truck. Please share some more interesting stuff on this Nikon Wednesday!

renegade_coach_2019-03.thumb.jpg.fec7e3eee0dc42428ed8f4806c689b29.jpgD810 with a 14-24/2.8 and some funky light to work in!

• Like 5

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Just another work-a-day project with a client, cranking through 200 images documenting some vehicle interiors in a couple of hours. Yes, I know it looks like incredibly glamorous, exotic stuff. But sometimes a shower is just a shower, even if it is in the middle of a big truck. Please share some more interesting stuff on this Nikon Wednesday!

[ATTACH=full]1285875[/ATTACH]D810 with a 14-24/2.8 and some funky light to work in!

Matt, great image. I wonder how you light this image. That is all inside some big truck? It looks like there is a skylight above the shower.

Also I noticed that you managed to remove a lot of the distortion from the 14-24mm/f2.8, which is not a easy lens to use.

Matt, great image. I wonder how you light this image. That is all inside some big truck? It looks like there is a skylight above the shower.

Also I noticed that you managed to remove a lot of the distortion from the 14-24mm/f2.8, which is not a easy lens to use.

Hi Shun

Yes, when I shoot the interiors on these large motor sports RVs (they're used for teams pulling large trailers that haul race cars), I've learned to let the natural light come in through the windows and skylights, and let the vehicle's interior lighting simply do what it does. And then it's usually (since I'm in a hurry) a slow-ish exposure, hand held, with a moderate aperture and without the ISO pushed too hard. The D810's NEF files have a huge amount of latitude, so I just make sure I'm not blowing things out too badly, and then can play with the curve and the white balance to produce something that fairly well re-creates the experience of being in the vehicle. It's FAR too easy to drink in more light than is really there, and produce a scene that feels to bright and cheery, and doesn't reflect the scene realistically.

As it happens, Adobe's Camera Raw tools do a pretty good job of straightening out that wide lens's distortions (which really aren't bad, considering that big field of view). The automatic corrections (which are based on it knowing what lens was used) sometimes need a big of manual correction to the barrel distortion. Then I almost always have to make for my own human-eye keystoning problems, because I'm moving quickly and not on a tripod (though the finder's gridlines help a lot!). White balance is always a problem because I've got three or four different sources with their own strange temps and not-at-all-smooth spectra. It takes about three hours to shoot every bit of the interior and exterior of one of these 40' vehicles, including some drone shots from the outside to help the audience visualize things. I spend at least that much time in post, usually more. It's a chore!

• Like 1