Nikon Wednesday 2018: #4

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Last week I popped in with a shot from a puppy portrait session I'd just shot. As it always does, it took some off-and-on work in post over a few days to get everything wrapped up, printed, and delivered for all nine pups. Here are three more from that shoot. First, one of the nine pups in portrait-for-the-new-owner mode, and then a couple more shots I did for my own amusement. It feels like a good Nikon Wednesday to share anything that's a follow-up to an earlier posting, if one's in the mood. Or anything you've got! Let's see 'em, Nikon people.

Here's an example of the delivered shots:

gsp_pup_2018_04.thumb.jpg.057fee5ed64039afb59d7b0d038bbe4b.jpg

D810 at ISO 100 and 1/200th with a Sigma 105/2.8 Macro from about six feet. Buff lighting.

And, couple just-for-fun shots, using the Sigma 35/1.4 from much closer to the talent.

gsp_pup_2018_03.thumb.jpg.528fbf678757a1e2bf2f347d82334d3d.jpg

gsp_pup_2018_02.thumb.jpg.1f8811e54c8706675ad74924c9be0c21.jpg

• Like 5

For those who suffered the Colorado low Monday and Tuesday, here is a shot of San Francisco Beach here in Uruguay to warm you up. It is high tourist season here and many of the people on this beach were probably from Argentina. The beach is about 2km long and it was like this the entire length. The coast of Uruguay is lined by beaches like this.

1408241229_SanFranciscoBeach.thumb.jpg.97f2ce02b922e51ba0187297cf802ce1.jpg

D7100 Sigma 150-500mm @500mm 1/400th f10

• Like 4

The theme of the week seems to be clearing a backlog, which is just as well since I'm on a business trip and didn't take my Nikon for once.

These are from the same sequence as last week's geese, so 200-500, D810, somewhere between 1/250s and 1/500 and f/7.1 at ISOs around 100-200 on the water and 1100 for the pigeons.

I'll go with a bread theme, because someone had been feeding. Pigeons throwing it around first:

[ATTACH=full]1229503[/ATTACH]

(Incidentally, I've had trouble posting and liking things - I hope this works. Anyone else having trouble?)

• Like 1

Not real dogs. ;) But at least it's kind of in the theme! D750+ a rented 24-70.

[ATTACH=full]1229463[/ATTACH]

Hi YardKat. There's something funky going on with PNet and yours and Heimbrant's photos. I tried to like them, but it doesn't work. So you photo may be liked by amny, but none show up. Love the Corgi model. We've got 2 real ones.

• Like 1

The theme of the week seems to be clearing a backlog, which is just as well since I'm on a business trip and didn't take my Nikon for once.

These are from the same sequence as last week's geese, so 200-500, D810, somewhere between 1/250s and 1/500 and f/7.1 at ISOs around 100-200 on the water and 1100 for the pigeons.

I'll go with a bread theme, because someone had been feeding. Pigeons throwing it around first:

(Sorry if this duplicates - anyone else having comment/"like" problems?)

Pigeonbread.thumb.jpg.66614e35008404b0633b16ca64d12224.jpg

• Like 5

Yes but it seems to have been fixed.

• Like 1

Matt, nicely done, great expressions. Looks like your lighting is a near horizontal strip box R, a fill LF low and a kicker high rear? Do you use anything like mink oil on their coats? I like the texture of your sweep as well. Had the pleasure to meet the Buff folks that have been so helpful over the years at PPA in Nashville and since they had a vendor exhibit, I didn't have to leave and go to the factory there.

Matt, nicely done, great expressions. Looks like your lighting is a near horizontal strip box R, a fill LF low and a kicker high rear? Do you use anything like mink oil on their coats? I like the texture of your sweep as well. Had the pleasure to meet the Buff folks that have been so helpful over the years at PPA in Nashville and since they had a vendor exhibit, I didn't have to leave and go to the factory there.

Hi Bob

Indeed - the key light is one of Buff's discontinued pack-and-head systems high and right in a strip-shaped softbox with a grid. There's some fill from an Einstein being bounced off a large white surface (some curtains!) behind the camera position, chest-high, a bit left. And then high and left behind the pup is a B800 using a honeycomb, providing that hair light. The sweep is a role of Savage seamless paper draped from a C-stand's boom arm, and then clamped to the front of the four foot table we were using. If I recall, that's Savage's "storm grey." It can be pushed bright or dark without much trouble, and can be used to considerable drama, or blah-nothing as one sees fit. Lopped off the bottom few feet when we were done ... puppy drool and whatnot all over it! Here's a quick phone-cam shot from the breeder's living room. You can't see the fill light, but you can see the glow from the hair light's modeling lamp, and the strip box high, right.

Edit: nope, just a damp paper towel on those pups to get the crud off of them. I still - especially on the liver-colored pups - inevitably have to spend some time cloning out bits of stuff on their coats. That lens and fancy-pants D810 sensor captures EVERYTHING. And puppies are just plain dirty!

pup_bts.thumb.jpg.ca8730e4f443130cc44d8fb73814d6da.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry folks, photo.net seems to have some glitches such that new posts were accumulating but didn't actually show up to the threads. Later on, they all appeared such that some people's repeated attempts end up as (many) duplicated posts.

Hopefully things are back to normal now.

2_8289.thumb.jpg.89f15d0180c2c02f0de468023e0dc086.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for sorting out my mess, Shun (if that was you).

Back to the bread. Someone chucked some in the river, and everything kicked off. As ever, if only we were allowed four images... but this is the happy outcome, where at least four birds (five if you count the duck with its head under water, whose mouth you can't see in this shot) got some.

Gotbread.thumb.jpg.f683c3d8a27afbf9563d054c582f31e2.jpg

Edited by Andrew Garrard
  • Like 3