Nikon Wednesday 2018: #36

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

A good Nikon Wednesday to all - first one in September! Can't believe how fast the time goes. But September or not, it's still incredibly hot and swampy out, here. Perfect for catching up with some indoor product photography work. Anyone else stick to the macro lens and the table-top lighting this week? No? Anything else will do just fine - share some photos!

chains.thumb.jpg.ad3eaa7c4feb800a23ce4861d79ac399.jpgShot with a D810 and a 105mm macro.

• Like 5

Continuing the night of the arts in Helsinki images; the Human Net included 40 performers hanging from a new lifted by a crane in Senate Square. D5, 105/1.4E, f/1.4, 1/320s, ISO 400.

human_net.thumb.jpg.c2431bcb2ff7bc1cf600a43d0bd30d8c.jpg

D5, 105/1.4E, f/1.4, 1/500s, ISO 1600.

human_net2.thumb.jpg.ca16f7e9888ecf27289e45f0bc4222de.jpg

Finally some warmer colours.

human_net3.thumb.jpg.ec0fd0b3d3ee983f9dd95356cf9012b5.jpg

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 4

Andrew, my whale watching photography attempts have all been complete failures. Grey, out of focus lumps. Where were your's taken?

This time it was from Vancouver (technically the boat went from Steveston, home, I discovered, of Once Upon A Time) with Vancouver Whale Watch - they helpfully have a "if you don't see a whale, come back for free" policy, so I did it near the start of my holiday just in case. I've had luck from Victoria on Vancouver Island, too. There are some resident orcas in this area, along with some transient pods. Apparently they have humpbacks too, but the only time I've seen them was from Perth in Australia - and before I learned about telephoto lenses (it was a contributing factor). A 500mm help with the orcas around Vancouver, and the boats try to stay a distance away, but they do sometime approach the boats (causing an emergency stop). Quite cool to see, although they're obviously behaving fairly naturally and just swimming around, so no massive SeaWorld-esque leaps (one did swim past upside down at one point, though). They emerge for air then dive after a couple of seconds, so I suspect some compacts would struggle to lock on in time - the boats tend to sway a bit as well, which doesn't help framing. Better luck with your next attempt!

Since we've been talking aquatics, here's something I couldn't have done with a Z7: three consecutive frames at 9fps with the viewfinder for composition. I don't normally waste my Wednesday budget on sequences, but there's a first time for everything.

(Captive) sea otter, just after being fed in Vancouver Aquarium. It did this several times - I hope this weird inverse diving (it's not quite breaching like a whale) was either about cleaning or the otter had made a game for itself; I hope it's not a sign of the kind of mental issues some animals in captivity have (although these otters aren't suitable for release anyway), but Vancouver Aquarium normally seems to be on top of wellfare.

D850, grip, ISO 900, 1/4000s, 70-200 f/2.8FL at f/4.

850_2393_openWith.thumb.jpg.205f86443b4342f41874d20da327c8f3.jpg

• Like 5