Nikon Wednesday 2018: #25

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Just some work-a-day photography on this Nikon Wednesday. A quick shot from a gray day in funky light, trying to balance the natural light with the interior working lights on this shiny new race hauler. At least they've started using bright, high-quality LED lighting on these rigs, now - so much easier to deal with than the older mix of 12v incandescents and generator-powered fluorescents. No time for a tripod or even a quick hand-held HDR mashup on this one, so I get what I can get! What have the rest of you been up to? Share some photos!

inTech_42.thumb.jpg.053e45880d8b36ecf9a2e7a0c76097b0.jpg

D810 at ISO 200 and 1/25th with a 14-24/2.8 at f/6.3 and 17mm.

• Like 3

A juvenile bald eagle has fallen from the nest onto the ground. Fortunately he wasn't injured (at least not seriously), but he cannot quite fly yet and there is no way to get him back onto the nest without risking his other sibling there. Eventually he was taken to rehab, with the hope that he can be reunited with his family until he is really ready to leave the nest for good.

_5003758.thumb.jpg.974269ca4a796304b24f0ac59295786b.jpg

_D5A6288.thumb.jpg.4c068f251e0b5a5d7141d8483a0a5259.jpg

• Like 3

Earlier this month I accomplished a long held dream of riding up to and circling Lake Superior on the bike in my avatar, a BMW R1200GS. All shots with D810 and the 24/70 or the 70/200. The lighthouse with Live View focusing REALLY zoomed in (makes a difference). The other two are hand held with auto focus

Split Rock Lighthouse

Lake%20Superior%20Ride%20062018-129-XL.jpg

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park

Lake%20Superior%20Ride%20062018-177-XL.jpg

On the road, countryside near Great River Road Iowa/Wisconsin border

Lake%20Superior%20Ride%20062018-112-X2.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry I'm a bit late - I solemnly swear I shot these before last Wednesday, it's just taken me until now to process them.

I promised infrared photos from my (690nm-converted) D90. All of these are with the 28-80 f/3.3-5.6G, generally at f/8. It works fine in infrared, but between it and the D90's AA filter, these required way more sharpening than I'm used to. Apologies for any ringing.

Now, obviously I have the traditional shots of dark skies and glowing foliage, but I believe photography is about showing people something they're not seen before, at least in the way you're showing it, so I'm not going to do that (until next week, when I'm out of ideas). So... please don't tell me everyone's seen damselflies mating in infrared before?

DSC_0317_openWith.thumb.jpg.108ce7d11a1a4d9fab3390ec142bcbf6.jpg

• Like 2

Things I didn't know until last week: swans look like flamingos in infrared (whereas ducks and geese look normal). Unlike the other two, this isn't channel swapped - the swan looks pink on the camera's LCD too. (The sun was going down, so this could be more spectacular...)

DSC_0604_openWith.thumb.jpg.f6a820d8b8cfe496ee10930794f6c85d.jpg

And finally... infrared squirrel (actually a grey). I noticed a couple of squirrels eating out of the bins in the car park by the local pond, which happens to be also next to a McDonald's. I can't believe this is good for them, but I've not heard of this behaviour before. I'm going to go back with a D850 and a 200 f/2 and see whether I can get better photos in normal light before they die of cholesterol poisoning. (I've tried once and saw a tail briefly in the bin as I was parking, but once I got out of the car with a camera I got sworn at by some teenagers who thought I was taking photos of them eating in their vehicle; they apparently had a squint and an odd opinion of what makes for a good photo, but they were loud enough that I saw no more squirrels - so I need to have another go.) Anyway... until I win some competition's "urban wildlife" category with that photo, here's a soft and grainy version in IR. You're welcome. :-)

DSC_0710_openWith.thumb.jpg.a23ec28a2cf086f8a63fa9143b4550c3.jpg