Nikon Wednesday 2018: #15

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Well it is Nikon Wednesday, and it's always tied somehow to Nikon gear, right? I haven't picked up any new Nikon glass in quite a while, but did this week. No, it's not an F-mount. But it's telescopic, it zooms, it's got coated lenses, and it's got that gold Nikon logo on it. And just to make sure I'm safe, I did take its portrait with a Nikon body and speedlight. What's everybody else been up to? Share some photos!

nikon_scope.thumb.jpg.b54c0999c0bf1bc65fe083b3ca878ab6.jpg

D810 at ISO 100 and 1/200th with a Sigma 105/2.8 Macro at f/11. Off-camera SB800 Speedlight controlled by CLS through the onboard pop-up flash.

• Like 5

I donated some time to a Veteran's organization. In appreciation, they gave me this cool silver coin. It was fun dealing with something so close up that's highly polished and reflective.

wnr_80066_20180404-Edit.thumb.jpg.5608b687f627008458ef7144a618343c.jpg

Nikon D5 & 105mm f/2.8 @ 1/30, f/5.6, ISO100 focus stack shot with Helicon Remote (29 images) and stitched together using Helicon Focus.

• Like 5

Apparently, I had D5 envy or something going on when I posted my photo. I don't own a D5. I've only seen a D5 in person one time, and I didn't even get to touch it. I took it with a D4.

:) Well, I was going to ask why you were using a D5 for macro shots. Not that it can't do them, but a low resolution camera with a poor low-ISO dynamic range and an enormous body seemed like an odd choice - if, of course, you have an alternative. I guess the same question applies to the D4 with even worse resolution, but with better low-ISO dynamic range! Not that there's anything wrong with the results, I hasten to add.

(To be clear: The high-ISO performance of the D5 is absolutely the obvious trade-off for a sports/journalism camera - I expect the target market to be in poor lighting but not to have much time for image editing the dynamic range most of the time, and therefore to care a lot more about how well the camera performs in bad conditions than how well it performs in good ones. I'm the reverse, with my D810. I've always thought of the D4 and D4s as better generalists than the D5 - not quite there at high ISO, but better at low ISO. But macro shots would lead me to the D810 end of the equation. And I've just learned that the D4s keeps the D5 a bit more honest at high ISO than I thought it did, at least according to DxO. Maybe I should be watching the used market...)

Edited by Andrew Garrard
  • Like 1

The tall ships are here in Punta de Este, Uruguay on their way around Cape Horn and then on to celebrate a significant date with the Chilean Navy on the other side of South America. Maybe this one had pirates that left some goodies on the island? See the lads sitting on the mast? Man, I love it here! D7100 Sigma 150-500mm.381266888_TallshiplowIsalnd.thumb.jpg.60c9ec8d94d6403d77ccc1607341f197.jpg
  • Like 5