Nikon Wednesday 2018: #13

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Making your way west out of the hills of the Mid-Atlantic states back in the early 1800's was not easy. Some of the best routes included wrestling with mountain streams and rivers inhospitable to wagons. The Casselman River, in western Maryland, was one such barrier for many. In 1813, a stone bridge was built to usher pioneers and traders across that obstacle, and it still stands today. When it was built, it was the largest stone arch structure in the nation. I was used steadily well into the 20th century. Now, it's just another park to visit. But the Casselman Bridge is still quite a thing to see in person. Shot any famous piles of rocks lately? Share some photos!

casselman_bridge_1.thumb.jpg.330411e6126940bc3b373c4b1c23986c.jpg

• Like 5

Maybe not a famous pile of stones but a replica of the famous "Swilken bridge" at St Andrews golf course in Scotland. This replica was built a few years ago enabling local golfers to cross a stream which protects the green of our par 3 third hole. Usually more water in the stream but the cold weather means no snow melt nor green grass for the moment

BMC_5989.thumb.jpg.61ccf10ccfc153608202e2a1ac783a1f.jpg

• Like 5

But once upon a time, that building appears to have been a one room schoolhouse, and remains of the paneling and plastering of walls linger. This figure always gives me a bit of a smile, as I imagine a student doing it idly and being surprised by the teacher at an inopportune moment.

396363966_incompletegeometry.thumb.jpg.f5f7a44229d989fedd4fb215954ea20f.jpg

Edited by Matthew Currie
  • Like 4

it's been years since I could attend.

Only went the last two years. Before that, always something interfered. Certainly the best airshow within "easy" reach from where I live. Debating whether or not to go with the sunrise photo access pass this year. Had one last year but the weather didn't cooperate too well.