Nikon Wednesday 2018: #12

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Sometimes it's nice to play tourist within miles of where you normally hang out. In the DC area, there are short drives to so many interesting historical spots that it's easy to become blind to them. Maryland's original capitol city was St. Mary's City ... which was little more than a village of small colonial structures around the original State House, built in the 1600's. Fun to walk these old places, and look at the seat of government, which was smaller than many contemporary nearby suburban homes. Here's a quick shot looking through the open doors of the original space in which the General Assembly met - just yards from where those early sailing vessels would dock. Share some photos, touristy or otherwise!

state_house.thumb.jpg.0d5680668e5aed054fd14419c0d72b44.jpg

• Like 5

I have been so busy, no time to get the camera out of the bag. But his week I shot a photo of a blanket made by a group of people to honor a retiring colleague. Each of us knit 1 or 2 individual squares and it was put together by our organizer. 247572870_Claudias-blanket-19.thumb.jpg.ab31854974ba97eacc9ec11fe363e916.jpg 1797407251_Claudias-blanket-37.thumb.jpg.d45ac5c4fdebc8ad1b16e01a8a75f3cb.jpg
  • Like 5

I was trying to look at the city where I live with a tourist's eye... Now, like most cities in the Netherlands we have a historical center, monumental buildings (some of which are hundreds of years old), and other 'typical touristy things'. But as a foreign visitor, I guess one of the most Dutch things is the everyday use of bicycles. And especially all the folding bikes that people use in combination with cars or public transport.

And alas; even the most humble bikes need motorcylce-strength locks on them. This one is even slightly underprotected IMO...

JHL_7455_jh.thumb.jpg.7309ecb74a232c2e4e6c538eac410c03.jpg

• Like 5

One more image inside the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney. My wife and I have been there once before in 2002 and had a strong impression. The building was originally completed in 1898 but has been remodeled several times. Currently it houses a lot of modern stores and restaurants inside.

Speaking of restaurants, we met up with photo.net moderator William Michael in Sydney

And he treated us to lunch at a restaurant inside that building. Over the years I have met a number of photo.net people in person, but this was the first time outside of the US. It was nice to finally meet William, and thanks for lunch.

_DSC9892.thumb.jpg.90a4e7b714f064fd7421209ff3b48668.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 5

I tried being touristy in the snow, but it didn't really work (possibly because Staines doesn't get many tourists, despite the statues of linoleum workers, vomiting children and angular swans). So I have some snowy abstracts instead.

Wind waves on my car window while I was getting ready to defrost it (D810, 14-24, f/4, heavily cropped):

CarWindow.thumb.jpg.471a712f680dca22e719232272d85122.jpg

• Like 5