Nikon Wednesday 2017: #49

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Matt Laur, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Important: please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Nature generously provided a friendly, short-lived snow for us to enjoy here in the mid-Atlantic area. Just in time for a season bit of Nikon Wednesday-ing. Here, a tripod was called for, as it was a 2.5 second exposure by candle-light. I'm sure some of you encountered some snow, too - share some photos!

flexie-flyer-lantern-wreath.jpg
    D810 at ISO 200 and 2.5 seconds with a Sigma 35/1.4 ART at f/2.2 perched on a tripod.

2. Updating FB??

-c20170629_810_4360-Edit.jpg

John Di Leo and DawsonPointers like this.
  3. No snow where I am in northern California. Would you settle for a kestrel?
    PN-kestrel-7399.jpg

4. From our house here in Uruguay, we can see one tree standing defiantly at the top of a hill as 'king-of-the-castle'. The other trees seem to be cautiously approaching up the slope. Given the sometimes fierce winds and periodic lightning, it must be a very tough tree.
    One tree hill B&W.jpg

5. I had snow this week, but only a tiny dusting. Ten miles north they had four inches; c'est la vie.

I can do you a little frost, though - this was in a sheltered spot. D810, 24-120, polariser (for no good reason).

PNet1.jpg

tom_kotzur, tsypkin, bnelson and 3 others like this.
  6. We actually had semi-photogenic weather in Staines for once. Here's the view from the bridge in my lunchbreak. 24-120, polariser (for a reason this time), D810.

PNet2.jpg

7. Staines is mostly known for swans, and the occasional crow. However, the pigeons are moving in... (D810, 24-120, polariser.)

PNet4.jpg

MarcelRomviel and DawsonPointers like this.
  8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

From the peak on Hong Kong Island, overlooking the Victoria Harbour and the Kowloon Peninsula.

Nikon D850 with 18-35mm AF-S lens @ 18mm, f11, 1/160 sec and base ISO 64.
    I was there last week around noon time such that lighting wasn't the best, but being in December with a lower angle from the sun helped a bit.

When I was growing up in Hong Kong 4, 5 decades ago, the buildings were not nearly as tall such that we had a better view of the harbor. Today, much of that is blocked by this "concrete jungle" unless one shoots from even higher up from an aircraft or drone.

VictoriaHarbour_4541.jpg

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Victoria Harbour at night.

Nikon D850 with 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S VR lens at 48mm, f8, 1 second, and ISO 800 on a tripod. Of course I could have used ISO 64 with a longer time exposure such as 7, 8 seconds, but once again, the motion of the boats in the harbor could be an issue, or that could be a desirable effect. As the way it is now, some of the ships are blurred.

VictoriaHarbourNight_4581.jpg

10. A rare snow in Austin, Texas. DSC_2707.jpg

11. Yup, it snowed. Actually it snowed a little last week...

winter sumac.jpg
    Nikon D7100, the 16-85 shows off its notoriously nasty bokeh.

12. And again this morning.

backyard tree.jpg

DawsonPointers likes this.
  13. No snow, rather warm for the season. This from another time.
    DSC_1313_020DSC_1313.JPG

14. It's a sticky snow this time.

snowcone.jpg

DawsonPointers likes this.
  15. Just a little snow here in Baltimore...

DSC0359.jpg

16. Very nice, subtle.

17. Nikon_17_37.jpg No snow, but Christmas decoration.

18. Another one
    Nikon_17_38.jpg