Nikon Wednesday 2017: #49

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Matt Laur, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Important: please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Nature generously provided a friendly, short-lived snow for us to enjoy here in the mid-Atlantic area. Just in time for a season bit of Nikon Wednesday-ing. Here, a tripod was called for, as it was a 2.5 second exposure by candle-light. I'm sure some of you encountered some snow, too - share some photos!

flexie-flyer-lantern-wreath.jpg
    D810 at ISO 200 and 2.5 seconds with a Sigma 35/1.4 ART at f/2.2 perched on a tripod.

2. erik_christensen|3

erik_christensen|3 Self-employed

Updating FB??

-c20170629_810_4360-Edit.jpg

John Di Leo and DawsonPointers like this.
  3. No snow where I am in northern California. Would you settle for a kestrel?
    PN-kestrel-7399.jpg

4. From our house here in Uruguay, we can see one tree standing defiantly at the top of a hill as 'king-of-the-castle'. The other trees seem to be cautiously approaching up the slope. Given the sometimes fierce winds and periodic lightning, it must be a very tough tree.
    One tree hill B&W.jpg

5. I had snow this week, but only a tiny dusting. Ten miles north they had four inches; c'est la vie.

I can do you a little frost, though - this was in a sheltered spot. D810, 24-120, polariser (for no good reason).

PNet1.jpg

tom_kotzur, tsypkin, bnelson and 3 others like this.
  6. We actually had semi-photogenic weather in Staines for once. Here's the view from the bridge in my lunchbreak. 24-120, polariser (for a reason this time), D810.

PNet2.jpg

7. Staines is mostly known for swans, and the occasional crow. However, the pigeons are moving in... (D810, 24-120, polariser.)

PNet4.jpg

MarcelRomviel and DawsonPointers like this.
  8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

From the peak on Hong Kong Island, overlooking the Victoria Harbour and the Kowloon Peninsula.

Nikon D850 with 18-35mm AF-S lens @ 18mm, f11, 1/160 sec and base ISO 64.
    I was there last week around noon time such that lighting wasn't the best, but being in December with a lower angle from the sun helped a bit.

When I was growing up in Hong Kong 4, 5 decades ago, the buildings were not nearly as tall such that we had a better view of the harbor. Today, much of that is blocked by this "concrete jungle" unless one shoots from even higher up from an aircraft or drone.

VictoriaHarbour_4541.jpg

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Moderator

Victoria Harbour at night.

Nikon D850 with 24-70mm/f2.8 AF-S VR lens at 48mm, f8, 1 second, and ISO 800 on a tripod. Of course I could have used ISO 64 with a longer time exposure such as 7, 8 seconds, but once again, the motion of the boats in the harbor could be an issue, or that could be a desirable effect. As the way it is now, some of the ships are blurred.

VictoriaHarbourNight_4581.jpg

10. A rare snow in Austin, Texas. DSC_2707.jpg

11. Yup, it snowed. Actually it snowed a little last week...

winter sumac.jpg
    Nikon D7100, the 16-85 shows off its notoriously nasty bokeh.

12. And again this morning.

backyard tree.jpg

DawsonPointers likes this.
  13. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

No snow, rather warm for the season. This from another time.
    DSC_1313_020DSC_1313.JPG

14. It's a sticky snow this time.

snowcone.jpg

DawsonPointers likes this.
  15. Just a little snow here in Baltimore...

DSC0359.jpg

16. Very nice, subtle.

17. Nikon_17_37.jpg No snow, but Christmas decoration.

18. Another one
    Nikon_17_38.jpg