Nikon Wednesday 2017: #47

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Howdy fellow Nikon people and a good Wednesday to all. So, the holidays are upon us, and if you're an image-making-person, there's pretty much no escape from employing at least one or two bits of your work on social media, or in some cards, or to circulate by e-mail, or on behalf of a client because of the season. Here's a piece of shameless photoshopping that will have some business graphics/text added to it in another context. But 'tis what 'tis! So, 'fess up and share something you've dolled up for passing around this December. Or better yet: share some good photographs, and never mind all of that!toterhome_christmas.thumb.jpg.3566b4c44a04715c3638ca75f50b979d.jpg

D810 at ISO 1000 and 1/6th sec, with a Nikon 14-24/2.8 at f/5.6 and 20mm. And, a tripod. It was dark out!

• Like 1

Sandhill cranes in flight, Staten Island, California, Nikon D850 with 600mm lens @ f4, 1/800 sec, ISO 64

Since I lived in the New York area for over a decade, when people told me to check out the sandhill cranes in Staten Island, I immediately thought about the borough in New York City. The Staten Island in California is in the Central Valley farm country, near Sacramento. It is just about as different from New York City as you can get.

_DSC4228a.thumb.jpg.e48670b265ded85a159bd6663e26d17f.jpg

• Like 5

two weeks ago I posted a couple of shots from previous Christmas cards I've done for daughter #1 and her brood of 5. The theme is Naughty or Nice or Who's Been Bad or Good.

Here's the Bad and the Good for this year.

Robbing the Whitney National Bank with Nerf guns is bad

Thomas%20Christmas%20Card%20Shootout%202017-111-X2.jpg

and seated posing even with a forced smile is the Good

Thomas%20Christmas%20Card%20Shootout%202017-129-XL.jpg

I made a mistake on the bottom photo...It was with my old nikkor H 50/2, but I had the non-CPU lens set for my 20/2.8 AI. I think it made the focus look soft on the faces, though I zoom live viewed focus on the plaid shirts. I think I like the effect but don't know why it should make a difference. Does the camera, d810, know the attributes of those old different lenses and compensates?

Edited by John Di Leo
  • Like 5

...I think it made the focus look soft on the faces, though I zoom live viewed focus on the plaid shirts. I think I like the effect but don't know why it should make a difference. Does the camera, d810, know the attributes of those old different lenses and compensates?

Only the F-stop might not be as indicated since the camera thought it had a 2.8 lens, not an F2 lens but your exposure seems fine. There are several versions of many older Nikkors, so the camera cannot know exactly which, say non-CPU 50/1.4 Nikkor, you have. Thus it cannot compensate for distorsion and other things. The camera needs to know what the lens's largest F-stop is and wants to know its focal length so it can display the right aperture value and for Auto ISO et cetera to work properly.

Only case I would think of is, if AF fine tune is available for the non-CPU lenses, that is if you can save a back or front focus setting for when the camera should light up the focus confirmation light when using a non-CPU lens. i have not tested that to see if AF fine tune can be made to work that way of AF fine tune is only available for AF-lenses. However, since you used live view you saw what was in focus and what was not.

• Like 1

Shun, looks like you found some good weather at Staten Island.

Last Saturday found these swans at Staten Island. They stay far away from humans, so this has been cropped considerably. [ATTACH=full]1221675[/ATTACH]

B Nelson, as you know, weather in the Central Valley changes quickly. I was there last Saturday. It was very foggy in the morning nut cleared up by noon. We saw the swans also, from afar and didn’t take pictures of them.