Nikon Wednesday 2014: #53

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello Nikon people, and a happy last Wednesday of the year. Oddly enough, the 53rd one this time. To make it more odd, I'm starting the the thread an hour or so early, as events have conspired to make that necessary. I suspect I won't be the only person posting something from the recent festivities. In our case, it was our first attempt at a flaming Christmas pudding, and my first attempt at photographing one. I was glad to comfortably jump that FX sensor up to ISO 2500 - that and a fast lens got me just enough shutter speed to do the job hand-held between after dinner sips, and catch the blue flame of the brandy. I hope everyone has a had a pleasant end of the season, and will be celebrating a fun and safe New Year's Eve.</p><div>00d2TJ-553679584.jpg.31ed91c58f84949255e81d5626a317a9.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shot Matt. The last few days the weather has been raining. My wife had thrown out a poinsettia that was dying, but the raindrops made for an nice shot. I used my Nikon Df with a quantaray(sigma) 60mm/2.8 af lens. I shot it at iso100 as a test shot for manually setting flash power. I have to finish some ektar 100 in my F3, so I wanted to get the exposure correct. I used the Df with my SB-800 and an off camera cord connected to an umbrella flash adapter. I hand held the umbrella but the camera was on a tripod. </p><div>00d2TN-553679784.JPG.a78e0e2a588b9e74aa9febd1a33bf9ef.JPG</div>

<p>I haven't processed any holiday shots, but did make a trip recently to one of my favorite discoveries of 2014, the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. My nearly five year olds love it more than I can convey in writing. I love it because it is filled with amazing behemoths of iron and steel to shoot. If you are within an hour or so of Baltimore and have kids, the family membership is worth every penny.</p><div>00d2TV-553679984.jpg.80f2dbbe7fc85d43707fc7da7fa98c6d.jpg</div>