Nikon Wednesday 2013: #24

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and<em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are still allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello Nikonistas - a good Wednesday to everyone. We've just soaked up a tropical-feeling several inches of rain. That, and the sticky warm air, seem to have made the Calla Lillies wake up. Shooting them in the rain and clouds seemed the right thing to do. Watcha got? Share!</p><div>00bjRo-540739184.jpg.83182f48869ad2b9d92471b7e56dd073.jpg</div>

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>A building in the Namibian diamond mining ghost town of Kolmanskuppe. I took a photo tour with Marsel Van Oosten there last week. This was one of the amazing places we visited. We spent two days there, wandering the ruins and photographing the sand-filled homes in the light of dawn and dusk.</p><div>00bjRq-540739284.jpg.6222ba374809b154b621afb1b990d734.jpg</div>

<p>I've learned a lot about post-processing in the last several years, and gotten some new, better tools too (PV2012 in Lightroom 4, especially). So here's one I rejected back in 2008 that I've just reprocessed using modern techniques.</p>

<p>Shot under low clouds and heavy fog on July 4, 2008 on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. The fireworks show was delayed, waiting for the fog to clear... It had lifted just far enough by this point to get the show started.</p>

<p><a title="Foggy Nantucket Fireworks by Mark Sirota, on Flickr" href=" Foggy Nantucket Fireworks src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7360/8982931141_594f8d6877_z.jpg" alt="Foggy Nantucket Fireworks" width="640" height="427" /></a><br /> Nikon D200, 18-200 @ 60mm, ISO 800, ƒ/8, 3.0 seconds. Not the way I'd shoot it today...</p>

<p>Hi everyone and happy Wednesday!</p>

<p>Couple of weeks ago I finally decided to get a full frame digital body, and natural way to go was to get back into the Dark Side with bodies as well - so I bought a new D600!</p>

<p>I was curious to see how the D600 compares against my old Fuji S5, so I did a quick shoot with one of my favorite models, Polkka - a Rhodesian Ridgeback. The results were as expected: D600 triumphs in sharpness and resolution, but the Fuji still had better color. On D600 dynamic range was something I need to keep studying - Fuji S5 and D600 both have great DR, but where with Fuji I can easily overexpose and find detail in highlights, with D600 I really need to pay more attention in protecting the highlights. On the other hand, D600 "shines" in shadow details. To be honest, I still feel more comfortable with Fuji, but I just need to shoot more with D600, flip my brain around with DR and exposure and see how it works with my style. </p>

<p>With small web-sized images one really can't see much difference in sharpness, but it's there if you look closely, the hair detail in the neck for example seems clearer in D600 shot even in these small pics.</p>

<p> </p><div>00bjTV-540741784.jpg.f0b9dd41aac35fb97fb3453f3215ffae.jpg</div>