Nikon Wedding Photographer Kit List

rob_shooter

Hi,

I've been a keen amateur photographer for 20 years. For the past 3 or 4 using

Nikon D70 and D80 kit, prior to that Bronica MF.

There is a chance in the coming months I will be made redundant from my current

job as an IT manager and I'm considering putting some of any redundancy package

into a kit where I could start up a wedding photography business alongside any

new job I get, then as I become more proficient and business picks up over time

I would look to move full time into the wedding photography business.

I know its an extremely competitive market but the area where I live in the UK

does not have very many local photographers so there may be a good opening in

the short to medium term.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, here is a Nikon kit list I'm considering, are

there any thoughts, addiditons anyone would recommend? I would use D300 as

primary with D80 as backup (or would a second D300 or D200 make sense?).

D300 Body

D80 Body

50mm 1.8

17-55mm

70-200mm

85mm 1.4

3 x SB800 FLASH

FLASH BRACKETS

MEM CARDS

BATTERY GRIP

BROLLIES AND REFLECTORS

INSURANCE, TRAINING COURSES, GOOD BOOKS TO LEARN FROM ETC

Many thanks in advance

Personally, I'd rather have a second D200 or D300 as a backup. Far more versatile in the crush of an ongoing event. Too many functional differences between those bodies and the D80 to make it as mentally easy to switch between them. Oh... don't forget a good tripod and head, and the all-important waist-pack and/or other bag rig for what you'll be carrying. I'm a ThinkTank fan, but those are very personal ergonomic decisions.

Also, be sure to budget for the creation, maintenance, and ongoing hosting of a first-class web site.

Another issue with the D80 is a completely different memory card compared to the D300.

You would need two complete sets of cards - one set of CF cards for the D300 and one set of SD cards for the D80.

Additionally - I would recommend at least one more backup lens for your 17-55mm zoom. If that lens got dropped or damaged during the wedding - it would be tough to get alot of shots with just the 50mm and 70-200mm.

If given the opportunity, I would get two of the same bodies. The d300's are great for this purpose and pretty bullet proof (in my 5k shot experience so far).

Lens wise, you look good with that list, and add a 24/1.4 if Nikon ever get their heads around the need for that in the pro market.

On the sb800, plan on two of those and diffusers.

at least 32 gigs of CF.

Mostly, get some business training, attend courses at any of the local tech colleges you can. Network with any groups of pros in your area. Shoot as much as you can that will emulate the environment you wish to shoot in.

Incidentally, I am liking the d300+ 14-24/2.8 and another with the 85 on it. I am using the 70-200, less and less and for those shots from the back you could get the 18-200 as an all rounder/just in case lens. That is my playbook at the moment with the Nikon kit.

I am planning to get the d3 when Nikon gets the wide primes sorted, namely the 24/1.4 (as I like this and the 35/1.4 when using my Canon 5D's).

Best, D.

Cheers Matt,

I forgot to mention that I already have a decent Manfrotto tripod and ball head.

I think your probably right re: D80/D200. I could sell my D80 body on ebay for about 300-400 GBP and get a new D200 body for not much more than 650 GBP

As for web site, there are quite a few off the shelf photographers web sites available for online purchase - if anyone can remommend any it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I was in similar situation months ago. I went with D300 and D200 instead of the D80. Couldn't afford the 70-200mm f2.8 but will definitely get it once I get the $$$. :-) Also the 85mm f1.4 I think is awesome don't have it yet might not really need it since I'll be getting the 70-200mm but depending on your shooting style... I have the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 and 50mm f1.8.

Choose a good memory card. I went with (2) Sandisk 4GB 133x instead of the 2GB, (1) 4GB Lexar 133x and (1) 8GB Sandisk just for backup. Will be getting more...

Lots and lots of batteries for camera and flash...

Went with SB800 and SB600. Perhaps will get another one just in case...

Lots of training materials... DVDS, books, etc. Check your library for books and SAVE $$$.