Nikon Warranty

blumesan

<p>We are all aware of the downside of purchasing a gray market Nikon camera. The same problems arise when a resident of USA purchases a camera in Europe or Japan. But what about our neighbor to the north. Cameras ligitimately imported by Nikon-Canada can be purchased and come with a 2 year warranty (as opposed to the 1 yr. USA warranty). I assume that the camera would have to be returned to Canada or any warranty repairs. Otherwise, what am I missing?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The same problems arise when a resident of USA purchases a camera in Europe or Japan.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. In the US, gray-market Nikon products are, by definition, Nikon products imported into the US by another party other than Nikon USA and sold in the US. If you go to Europe or Japan yourself, buy a Nikon product there and then bring it into the US, that is not gray market because it is not sold in the US. However, you may need to produce a receipt from Europe or Japan to demonstrate that you bought it there, or Nikon USA will not repair it.</p>

<p>Whether Nikon USA repair will honor Nikon warranties from other countries is a separate issue.</p>

<p>Mike, If I purchase something that I don't think can go wrong (like a TC or bellows - for example) I don't worry about getting a USA version. If it's a cheaper lens, I don't worry either. But if it's a $1600 lens, I always buy USA warranty. even if the item is $50 difference (on a many hundred dollar item), I'll buy USA.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your replies. Perhaps I didn't sufficiently emphasize the nub of my question. If I purchase a camera from an authorized Nikon dealer in Canada (and get a receipt and a warranty) the Nikon-Canada warranty is a 2 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year USA warranty. What is the downside of so doing and thus getting an extra year of warranty?</p>

<p>I don't know how North America works but I bought stuff from Japan to NZ and from HKG to NZ. Warranties are not international and Nikon NZ emphasise this. One time I was lucky to get a HKG lens warranted here by chance and I was misinformed, apparently world-wide warranty is not international, it might mean that you could ship it back to the country. </p>

<p>Anyway, when I dealt with Japan, I sent the lens at my expense and they billed me for postal, repair was free. I guess that is what would happen to the 2yr Canada thing. You may need to send it back and pay postal back and forth. </p>

<p>Question for you guys. I am not from the USA. Like Shun said, if you go to another country and buy a Nikon product, you have all the papework. Does Nikon USA repair free or for a fee? For a fee right?</p>

<blockquote>

<p> If I purchase a camera from an authorized Nikon dealer in Canada (and get a receipt and a warranty) the Nikon-Canada warranty is a 2 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year USA warranty. What is the downside of so doing and thus getting an extra year of warranty?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The major downside is that you'll likely be paying extra for the warranty for the 2nd year since camera prices are generally speaking higher in Canada, but of course you may be able to find an exception and get a better deal in Canada.</p>

<p>Additionally, it is very unlikely that a DSLR will fail in its 2nd year due to manufacturing defects. At least in my experience, in 30+ years using Nikon SLRs, none of mine has ever failed in its first 2 years, incluing 5 DSLRs and another 6 SLRs. Problems from any "lemon" DSLR will likely show up within the first few months. If it survives that period, it is highly unlikely that any problem will show up in the next year or two until its get "old." Of course you could potentially drop your camera or something at any time, but those damages are not covered by manufacturer warranties.</p>

<p>I don't know Nikon USA honors Nikon Canada's DSLR warranties, especially the 2nd year that is covered by Nikon Canada but not Nikon USA. But I would say paying extra for the purpose of covering something that will unlikely happen is not a good idea. That is why I always recommend against extended warranties. Stores are extremely eager to sell that to you not because they have your best interest in mind.</p>

<p>I am a Canadian resident and have purchased Nikon products in Canada, USA, and other places. A visit to the Nikon Canada Customer Support website should answer your questions.</p>

<p>1. Nikon Canada offers a 2 year warranty on certain DSLRs when purchased from an authorized Canadian dealer. This overlaps the 1 year International warranty.</p>

<p>2. Nikon Canada offers a 5 year warranty on most DSLR lenses purchased on the same terms.</p>

<p>3. The website specifies DSLRs up to the D7000 and D700 but is silent as to the warranty on the D3S and D3x.</p>

<p>4. If you are a US resident and purchase one of the specified DSLRs, and if you need service within the first year, Nikon USA is obligated to service the item under the 1 year International warranty. If the item needs service beyond the 1 year period, then you must pay for service in the USA or return it to Nikon Canada (if less than 2 years). You will need to show proof that the item was purchased in Canada.</p>

<p>5. Returning an item across the US/Canada border can be a pain. Shipping costs and insurance is at your cost in both directions. The various courier companies have hugely differing charges and policies regarding customs brokerage fees, and you are likely to have a problem avoiding customs duties and sales taxes on the return to the USA. Even if you have documentation that you paid taxes in the first place, it can take a long time to get reimbursed for the double taxation.</p>

<p>6. In summary, you really have to get a bargain before you want to contemplate this, and bargain Canadian prices are very rare.</p>

<p>7. I consider a DSLR to be far more complex than a lens and purchase the bodies in Canada, but I take a close look at lens prices and sometimes buy from B&H if the differential is great enough. Only in one case did I regret taking the gamble with a US lens purchase.</p>