Nikon Warranty Cards

bikealps

<p>this is probably a really silly question...<br>

I just got a new lens (70-200 f2.8 VR2 yeah!) and it comes with a 1-year warranty card plus another form that extends the warranty to 5 years if you turn it in within 10 days of purchase.<br>

In the old days, we just kept the warranty cards in the boxes and never turned them in. I don't remember why we did this... was there a reason? I think the idea was we filled in the warranty card if it ever broke.<br>

2 years ago I bought a 12-24 f4 used and it came with a warranty card that was not filled out. Do people save the cards thinking they increase resale value? I really never expect to sell this lens.<br>

My old lenses have been absolutely reliable. I am using every single one of them and they have never been in for service, including my 105 micro which got hit by a sleeper wave while it was upside down on the tripod. Got the photograph and it is one of my favorites to this day. Flash had to get fixed, but lens was ok.<br>

So, I'm assuming this new lens will give many years of dependable service... and I should turn in the warranty card right away.</p>

<p>Nikon's warranty does not transfer to a second owner - so keeping the card to increase resale value isn't "in the cards".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...and I should turn in the warranty card right away.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>By all means if you want to extend your warranty to 5 years. You can also do this online.</p>

<p>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Dieter's response is completely accurate. My understanding is that, in the USA, you don't have to return the warranty card, or register online to get the extension. As long as you have the card and original receipt in your possession, that should be sufficient to have the extended warranty honored.</p>

<p>True?</p>

<p>To obtain the extended part of the warranty, i.e. from year 2 to 5, you are supposed to fill out the part that has the 5-year logo on it and send the carbon copy to Nikon within 10 days; that is the procedure spelled out on the extended warranty card. However, we have read stories here that some people never send that in but still get extended coverage anyway. You might want to put that in an envelop and send it (instead of sending it as a postcard) so that your personal info is not exposed.</p>

<p>In a lot of states, the one-year warranty is required by law. Nikon cannot compell you to send anything in to get the basic one-year warranty. You always need the original receipt/proof of purcahse to get warranty coverage.</p>

<p>If you wish to employ the extended warranty provisions of your credit card(more useful for bodies than lenses in light of Nikon's 5-year deal on lenses), the credit card company may insist that you provide them with the nominally worthless Nikon warranty card or...no extended warranty.</p>

<p>Don't think much is left unanswered after reading this on the 5-year extension: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16192<br /> and this on whether or not a USA warranty is valid in other countries or the international warranty valid in the US: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9677/related/1<br>

@Hosteen Yendikeno: Nikon will likely honor the warranty if you supply the card and the sales receipt within the 5-year period. However, it's not the procedure they spell out on the card or their website.</p>

<p>On a related note: I had a Seagate hard drive fail in a computer that wasn't purchased in the US (but in Europe) and not even by me - and all Seagate wanted was the serial number. After they confirmed that it was still under warranty (while we were still on the phone), they told me I would get a replacement, which arrived two days later. No other questions asked - that's what I call customer service.</p>