Nikon vs. Sigma vs. Tamron, 18-200 Lenses

louise wilkins

Nikon *officially* advises against using any lens with an aperture smaller than f/5.6 in order for AF to work properly, but these f/6.3 lenses have been around a long time so it's obviously not a train-stopping obstacle.

Tamron is slowly incorporating in-lens AF motors to accommodate the newer Nikons, though I'm not sure of the status of 18-200/250 lenses.

If you're already set to buy the Nikon, I'd say stick with that and enjoy guaranteed compatibility + VR.

Just to clarify: the NIkon 18-200mm. does include VR. For what it does it is a very good lens.

Sigma's design may be great and the price is certainly right--and from what I read it does include HSM, so it's compatible with the D40 and D60 bodies. But Sigma does have some continuing QC issues. If you get a Sigma zoom be sure that you order from somewhere that has a convenient exchange policy in case you have problems.

I'm terribly sorry, Louise. I was wrong about the <a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?

id=3329&navigator=6">Sigma 18-200mm</a> not being HSM. I hadn't realized Sigma had come out with this newer

version. It will auto focus on your D60, but even so, as Shun has explained, the f6.3 aperture of the Sigma lens will

compromise auto focus function. You would be far better off with the Nikon product in any case, in my opinion.

Louise,

I'd stick with the Nikon 18-200VR just for the sake of it. Personally I've not had any problems with focus on any lens that a Third Market and a f/6.3 on the long end. I have had two - - not ever used them inside, but outside in OK light and my D200 & D300 have always focused just fine.

As for the 18-200VR. It is best in between f/8 - f/13 I find it a great all around lens which is very convenient. Once you get to the point that you know better what you want & start buying higher quality lenses - - that's a different story.

I tend to direct people to this folder of mine to show the versatility of the 18-200VR

http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/f200314254/ - - all shots except for some of the shots in the Venice Beach gallery are shot with the 18-200VR. I believe I shot all of them at a f/8

Good luck with your decision & know that it's a convenience lens & that there are probably sharper lenses you can find - - but not as convenient & not with that reach.

Depending upon what you wish to shoot - - people might suggest other lenses for you.

Good luck

Lil :-)

In this particular type of lens I'd definitely go for the Nikkor. The VR really helps with shaky mitts like mine (I had a 24-120 VR and am seriously considering the 18-200 now). And the photos I've seen look really good for a lens of this type, far better than a superzoom should be.

As for Sigma QC, while I've seen some reports of softness affecting one side/corner or another, probably due to de-centering, they also have a reputation for making good on customer satisfaction. So I wouldn't hesitate to consider Sigma if they happened to have a lens I was interested in. But this particular zoom ain't one that interests me. Now, their 150/2.8 macro? Yup. That's an interesting one.

I thank you all for your responses. You have definitely given me something to think about when looking at other lenses, but

I feel the consensus is to go with the Nikkor. Though I had looked at the Signa & Tamaron, I didn't catch the difference

relating to the VR. Definitely want to stick with that. So, Nikkor it is!

Now, suggestions on a good place to buy other than my local over-priced camera shop?

B&H is the gold standard for camera equipment mail ordering. When I lived in the New York area, I used to visit their store once a month. I have been ordering from them for over a decade. Frequently my order consists of a lot of little Nikon items, and they have yet to make one mistake.

I live in Australia and haved had A1 service from both B &H and Adorama. B &H may be a little pricey sometimes, however, we keep good quality glass for a long time.

I have been very happy with older Sigma APO 70 - 200 HSM ( yes a few years ago now); has USM motors when the Nikkor D 8- -200 /2.8 hunted noisly all the time trying to focus. Imgage quality fine. But we are talking about different lens. However, I have been very, very selective with purchasing Sigma lens and have only purchased their top of the line APO HSM longer range tele zooms. None disappointed.

However, for primes and short length lens, had no hesitation in purchasing Nikon 28-70/2.8 AFS, still taking superb photos.