Nikon USA Repair, During Covid-19

ShunCheung

Well, I have the misfortune that I need to use Nikon USA repair again. Yesterday I had my 500mm PF lens on a strap over my shoulder, and the DSLR body was attached to the lens. I had been shooting for over an hour and it all seemed normal. All of a sudden the body came off the lens and fell onto the ground. I have no clue how it got dismounted.

The damage actually seems minor. I quickly took some test shots and it seemed fine. However, I pressed onto the image review button (top left side from the back, with a triangle on the button) and it got stuck. Apparently that corner took the blunt of the impact. The problem is that review button is held down forever so that no other control button on the back can function any more. Otherwise, the camera can still AF and take pictures just fine.

I spent some time but couldn't pop that button back up. I checked Nikon USA's web site. Their repair center in Los Angeles is still closed due to Covid-19, as the situation in southern California is still serious. Therefore, I need to ship the camera across the country to Nikon in Long Island, New York. I am sure there will be parts hold, etc. It is going to take at least a few weeks.

The image below shows the review button, but this is not the damaged camera.

_D5A0206.jpg.b60ac5e5ad5d98cda7a51661fcd75c95.jpg

Initially, Nikon USA closed both repair centers back in late March, due to Covid-19. During April and May, of course there were a lot of cases in New York. I believe both repair centered re-opened for a little while, but now there are a lot of cases in Southern California so that the LA repair center is closed again. A friend of mine here in the San Francisco area did get his 500mm PF back from Nikon LA a couple of weeks ago when the reopened briefly.

Now every repair has to go to Melville. I am expecting plenty of delays.

A small 5mm round 'dot' of that super sticky double sided tape should be able to pull it out, but as you say I guess that corner is distorted so the cylindrical button/switch can't slide in an elliptical hole.

The 'separation' issue is worrying though:(.

AKAIK there are no suspension loops on that lens, so guess you had to be attached to the len's tripod foot only?

I suppose the lens release button is pretty exposed to accidentally pressing with it's proximity to the AF/M focus selector or maybe the taper from lens to body means if a length of free strap or a pinky finger can slip/push the button.?

I initially thought this was going to be a foot issue in the same way the one on the 70-200mm was.... that would be just great to still have the foot attached to your strap and the whole camera lens combo on the floor...Ouch...:eek:

Hope it all works out, both quickly and inexpensively...:)

A small 5mm round 'dot' of that super sticky double sided tape should be able to pull it out, but as you say I guess that corner is distorted so the cylindrical button/switch can't slide in an elliptical hole.

I am sure the impact has pushed that corner in by a tiny bit, which is not visible. I have tried to use a tiny screwdriver to undo the impact but couldn't pop the button out. I may be able to live with a non-functioning image review button, but the fact that all other buttons on the back side are not functioning because the review button is constantly pressed down means repair is a must to be.

Initially, Nikon USA closed both repair centers back in late March, due to Covid-19. During April and May, of course there were a lot of cases in New York. I believe both repair centered re-opened for a little while, but now there are a lot of cases in Southern California so that the LA repair center is closed again. A friend of mine here in the San Francisco area did get his 500mm PF back from Nikon LA a couple of weeks ago when the reopened briefly.

Now every repair has to go to Melville. I am expecting plenty of delays.

So I was lucky that they got my lens out of repair in the short window that LA was open.