Nikon USA, Black-Friday Deals (Previously: Lens-Only Rebate)

ShunCheung

Received e-mail from both Nikon USA and B&H about a new round of lens-only rebates. We are in November already, and it looks like the holiday rebates have started.

Lenses included:

• 24-70mm/f2.8 E AF-S VR, $200 off
  • 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S VR, $200 off
  • 16-35mm/f4 AF-S VR, $100 off
  • 24mm/f1.4 AF-S VR, $200 off

and others.

With the Black Friday approaching in the US (the day after Thanksgiving, which is always on a Thursday; this year Black Friday is November 24), I am sure all sort of deals will appear later on this month.

IMO the best way to get the 16-80mm E DX is still as a kit with the D500 or maybe another DX body, something with deep discounts. Personally I have a lot of bad experience with refurbished Nikon USA lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Friday deals are out. As far as I can tell, the above lens rebates continue, and there is now $200 for the latest 70-200mm/f2.8 E FL AF-S VR. Additionally, various free grip deals are available, such as the D500 (same as last year), D810, etc.

Nikon will probably rotate these deals after a couple of weeks. At least that was what they did a year ago.

So like I thought the deal a number of months ago with the D810 and grip for $2500 will never come back.

Since the D850 is now out, although supply is still limited, there is only one direction the price for the D810 will go, and that is down. Whether any particular deal is offered again depends on how many new D810 and MB-D12 grip Nikon still has in the warehouses. For example, if they have an excessive number of D810 bodies in stock, I wouldn't be surprised that Nikon sells new ones as "refurbished" to hide the deep discount. I have no specific evidence for this practice from Nikon, but in general, various companies have ways to unload excessive stock while not making the deep discount apparent.