Nikon Updated Firmware for Z9 and Z6ii/Z7ii and a weird grip...!

mike_halliwell

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/news-press/press.tag/news/bv-pr-wwa2204-nikon-releases-new-z-series-firmware-and-high-capacity-memory-card.dcr

Main interest is pre-release image capture on the Z9, custom Wide-Area AF, recording RAW vid in body and 120fps EVF.

The Z6ii/Z7ii get an AF tweak to stop the backgroud being selected in AutoArrea AF. And support for the Bluetooth remote the ML-L7.

Pre-release capture should be interesting to those e.g. waiting for a bird to take off, and missing the moment slightly, still getting a full sequence of shots of the event.

Customized wide area AF combined with subject detection should also be very useful in certain situations.

• Like 1

Shame it's JPEG only at the moment.

I think that's a life saver as getting 30 fps in 45 MP RAW files always recorded for a minimum of a set pre-capture period would lead to a storage disaster very quickly. Basically if you set the pre-release period to 1 s, you get a minimum of 30 frames every time you press the shutter release button, and if you hold it down, you get more.

Ah, OK. The only time i've used this type of feature it worked like this...

You half pressed the shutter button, abit like activating AF, and frames would start filling the buffer. On a first in, first out basis the buffer would continually refill. On full press, the buffer would send the contents to the card and keep recording untill you let go. Same here?

I'm not sure of the buffer capacity in frames before it starts dumping the earliest ones?

On a related note, is there a bulk delete function anywhere? So you could highlight from 'here' to 'here' and say bye bye. It would be usable when you display a 100 thumbs at a time on the back screen.

Ah, OK. The only time i've used this type of feature it worked like this...

You half pressed the shutter button, abit like activating AF, and frames would start filling the buffer. On a first in, first out basis the buffer would continually refill. On full press, the buffer would send the contents to the card and keep recording untill you let go. Same here?

I would think so, yes.

I'm not sure of the buffer capacity in frames before it starts dumping the earliest ones?

I believe this is user-adjustable with maximum 1 second (which would be 30 frames I believe).

On a related note, is there a bulk delete function anywhere?

I think personally that deleting images based on what is displayed on the camera's screen is quite risky. I've accidentally lost the best image of a situation by deleting it on camera (when I was trying to clear space). So I try to delete mostly on the computer as there is a useful recycle bin available there, and make sure I have enough storage in camera.

The Grip will be used primarily for video, attached to a rig or tripod handle. The grip has an Arri rosette, as do most rigs, which gives you an easy way to adjust its angle. The Grip has dials for shutter speed and aperture, perhaps some programmable buttons, but not zoom or manual focus. For that you would need a second grip, such as by Tilta, and gear motors.

Why is it necessary? When shooting video you disturb the shot if you touch the lens or body. Remote controls, including motors, make those adjustments without jiggling things around.

There seems to be a rather large set of controls on the grip, including joystick and likely menu access. But Nikon has not yet made a power zoom for the Z system. I suspect that could be the next step. However, specialized video lenses tend to be expensive and in many cases quite heavy as well. I am not sure if Nikon intends to go in this direction. The fact that the grip does not appear to have electronic zoom control suggests that they might not have plans for power zooms in the near future. Edited by ilkka_nissila

I just relized that the Z9 FW allows different focus positions to be memorized and recalled using different buttons. This might also work with the new grip, allowing the user to switch between focus positions in video work in situations where subjects are likely to be in known positions.