Nikon UK senior management refuse to answer

western_isles

<p>For some time now I have been experiencing difficulty with Nikon Capture NX 2 software. Briefly, the software is actually very good but chronically unstable.<br>

I have been forced to change my editing technique as it either runs out of memory or simply crashes. I have been in touch with the guys at support who have been very helpful, courteous and professional at all times. However, even they had to admit defeat.<br>

I have contacted Nikon UK senior management by letter, yes folks snail mail! Also by email. It was not read!<br>

I then got back to customer services and sent copies of the letter and the email which they have forwarded to Nikon UK senior management and I am happy that this has actually happened as I feel that I can trust the guys at Customer/Technical Services.<br>

To date, despite four attempts to elicit a response I have heard nothing from Nikon UK senior management. This is not a good sign for Nikon users an should serve as a warning to anyone contemplating buying into Nikon equipment.<br>

My only recourse now appears to send a letter to the President of Nikon Corporation in Japan and I have informed Nikon UK of my intention to do this and make this post. I am sure he will at least have the courtesy to acknowledge my letter unlike Nikon UK.<br>

Given the recent terrible events in Japan I do not think my complaint will be very high on their agenda and I completely understand why this should be so. However, Nikon Corporation needs to tell it's UK senior management to get it's act together and at least acknowledge communications in the same professional way that other companies do.<br>

I would ask that forum members NOT send me any suggestions to cure the problems as I have been through everything. However, news of similar experiences with Nikon would benefit other forum members especially those contemplating buying Nikon equipment as opposed to otI will post the reply from Nikon Corporation as soon as I have one.her brands.<br>

I will post any replies from Nikon for forum members to see.</p>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I had lots of stability problems with Capture on Windows XP systems, but once I switched to Windows 7 (64-bit; OK I also got an SSD to speed things up), it's been working in an excellent fashion. Fast, responsive, etc. I think Nikon simply test the software only on the latest OS and very limited hardware setups instead of trying to making sure it works on a broad variety of systems. If you are not a Mac user, I would highly recommend Windows 7 (and enough memory; I have 4GB) if for no other reason, for runnign Capture smoothly. The OS is much better than previous versions of Windows in other respects also; after catastrophic experiences with Vista (I had it on a laptop; it would run slowly, interfere constantly with normal use, crash frequently and eventually not boot), I have been very impressed with 7.</p>

<p>What exactly are you expecting Nikon senior management to do? If you have had helpful and professional help with support and they can't help you, it's time to move on and not let these things eat you up. Trying to get in touch with Nikon Japan over software instability is crazy</p>

<p>Frank,<br>

Working in support and service, I can pretty much garantue you there are plenty people trying to get answers to their own problem by writing the most senior management they can find. It's not a feasible tactic. It's extremely rare for a corporate VP or something to get worked up about the issue of <strong>one </strong>client. So, typically, you are better off barking a bit less high up the tree. I'm not trying to say you are wrong in what you wish to achieve, but I think the way you try to get there is not one that will yield much.</p>

<p>Whether their support treated you well, I cannot say. Nikon UK helped me once excellent with an issue regarding ViewNX. Absolutely no complaints from me. Then again, my Capture NX2 runs fine on Vista..... ;-)</p>

<p>The problem is more likely an issue with your computer and less likely to be their software. I don't think it is Nikon's responsibility to fix your computer. If this software is essential to you, get a new computer or reformat your computer's hard drive to its original state and reinstall the software. Either way, you are likely correct the program.</p>

<p><em>The problem is more likely an issue with your computer and less likely to be their software. I don't think it is Nikon's responsibility to fix your computer.</em></p>

<p>Nikon Capture NX2 is unstable on many, many systems which work perfectly with other software. It's a question of woefully inadequate testing on Nikon's part. Not the hardware. When Nikon develop firmware for their cameras they know exactly the hardware and it's always going to be as expected. But for software that runs on general purpose computers, they have to be aware of everything else (hardware and software) that typical users might have installed on their system and test it thoroughly on different configurations if they don't understand the operating system well enough to write portable code to begin with.</p>

<p>Nikon software is pretty much the only software I've used since late 1990s which regularly crashes and gives problems. I've used it on many different computers and always the same thing. On Windows 7 it works much more stably but still occasionally crashes. I think in 15 years I've had one instance of Adobe software crashing. But they know how to write software for Windows. Nikon doesn't, and doesn't care to find out how to do it so that it runs stably accross the board. What Nikon does well is the algorithm part in the raw conversion software, which in my opinion is second to none, and significantly better than Adobe's. Most people try Nikon software find that it crashes frequently and is very slow and move on to other manufacturers. I find the algorithm advantage to be significant enough for my own needs that I keep using it, and finally in my current hardware and software configuration, it works pretty well. I know many who don't share my patience and simply dismiss Nikon's software as unusable.</p>

<p>I'd like to put in a good word for Nikon (well nik anyway)<br>

I've used Capture NX, then NX2 for many years on almost all Windows systems (currently Win7 64 bit) and have NEVER had any problems.<br>

My impression is, as mentioned above, any problems are far more likely caused by the PC setup, not running latest drivers, latest versions, etc.<br>

The only thing I'd fault them on is not producing a proper 64 bit version.</p>

<p>The only time I've had Capture NX2 misbehave is on machines with inadequate RAM and/or swap files on disk drives that were crowded, fragmented, or otherwise in need of some housekeeping. <br /><br />Trying to get senior management involved is absolutely pointless. They cannot change the configuration of your computer, they (in the UK) have nothing whatsoever to do with the software development schedule or priorities. They are a sales and distribution organization. The people in the NIK software unit are where the action is. <br /><br />But mostly: I've used NX2 on probably two dozen machines with operating systems ranging from flavors of XP, Vista, Win7, and Server 2003/2008. Any and every problem I've had was always related to RAM and storage configuration on the machine in question, or caches that needed to be cleaned out. Well, except for some printing bugs with they fixed in a service pack release.</p>

<p>Frank,</p>

<p>I'm not sure what your post is supposed to achieve. Your irritation from not receiving an immediate response from senior management is a bit conceited of you. I'm sure there are much more pressing issues on their plate than one person's software issue that they likely have no solution for.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have been in touch with the guys at support who have been very helpful, courteous and professional at all times. However, even they had to admit defeat.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As has been pointed out already, if they don't have a solution, perhaps you should contact NIK Software, the developers of Capture NX2. Perhaps you just need an update? Or perhaps there is something wrong on your end, as has already been mentioned.</p>

<p>Personally, I've had nothing but positive experiences with both Nikon USA and Nik Software, but I also don't go trying to bother Senior Management about my miniscule issues...besides, even if I did, I wouldn't expect a response until the issue was resolved.</p>

<p>Just my two cents...<br>

RS</p>

<p>I've read so many bad reviews of Nikon software and since I already had an existing workflow I've never even tried it. Buy Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble, or some other workflow program and forget about the Nikon software. None of the camera makers produce very good software. How many pros out there do you think use the camera brand software? Most are using one of the big workflow programs and Photoshop. Should Nikon fix it? Sure but don't hold your breath.</p>

<p>I use NX2 on Windows XP with no problems, but a Windows PC is so complex that most software can crash. For a month I was unable to play DVDs or watch Freeview TV due to a bad Microsoft driver update. I don't doubt what others here say that Nikon have not properly tested the software on enough platforms.<br>

My issue with NX2 is the really awful interface: a window that will not maximise, a window that interferes with other applications, toolbars that I cannot resize or move because I can never figure out how to do it, and so on. Lovely processing, bad UI design.</p>

<p>I use NX2 on a Windows 7 64 bit system (laptop) with an i7 processor, 10gb of ram, 1 gb of video ram and two external montiors. I often have PS3, Photmatrix. and Nikon View NX2 open and being used at the same time. I have had no problems at all. Its apparent that NX2 is at its best when you throw more power and ram at it. Not to mention, the dramtic improvement from Windows 7. However, there is always room for improvement. If not nobody would ever buy the upgrades! I recently downloaded the trial version of PS5 in 64 bit. I would have never thought Photoshop could be so quick! I was perfectly happy with PS3 until I tried PS5. I would suggest upgrading your system (if you haven't already) before wasting any more time trying to contact Nikon.</p>

<p>You say:<br>

<em>" it either runs out of memory or simply crashes"</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Nikon NX2 does not seem to have memory leak bug, at least from my experience. The behavior on your computer could be resultant of another software running that does have memory leaks, and/or operating system that was already compromised and is unable to collect garbage after applications that do have a bug.</p>

<p>Upper management is there not to unswers questions, since you already got fair share of attention from other Nikon personnel.</p>

<p>Stop bothering Nikon, and look at your real problem that you have, and it is on your computer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My two cents: Love NX2 overall. It has a glitch. For me, it is the ONLY program that becomes unstable and crashes on my Mac Pro (6MB RAM, I think). The crash comes from one thing for me (forgive me if I don't use all the right vocabulary here): If I create a new step when editing, let's say a curves adjustment, and then attempt to "paint" the change onto selected areas using a brush, the system often crashes. I've learned to just save constantly when doing this, but it is annoying. I think it only happens when working on RAW files, but now I can't recall if I experience this with .tifs, too. Anyone else experience the same issue? For those whose program crashes, can you share if there is some particular action that causes it to crash?</p>

<p>This is why I don't use Nikon imaging software. Very unstable (compared to other similar software). I used to use ViewNX but some time ago that stopped working too.</p>

<p>I can't believe they actually charge extra for Capture NX when it should come free with your camera purchase.</p>

<p>Frank: Each post here has added some valuable info, I hope. Let me add a story: I had a good friend with an automobile that wouldn't 'run right' ... he spent many, many, much money looking for solutions ... turns out the petrol was coming from a farm tank with water in it. Might I suggest, if you are not there already, that you take your computer to a 'geek' and have it completely checked out and cleaned up ... it is very difficult to find a solution in a long string of possible causes when the 'base' is not verified as 'clear' ... in a long, very long, list of possible causes, start at the BASE first, and work upward from there. PS, if we can get 'bad' copies of lenses (and sensors), can we also have 'bad' copies of software?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>PS, if we can get 'bad' copies of lenses (and sensors), can we also have 'bad' copies of software?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All software copies are as "bad" as the original released-to-manufacturing built. They can get better or worse by means of service releases, upgrades, patches and/or hotfixes that get applied later.</p>

<p>Frank:<br>

My years in Japan taught me that manners are incredibly important to the Japanese. I cannot believe that Nikon UK upper management have simply ignored this problem. I tend to think that more than one exec will be given a fresh reaming for the impertinence shown. Apparently in the UK, Nikon execs simply have no manners at all, or they have forgotten how pricy their products are, or perhaps they feel you are not worthy of their attention -- since you did not recently purchase an electron microscope from Nikon. Then again, when I read a letter like yours, I immediately put Nikon off the list and go to one of the many other vendors of electron microscopes.<br>

Best of luck with this,<br>

Doc</p>

<p>I think it is well known that Nikon makes excellent hardware (cameras) but their reputation in the software area is badly sullied. Ask any owner of a Nikon Coolscan film scanner who has tried to get the scanner software to work on Win7/64 bit system (or any modern O/S). Nikon has flatly refused to write a very simple patch to the driver which can solve this problem. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>All software copies are as "bad" as the original released-to-manufacturing built.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not true. It's a myth that the software industry has fostered to hide it's lazy inept development process.</p>

<p>I've had two major software releases, on totally unrelated products, that had absolutely no bug reports or stability issues reported... none, ever.<br>

One was the guidance and control system for the Pegasus rocket. <br>

The other was a major custom software product for IBM.<br>

Both worked first time every time, right out of the "box".</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Windoze is a notoriously unstable operating environment. It's a multi-tasking applique on top of a single-user kernel that has virtually no internal protection. Contrast this with a real multi-user kernel like the various Unix derivatives.</p>

<p>Win 7 appears to be a bit more stable, but that remains to be seen. It's taken long enough.</p>

<p>Companies whose income depends solely on software sales, like Oracle or Adobe, can afford the cost of resources, personnel, and training required to build in all the work-arounds needed to prop up the crippled OS. <br>

Companies that make s/w available, frequently gratis, to support the sale of their products certainly cannot.</p>

<p>Nikon is an optical company that sells cameras among many other product lines.<br>

They're not a software company.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If a company sells a product that heavenly depends on software in order to work with it, it should provide adequate, high quality, stable software. Nikon does not only make cameras, they also sell (or sold) film scanners, for example. Its a pity such a company does not provide high quality software and updates for new Operating Systems. If they don't have the resources for writing the software, at least they should provide the communication protocols and / or drivers under a Free and Open Source Software License. So, software developers can write drivers and software, maintaining and extending with the features users request, like properly working under well written Unix / Linux OS-es. I am convinced that, on the long term, this also will be good advertisement to Nikon, as their gear will not become obsolete after every few years when a new OS shows up.</p>