Nikon UK senior management refuse to answer

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by western_isles, May 9, 2011.

1. For some time now I have been experiencing difficulty with Nikon Capture NX 2 software. Briefly, the software is actually very good but chronically unstable.
    I have been forced to change my editing technique as it either runs out of memory or simply crashes. I have been in touch with the guys at support who have been very helpful, courteous and professional at all times. However, even they had to admit defeat.
    I have contacted Nikon UK senior management by letter, yes folks snail mail! Also by email. It was not read!
    I then got back to customer services and sent copies of the letter and the email which they have forwarded to Nikon UK senior management and I am happy that this has actually happened as I feel that I can trust the guys at Customer/Technical Services.
    To date, despite four attempts to elicit a response I have heard nothing from Nikon UK senior management. This is not a good sign for Nikon users an should serve as a warning to anyone contemplating buying into Nikon equipment.
    My only recourse now appears to send a letter to the President of Nikon Corporation in Japan and I have informed Nikon UK of my intention to do this and make this post. I am sure he will at least have the courtesy to acknowledge my letter unlike Nikon UK.
    Given the recent terrible events in Japan I do not think my complaint will be very high on their agenda and I completely understand why this should be so. However, Nikon Corporation needs to tell it's UK senior management to get it's act together and at least acknowledge communications in the same professional way that other companies do.
    I would ask that forum members NOT send me any suggestions to cure the problems as I have been through everything. However, news of similar experiences with Nikon would benefit other forum members especially those contemplating buying Nikon equipment as opposed to otI will post the reply from Nikon Corporation as soon as I have one.her brands.
    I will post any replies from Nikon for forum members to see.

2. I had lots of stability problems with Capture on Windows XP systems, but once I switched to Windows 7 (64-bit; OK I also got an SSD to speed things up), it's been working in an excellent fashion. Fast, responsive, etc. I think Nikon simply test the software only on the latest OS and very limited hardware setups instead of trying to making sure it works on a broad variety of systems. If you are not a Mac user, I would highly recommend Windows 7 (and enough memory; I have 4GB) if for no other reason, for runnign Capture smoothly. The OS is much better than previous versions of Windows in other respects also; after catastrophic experiences with Vista (I had it on a laptop; it would run slowly, interfere constantly with normal use, crash frequently and eventually not boot), I have been very impressed with 7.

3. What exactly are you expecting Nikon senior management to do? If you have had helpful and professional help with support and they can't help you, it's time to move on and not let these things eat you up. Trying to get in touch with Nikon Japan over software instability is crazy

4. Frank,
    Working in support and service, I can pretty much garantue you there are plenty people trying to get answers to their own problem by writing the most senior management they can find. It's not a feasible tactic. It's extremely rare for a corporate VP or something to get worked up about the issue of one client. So, typically, you are better off barking a bit less high up the tree. I'm not trying to say you are wrong in what you wish to achieve, but I think the way you try to get there is not one that will yield much.
    Whether their support treated you well, I cannot say. Nikon UK helped me once excellent with an issue regarding ViewNX. Absolutely no complaints from me. Then again, my Capture NX2 runs fine on Vista..... ;-)

5. The problem is more likely an issue with your computer and less likely to be their software. I don't think it is Nikon's responsibility to fix your computer. If this software is essential to you, get a new computer or reformat your computer's hard drive to its original state and reinstall the software. Either way, you are likely correct the program.

6. The problem is more likely an issue with your computer and less likely to be their software. I don't think it is Nikon's responsibility to fix your computer.
    Nikon Capture NX2 is unstable on many, many systems which work perfectly with other software. It's a question of woefully inadequate testing on Nikon's part. Not the hardware. When Nikon develop firmware for their cameras they know exactly the hardware and it's always going to be as expected. But for software that runs on general purpose computers, they have to be aware of everything else (hardware and software) that typical users might have installed on their system and test it thoroughly on different configurations if they don't understand the operating system well enough to write portable code to begin with.
    Nikon software is pretty much the only software I've used since late 1990s which regularly crashes and gives problems. I've used it on many different computers and always the same thing. On Windows 7 it works much more stably but still occasionally crashes. I think in 15 years I've had one instance of Adobe software crashing. But they know how to write software for Windows. Nikon doesn't, and doesn't care to find out how to do it so that it runs stably accross the board. What Nikon does well is the algorithm part in the raw conversion software, which in my opinion is second to none, and significantly better than Adobe's. Most people try Nikon software find that it crashes frequently and is very slow and move on to other manufacturers. I find the algorithm advantage to be significant enough for my own needs that I keep using it, and finally in my current hardware and software configuration, it works pretty well. I know many who don't share my patience and simply dismiss Nikon's software as unusable.

7. Frank,
    I've been using NX2 on my Vista (Home Premium) and it works fine. Perhaps try this as it is excellent software and works well. Having sufficient RAM is a must as well. I hope this helps.
    -Robert

8. I have been using NX2 for a couple of years on a 32 bit Windows XP workstation without problems. It has enough memory with a decent Intel processor. Sorry you are having problems with it. Do you have a different computer to try it on?

9. I'd like to put in a good word for Nikon (well nik anyway)
    I've used Capture NX, then NX2 for many years on almost all Windows systems (currently Win7 64 bit) and have NEVER had any problems.
    My impression is, as mentioned above, any problems are far more likely caused by the PC setup, not running latest drivers, latest versions, etc.
    The only thing I'd fault them on is not producing a proper 64 bit version.

10. The only time I've had Capture NX2 misbehave is on machines with inadequate RAM and/or swap files on disk drives that were crowded, fragmented, or otherwise in need of some housekeeping.

Trying to get senior management involved is absolutely pointless. They cannot change the configuration of your computer, they (in the UK) have nothing whatsoever to do with the software development schedule or priorities. They are a sales and distribution organization. The people in the NIK software unit are where the action is.

But mostly: I've used NX2 on probably two dozen machines with operating systems ranging from flavors of XP, Vista, Win7, and Server 2003/2008. Any and every problem I've had was always related to RAM and storage configuration on the machine in question, or caches that needed to be cleaned out. Well, except for some printing bugs with they fixed in a service pack release.

11. Frank,
    I'm not sure what your post is supposed to achieve. Your irritation from not receiving an immediate response from senior management is a bit conceited of you. I'm sure there are much more pressing issues on their plate than one person's software issue that they likely have no solution for.
    I have been in touch with the guys at support who have been very helpful, courteous and professional at all times. However, even they had to admit defeat.​
    As has been pointed out already, if they don't have a solution, perhaps you should contact NIK Software, the developers of Capture NX2. Perhaps you just need an update? Or perhaps there is something wrong on your end, as has already been mentioned.
    Personally, I've had nothing but positive experiences with both Nikon USA and Nik Software, but I also don't go trying to bother Senior Management about my miniscule issues...besides, even if I did, I wouldn't expect a response until the issue was resolved.
    Just my two cents...
    RS

12. I've read so many bad reviews of Nikon software and since I already had an existing workflow I've never even tried it. Buy Lightroom, Aperture, Bibble, or some other workflow program and forget about the Nikon software. None of the camera makers produce very good software. How many pros out there do you think use the camera brand software? Most are using one of the big workflow programs and Photoshop. Should Nikon fix it? Sure but don't hold your breath.

13. I use NX2 on Windows XP with no problems, but a Windows PC is so complex that most software can crash. For a month I was unable to play DVDs or watch Freeview TV due to a bad Microsoft driver update. I don't doubt what others here say that Nikon have not properly tested the software on enough platforms.
    My issue with NX2 is the really awful interface: a window that will not maximise, a window that interferes with other applications, toolbars that I cannot resize or move because I can never figure out how to do it, and so on. Lovely processing, bad UI design.

14. I use NX2 on a Windows 7 64 bit system (laptop) with an i7 processor, 10gb of ram, 1 gb of video ram and two external montiors. I often have PS3, Photmatrix. and Nikon View NX2 open and being used at the same time. I have had no problems at all. Its apparent that NX2 is at its best when you throw more power and ram at it. Not to mention, the dramtic improvement from Windows 7. However, there is always room for improvement. If not nobody would ever buy the upgrades! I recently downloaded the trial version of PS5 in 64 bit. I would have never thought Photoshop could be so quick! I was perfectly happy with PS3 until I tried PS5. I would suggest upgrading your system (if you haven't already) before wasting any more time trying to contact Nikon.

15. You say:
    " it either runs out of memory or simply crashes"

Nikon NX2 does not seem to have memory leak bug, at least from my experience. The behavior on your computer could be resultant of another software running that does have memory leaks, and/or operating system that was already compromised and is unable to collect garbage after applications that do have a bug.
    Upper management is there not to unswers questions, since you already got fair share of attention from other Nikon personnel.
    Stop bothering Nikon, and look at your real problem that you have, and it is on your computer.

16. My two cents: Love NX2 overall. It has a glitch. For me, it is the ONLY program that becomes unstable and crashes on my Mac Pro (6MB RAM, I think). The crash comes from one thing for me (forgive me if I don't use all the right vocabulary here): If I create a new step when editing, let's say a curves adjustment, and then attempt to "paint" the change onto selected areas using a brush, the system often crashes. I've learned to just save constantly when doing this, but it is annoying. I think it only happens when working on RAW files, but now I can't recall if I experience this with .tifs, too. Anyone else experience the same issue? For those whose program crashes, can you share if there is some particular action that causes it to crash?

17. This is why I don't use Nikon imaging software. Very unstable (compared to other similar software). I used to use ViewNX but some time ago that stopped working too.
    I can't believe they actually charge extra for Capture NX when it should come free with your camera purchase.

18. Frank: Each post here has added some valuable info, I hope. Let me add a story: I had a good friend with an automobile that wouldn't 'run right' ... he spent many, many, much money looking for solutions ... turns out the petrol was coming from a farm tank with water in it. Might I suggest, if you are not there already, that you take your computer to a 'geek' and have it completely checked out and cleaned up ... it is very difficult to find a solution in a long string of possible causes when the 'base' is not verified as 'clear' ... in a long, very long, list of possible causes, start at the BASE first, and work upward from there. PS, if we can get 'bad' copies of lenses (and sensors), can we also have 'bad' copies of software?

19. PS, if we can get 'bad' copies of lenses (and sensors), can we also have 'bad' copies of software?​
    All software copies are as "bad" as the original released-to-manufacturing built. They can get better or worse by means of service releases, upgrades, patches and/or hotfixes that get applied later.

20. You can read Thom Hogan's view of Capture NX. Scroll down to the "Conversion" section.
    http://bythom.com/softwareweek.htm
    Basically it may have the best NEF conversion but it has many issues. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean that it works for everyone.

21. Frank:
    My years in Japan taught me that manners are incredibly important to the Japanese. I cannot believe that Nikon UK upper management have simply ignored this problem. I tend to think that more than one exec will be given a fresh reaming for the impertinence shown. Apparently in the UK, Nikon execs simply have no manners at all, or they have forgotten how pricy their products are, or perhaps they feel you are not worthy of their attention -- since you did not recently purchase an electron microscope from Nikon. Then again, when I read a letter like yours, I immediately put Nikon off the list and go to one of the many other vendors of electron microscopes.
    Best of luck with this,
    Doc

22. I think it is well known that Nikon makes excellent hardware (cameras) but their reputation in the software area is badly sullied. Ask any owner of a Nikon Coolscan film scanner who has tried to get the scanner software to work on Win7/64 bit system (or any modern O/S). Nikon has flatly refused to write a very simple patch to the driver which can solve this problem.

23. All software copies are as "bad" as the original released-to-manufacturing built.​
    That's not true. It's a myth that the software industry has fostered to hide it's lazy inept development process.
    I've had two major software releases, on totally unrelated products, that had absolutely no bug reports or stability issues reported... none, ever.
    One was the guidance and control system for the Pegasus rocket.
    The other was a major custom software product for IBM.
    Both worked first time every time, right out of the "box".
    - Leigh

24. Windoze is a notoriously unstable operating environment. It's a multi-tasking applique on top of a single-user kernel that has virtually no internal protection. Contrast this with a real multi-user kernel like the various Unix derivatives.
    Win 7 appears to be a bit more stable, but that remains to be seen. It's taken long enough.
    Companies whose income depends solely on software sales, like Oracle or Adobe, can afford the cost of resources, personnel, and training required to build in all the work-arounds needed to prop up the crippled OS.
    Companies that make s/w available, frequently gratis, to support the sale of their products certainly cannot.
    Nikon is an optical company that sells cameras among many other product lines.
    They're not a software company.
    - Leigh

25. If a company sells a product that heavenly depends on software in order to work with it, it should provide adequate, high quality, stable software. Nikon does not only make cameras, they also sell (or sold) film scanners, for example. Its a pity such a company does not provide high quality software and updates for new Operating Systems. If they don't have the resources for writing the software, at least they should provide the communication protocols and / or drivers under a Free and Open Source Software License. So, software developers can write drivers and software, maintaining and extending with the features users request, like properly working under well written Unix / Linux OS-es. I am convinced that, on the long term, this also will be good advertisement to Nikon, as their gear will not become obsolete after every few years when a new OS shows up.

26. Windows is a notoriously stable operating system, until you begin throwing third party applications at it. As an operating system designed to handle thousands of after market applications and hardware devices it is not surprising that vendors might publish glitchy software, or drivers, that can adversely impact system stability.
    Poorly written applications that modify the registry, implement iffy .dlls, and generally corrupt the OS are usually the reason Window systems become unstable after prolonged use. Hardware failures in the CPU, memory, HD, or other support chips on the MoBo can also cause hard to find, intermittent errors.
    After some period of installing and removing software, the OS can become unstable and this will tend to aggravate any other issues the system may have. Over the years, I have often been forced to simply reload Windows on a freshly formatted drive, and then slowly add things back in until I was at a point where I could work, or I discovered the faulty application or hardware. Often, on a clean install it can be easier to discover intermittnt hardware failures.
    I would agree with the poster who recommends taking the machine to a certified geek you trust, and give them some time to poke around and see what's up. Running the system monitor and gathering reports on the hardware and software can point out (possibly) where the problem lies. The Windows system logs can also be a valuable resource to ferret out problems (if you understand the geekspeak). Google any error codes you find in the system logs to see what they mean if you really want to dig into it yourself.

27. LeighB;
    Multi - user and multi - tasking are not the same thing. Windows is not a multi - user OS and was never intended to be one. Even the Microsoft Network Operating Systems are not multi - user, they are mutli - tasking file and print sharing operating systems.
    Windows is, however, a multi - tasking OS and it does have the standard protections built in, page faults, memory segmentation, etc.
    UNIX and the various Unix like operating systems were designed from the ground up to service multiple users on one box in an interactive environment via rsh or other remote login type protocols. They typically use time slicing routines to devote CPU ticks to the different user applications based on priorities set by sysadmins.

28. Multi - user and multi - tasking are not the same thing. Windows is not a multi - user OS and was never intended to be one.​
    Thank you, Mark. I'm quite well aware of the difference between multi-user and multi-tasking.
    If you'll re-read my previous post you'll find that I said:
    "It's a multi-tasking applique on top of a single-user kernel..."
    It's a horribly antiquated architecture.
    I think Win 7 is an improved version, but I've not gotten into the internals enough to be sure.
    I've been working with windoze since the IBM PC was introduced, and with Intel-based personal computers running CP/M for ten years before that. I do have some familiarity with the environment.
    - Leigh

29. That's not true. It's a myth that the software industry has fostered to hide it's lazy inept development process.
    I've had two major software releases, on totally unrelated products, that had absolutely no bug reports or stability issues reported... none, ever.
    One was the guidance and control system for the Pegasus rocket.
    The other was a major custom software product for IBM.
    Both worked first time every time, right out of the "box".​
    I understand Leigh, I was actually referring to consumer-grade software. The mass-marketed one that you can buy online for a few hundred dollars (some of it can still be had in shrink-wrapped boxes).
    IBM products tend to work because their approach to software/hardware construction is different from the industry (Microsoft) standard.

30. I was actually referring to consumer-grade software.​
    Unfortunately I must agree with you.
    It's a pity that our expectations of quality have been so diminished by companies only interested in putting bucks in their pockets so their honchos can become the richest people in the world.
    If a company tried to sell an automobile with such low quality and huge list of problems they'd be out of business in a year.
    - Leigh

31. Even UNIX in single user state can multi - task... ;)
    Your statement was not clear about Windows and Unix, thus my comment. It was not intended to offend; merely to clarify a point. Besides, UNIX is an older, and more archaic OS than Windows... :)
    I will wander off now to compile my latest programming effort under Xenix (kidding, I have upgraded to FreeBSD these days...).

32. If the software is advertised as useable on your system and you're sure your system is properly set up then take it back to the shop you bought it on and claim a refund since the Sale of Goods Act says that the goods must be 'fit for purpose'. It's the retailer's responsibility.

33. Works great on my iMac. As the others have mentioned, this is most likely an issue with yours and other users computers; in fact, my Macbook has great difficulty running NX2 without crashing every few minutes. I have no problem with this though since my Macbook has rather poor performance stats compared to my well equipped iMac. I understand that it's the computer, not the software.
    NX2 with the Nik filter expansion software has had a very positive effect on my photography and I love how it operates (on my iMac). My still life wouldn't be the same without it. Thank you Nikon and Nik :D

34. If a company tried to sell an automobile with such low quality and huge list of problems they'd be out of business in a year.​
    Google Daewoo or Isuzu.
    @ Dr Penn
    Then again, when I read a letter like yours, I immediately put Nikon off the list and go to one of the many other vendors of electron microscopes.​
    Seems a bit harsh don't you think?
    Personally, I think the OP wanted somewhere to rant. Nikon does not develop, create, or support (well) Capture NX2. It is developed by a third party and branded by Nikon. If you want real support, (as others have mentioned), contact NIK Software since they developed CaptureNX and CaptureNX2.
    NIK SOFTWARE CONTACT PAGE

35. Frank, I also support the recommendation that you take your computer to a reliable pc tech for a thorough check. I run NX2, version 2.2.6, on three windows pcs w/o any problems.
    My oldest laptop is about 9 years old, runs with XP Pro, service pack 3, has an Intel Pentium processor at 2.0 GHz with only 2 GB of Ram. NX2 runs fine on this machine and does not crash. This pc has all Microsoft Office products on it too. When this pc started to run real slowly, I took it to my pc guy and he wiped the hard disk clean and reinstalled all of the software that I needed along with the latest drivers. This laptop is running better now than it was when new. NX2 and all of its previous versions never has crashed on this laptop.
    I have another newer laptop-- win 7, 64 bit, 4 GB Ram. NX2, no problems at all. Same with my desktop win 7, 64 bit, NX 2, 2 monitors, 8 GB RAM, no problems.
    I think version 2.2.7 is now available.
    NX2 is the only raw processor that I use. I stopped using Photoshop with PS 7.
    Regarding Thom Hogan's negative comments on NX2, one is valid IMO--lack of 64 bit support at this time. I do not know if NIK is developing this version or not. Thom's other comments are more opinions than facts, IMO. Also he fails to state that NX2 has features (Control Point technology) not found in some of the other products unless you buy a plug in (NIK Vivesa ) at a cost that exceeds the full price of NX2.
    The key is to recognize what NX2 is and is not and what it should be compared to.
    Joe Smith

36. Wow! Just checked my mailbox ... believe it or not, there are some who say D76, stop bath, and fixer were WAY TO COMPLICATED! At HKU (Hard Knocks University), and CCE (College of Continuing Education), this has been absolutely OUTSTANDING.

37. I've not experienced any problems with Capture NX or NX2. But all I do with it is open an NEF file and do some simple processing to it, and then move it over the Photoshop CS5 and finish there. I run it on an iMac with a 2.93ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 8gb of RAM. It hasn't ever crashed or froze up on me once. I find it a very nice program overall.
    To the OP: I would recommend you copy all the documents from your PC over to an external hard drive, and then re-install Windows and all your apps. You can do this yourself without taking it in to a PC tech. PC techs usually charge $80 or so just to look at your PC, which I don't think is worth it for you.
    Since I don't know the age of your computer, or the specs, I can recommend only this. Sometimes on a Windows PC there are tons of garbage applications installed that are up to no good. This is usually junk that the computer manufacturer puts on there. This is why I build my own PC's so I can escape this experience.
    When you reinstall, make sure to do a long format of your hard drive. This will map out any bad sectors and they will not be used when the OS installs or at any other time. It could just be that your particular install of NX2 is damaged.
    Until you have completely nuked, re-formatted, and re-installed Windows and all your applications, you can't really point the finger at NX2 as the cause of the problem. You have to go through troubleshooting steps on your own first. And document everything you do when you reinstall, keeping track of which applications you install, etc, to try to pinpoint the cause of the problem. Sometimes it is something as simple as Norton thinking NX2 is trying something that it shouldn't, and it's blocking it to "keep you safe." You never know until you try.

38. I want to return a bit to the matter of contacting senior management (either in the UK or Japan). What kind of responce would you be expecting? A very experienced business manager to do what? "Command" the support people to delve deep into the code and fix whatever needs fixing for you? (Especially given you're working on a system traditionally riddled with problems and various incompatibilities, which essentially makes ANY remote diagnostic attempt almost futile?) Apologise to you? Would that resolve your crashes? Offer compensation? Would that resolve your crashes?
    And if there were no earthquake problems in Japan, would you honestly expect the president to do what? Spank the UK management for...what precisely? For offering you good support? For being kind and courteous? Or would you expect the president to go across town to the software division (which, by the way, is now a separate company) and, after ranting at them, have their head come to your house in person with a team of 10 engineers and programmers to see what's what?
    The whole idea is, frankly, absurd. I have worked in the support department of one of the world's best technology companies and such absurd demands and letters were, even when passed on to management, vetted and returned to the support department or even discarded outright. Look at it this way: if the CEO spends 20 mins on your issue (just reading the letters) the cost to the company would probably be much, much more than simply refunding you the money and sending you on your merry way!
    Now, I don't mean to belittle your problem, but there is such a thing as appropriateness. And proportion. True, if you were Joe McNally, chances are senior management would bend over backwards to accommodate you, but alas neither you nor I are. In fact, even in his case, they would NOT have been able to solve the problem for him, simply because it is contingent to factors completely outside their control...

39. Yeah, de-fragmenting or reformatting the HD, re-installing the
    software on a regular basis are typical features of this wonderful
    OS from that well known company. Also, crashing of an application
    or hanging of the entire system does not surprise anybody. In
    addition, running anti-virus programs to 'protect' the system, that
    occupies a significant amount of RAM and CPU, also are accepted as
    normal practices.

With all respect to the users of these OS here, but I left this
    garbage behind already more than 15 years ago and never looked
    back. Tried out several Linux distro's and sticked to GNU/Debian since
    ten years, because of its philosophy: its written and maintained by
    its users on a voluntary basis. So the user and his 'computer
    experience' are the primary goals, not the pockets of a company. There
    are no commercial interests or a single company behind it, that may
    change its corporate strategy to its willing and leave its users
    alone.

Therefore, the system is rock solid, works on (currently) eleven (!)
    different architectures (among two of these are kFreeeBSD), includes
    more than 29.000 packages (programs and libraries) and provides
    excellent support for users and developers. I only will have to
    install the OS from scratch once: when a new HD or computer
    arrives. Upgrades are done in-place. CPU and RAM is used for
    applications, no virus scanners are needed. Yes, it takes time to
    learn the system. But you can find documentation of excellent quality
    and support using the mailing lists. And you can learn and investigate
    the system into detail as far as you like, because its all open
    source. The time for learning the system is well worth and will pay
    off on the long term.

The only draw back is that many manufactures of electronic devices do
    not want to share the drivers under a Open Source license for their
    devices. So, these manufactures oblige the user to buy the other
    OS. That's a pity and a shame: it restricts users in the application
    of the products they have paid for and are the legal owner. But if
    consumers would be a little bit more critical, they should select
    their products on the availability for other OS-es than only
    MS_WIN.

Said this, the Nikon scanners (the ED 8000, for example) have been
    reverse engineered and seem to work fine using the SANE software
    project. I am looking forward somebody will finish the same job for
    the ED 9000, which I own. Is there any electronics engineer listening
    here? I am open to colaborate. Though I have quite some programming
    experiences, my knoledge on electronics is minimum
    :)

Gerber

40. I myself have noticed that Nikon software is something less than elegant on several computers, but if you can tolerate it the results are good.

41. Gerber - Those of us who prefer to use our PCs to get work done have little interest in learning UNIX like operating systems. I tried that route and the learning curve detracted from what I wanted to do so I left it behind. If you prefer UNIX, get a Mac running their version of freeBSD. If you want software that will run thousands of third party applications and hardware devices, get a PC. In both cases the GUI will simplify life. And no, the GUIs provided in the various LINUX distro's (or even Solaris' GUI offerings) are not the same.
    ;-)
    Remember, it's an OS, not a religion...

42. Linux for photography? I mean, sure, you can, but why - none of the usual software runs on it. If you really want UNIX, use a Mac.

43. This is an exaggeration, dont you think? Just ask for a refund and use lightroom or capture one instead. Best regards!

44. IMHO I think it concerns a little bit more than 'just an OS'. It concerns about freedom and control of the computer and its software where it belongs: to the user. Did you ever read the licence agreements of the software installed on your system? You are not the owner of the software, you only may use it under severe restrictions. This, even when you buy 1000$$ equipment and the belonging software, it's not yours: you are not allowed to know how it works, adapt it to your needs or whatever.
    It seems the majority of the consumers have adapted and accepted the whole situation that the full control is in the hands of a few companies having a monopoly position. Then, one should not complain the problems that show up, the (often) low quality helpdesks and the time spent to tweek the system, without knowing what's going on behind the screens, i.e. lost time. Sure, program X works fine to me now, so why complain? And what about tomorrow? Can you still read / write your data from / to your device? Does it still work anyhow on the next generation OS? Or just keep a couple of computers around with obsolete OS-es? Nowadays computer usage is such important in everyone's life, I am still surprised there is so few consciousness about this issue.
    Of course one needs a computer to perform a task, mostly within tight deadlines. This counts to everyone, including me. But once I was doing a mission critical task with a tight time path (writing a PhD thesis) using the well known famous OS, I moved out from it because of its malfunctioning (losing data, blue screens etc). Even at that time, when Linux systems needed a lot of attention before working well, it payed well off to me. The time I had to spent to learn the system, still is an advantage now to me. Even lots of technologies have been changed in the mean time, but the basis functioning has remained the same and will not change drastic in a short period of time. Nowadays, installing, configuring and learning a modern Linux distro is definitely not more complicated than upgrading from WIN-XP to VISTA, for example.
    Therefore, I often suggest to consumers to insist towards manufactures to make their electronic devices work on a Free and Open Source platform and issue their drivers under such a FOSS license (what will they loose in not doing so?), or buying selectively.
    Searching for freedom is not a religion, having it should be a normal thing. Unfortunately, it's not always is like that.
    OK, I admit, I am very convinced concerning this issue.
    ;)

45. I 've been always a Capture NX user especially for basic processing and conversion. For advanced editing I resort to CS5.
    I ran Capture NX with all the Win based systems like XP, Vista and 7 ultimate. And although I like the results achieved with it, I cannot overlook the quirks it has.
    Since I upgraded my O/S to Win7, and my hardware to an I7, with 2 very good graphic cards, 6 Gigs of RAM and a SSD, CNX2 works OK, far from brilliant but OK. However it is very obvious to us the team who wrote this piece of software were not too much into photography. And it seems they are still not into it.
    In the old times, producst were releasead after a proper quality check, nowadays is quite ussual that manufacturers have their customers doing the hands on testing after the product purchase. The Mark III AF, Nikon 7000 hot pixels, K5 stains, are just some to mention. They fix what they can on the go and that's it.
    Coming back to the managers response, to me it is obvious they are aware about CNX2' shortcommings as I am pretty sure they have their own source of info, so more than a political statement, if any, you will not get.

46. Well... I don't see how useful it is to have less restrictive software licensing when it's not the software you want to use.
    And I've been using computers for somewhere between 28 and 30 years for various purposes and dont have any files
    I can't read in some current program, so I think that problem is a bit overblown and I also fail to see the link between it
    and choice of operating system.

To me, and I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way, choice of computer is controlled by usefulness, meaning how
    much it does and how well, as well as value measured over the life of the computer, followed by design and build
    quality - software license terms are a minuscule consideration. And if I want free software, it's not like there's much
    that's useful that runs on Linux but not Mac - and there's a huge number of useful programs that run on Mac but not
    Linux.

47. Linux for photography? I mean, sure, you can, but why - none of the usual software runs on it.​
    Well, Bibble runs on Linux, and runs pretty well. For me, It ran much better than any Nikon Software did on Windows; no crashes, fast response, less resource consumption. Also, a decent Linux distro plus a Bibble 5 license cost *less* than a Windows 7 license alone (without antivirus, anti-malware, etc, much less imaging software).

48. Bibble is one choice. It also runs on Mac and Windows, which also run all the other software. A windows or OSX
    license is cheap and there's plenty of free anti-malware software out there, so aside from the cost of an OS is there
    any good reason to use Linux for photography?

Of course, CNX2 won't crash on Linux - because it won't run!

49. so aside from the cost of an OS is there any good reason to use Linux for photography?​
    Well, when it comes to operating systems, stability ranks high on my list. If I were on a budget and had to choose, I'd go for Linux and Bibble without hesitation. At least I won't be wasting a great deal of hardware resources protecting the OS from itself and external threats (myself included).
    Oh, and Windows is a cheap product, but not an inexpensive one.

50. Seems like a disproportionate response to a simple software problem that could be simply related to your computer.
    Did you want to do a lot of damage to Nikon or get the problem resolved ? I think the former has happened now, and posts like this probably cost companies multi thousands of dollars in bad publicity when really , we do not know the full story on both sides.
    Every pancake has two sides.

51. PC (personal computer) operating systems are certainly a bone of contention among the user base. I personally use Windows; I have tried OS X, Linux (and other UNIX like OS'), Solaris, CP/M, and maybe one or two others along the way.
    I am a Windows guy. It has been just as stable as any other OS I have tried, but far easier to manage in the latest releases. If you feel differently, or if political, philosophical, or even GPL concerns drive you to other ways of working; well then that is just perfect. My view of how things should work requires healthy competition for customers. If you are the best you will have the most adherents (users).
    Today, that is Microsoft. Hands down, and there is no way to deny it; Microsoft owns the desktop for some very valid reasons. Apple has a very elegant and stable product. However many years ago they gave up on the business computing world and it still haunts them today. Linux, due to its inability to provide a point and click interface that dumbs thing down enough for Ma and Pa kettle to work efficently (aka Apple) will circle around the periphery until they can find a way to make it user friendly. This fact can not be disputed imho... :)
    And seriously, and this comes from many years of IT and intrusion avoidance experience working with folks who held patents in basic networking technology and some UNIX professionals without peer; If you aren't running some kind of anti - virus, malware, trojan, bomb, etc protection on your OS-X or Linux / Unix machine you are being foolish. There are just as many, if not more, vulnerabilities in the non Microsoft world. It is a false sense of security because these flaws just aren't being widely exploited. And, since the folks who write these types of Trojans are not script kiddies using 'apps' to create malware, the threat can be truly insidious...

52. I've never had much luck with the NX software so I gave up years ago with it like many others. I wonder how many download the trial, just give up with it and move on to something else.

53. I really wonder why a rant about Nikon failing to fully support one customer has to lead to a discussion on operating systems.... and the usually semi-religious "my license is better than yours" and "mine is more stable than yours" mumbo jumbo. But it's amusing. And always the same.
    Somehow I always wonder how Linux can be so much more stable than my Windows machine, given that my system never crash. And I tried Linux a few times, but it just slowed me down. Call me silly, but I have a PC to get something done. I did not get a PC to admire the architecture of its OS, the license terms of the software I use or to spit through the source code of my web browser.... For me, Windows happens to work best, because it's what I am used to and it's what I know best.
    To each his own, though. So, when some flavour of Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX or MacOS work better for you, please do use it. Just consider how much you need to convince others that their choice is not the best according to you. And then let's all get our work done the way we like best. So we can go out take photos. Much nicer.
    As for CaptureNX2, it sure isn't the most stable software ever and it likes memory. I've had little issues with it, and somewhere 2.2.4 thereabouts fixed a lot of speed issues for me. ViewNX (1 and 2) can be rather temperamental when QuickTime is not properly working, and since QuickTime on PC is also not the most fast and stable ever... it's not a marriage made in heaven.
    I also own CaptureOne 5, and like it very well. It's fast, stable and renders good quality. And every time I use it, I just see how I like Capture NX2's output better, and it can simply do more. So, for all its flaws and quirks, to me CNX2 has always been worth the effort. But I am sure not amazed to see many have issues with it.

54. is this a joke or what?

55. It's what.

56. Though the OS discussion here is completely off-topic, I cannot resist.
    I agree with the sentiment that Linux being better doesn't matter much, when you can't run the software you want to run on it. I am a big Linux fan, have it running as my central server at home, and I have written and managed commercial software developed on and for Linux. Ironically, my first introduction to Photoshop was on a Sun box around 1996, can't remember now if it was SunOS or Solaris. Even then, I prefer Photoshop and Lightroom on Windows any day over Gimp on Linux. Windows 7 is pretty stable, I have no complaints, other than what we Linux aficionados term "ongoing DLL hell".
    However, to Mark's point about Windows being universal is because it is a better product, that has nothing to do with it. That has to do with IBM's decision to license the PC design to OEMs, and Microsoft's business savvy to get IBM to allow them to sell DOS/Windows for IBM-clones, and Microsoft's continued business savvy in OEM deals and ability to crush competitors. None of that has to do with technical reasons. Apple stuck with the decision to stay with proprietary hardware, even now with x86 hardware to make it incredibly difficult to put MacOS on garden-variety PC hardware (Hackintosh, etc.). Windows is pretty much the worst among the PC-OS variants, it sticks around because Windows HW is relatively cheap, there are millions of folks running around with the "skills" to "re-image" the OS when it runs into trouble, not for any technical superiority.
    Linux/Unix used to require a lot of cryptic command knowledge to administer, but it has been competitive with reasonable GUIs for a few years. The Mac OS-X GUI is definitely the best Unix GUI out there. I have recently read that the makers of Ubuntu are ditching the Gnome/KDE window managers, and going for a proprietary and commercial solution that will try to make it better, hopefully commercial interests will drive some of the polish that is lacking.

57. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator