Nikon Transfer creating duplicate JPEGs

brian_bahn

<p>I did a search for some answers on this but I only found what seemed to be a RAW & JPEG issue.</p>

<p>When I use Nikon Transfer to download my pics from D300 to PC I am getting duplicate JPEG files and I think Nikon Transfer is doing it because they don't show up on my memory card(at least while it's in camera(I don't have a card reader). Even so, the number of pics I have left on the CF card seems to be in line...ex. typically shooting Fine JPG I get approx. 550 shots. Well, this past time shooting my card says 344 left to go, which is about right, I shot about 200 shots. But Transfer shows 430 in the queue.</p>

<p>OK. this is really weird. As I'm typing this question I am loading files and now it's done, it did the same thing as before, it starts adding the duplicate file about 1/3 of the way into loading. So the first 50 pics or so don't have a duplicate but the rest do. The duplicate is named the same but is followed by "_01". That's weird!</p>

<p>Any thoughts of what to look for first to fix it?</p>

<p>Were you shooting in JPEG format, RAW (NEF), or both?</p>

<p>Nikon Transfer has a number of options - put files in to a sub-folder, don't transfer duplicates, delete images from the card after transfer, etc. You have to consider each one carefully.</p>

<p>Nikon Transfer will tell you how many files it intends to transfer before you tell it do start the transfer, so there should be no surprises.</p>

<p>Are the _01 files occasional, or do ALL files have this "duplicate" name? Duplicate names are sometimes created when you take two photos at nearly the same time and then try to rename the files using a timestamp in the name.</p>

<p>For example:</p>

<p>my_image_20090916_175234.jpg<br>

my_image_20090916_175234-1.jpg</p>

<p>If all of the images are being duplicated, check to see if you have the backup destination set as the same folder you are downloading the images to. That could explain the duplicates. If not, then Dan is probably closer to the answer.</p>

<p>One nice feature about Nikon cameras is that Windows Explorer sees the camera as another drive. Sometimes it's quicker to simply use that to copy the images from the camera to your computer if you don't need to edit them in the process. You can also use it to verify that there are no duplicates on your CF card.</p>

<p>Shooting in JPEG only. And it's not all of the files being duplicated. It starts duplicating at some point after the transfer starts so I don't beliieve it is a setting. I checked the back up setting and it's not set to put a back up copy.<br>

When I first started the download it showed 430 in the queue before it started to download, liek I said this was way more than I took, and once it was done it showed that there were 384 in the folder so even the numbers it showed didn't match from start to finish.</p>

<p>If you look in Transfer's Preferences tab, you'll see an option labeled "Transfer new photos only." If that option is checked, transfer will skip files on your card that you have transferred previously. That would explain why fewer were transferred than you expected.</p>

<p>Are the _01 versions identical to the files without the extension? Or are they different images taken very close together, e.g. while holding the shutter button down?</p>

<p>Try formatting a memory card (not the one that contains your photos), snap a dozen images and transfer them to an empty folder on your computer. Did you get all of the files that you were expecting?</p>

<p>For the record I use Nikon Transfer, and it has never given me a single problem.</p>

<p>Yes, I have it set to transfer new photos only. But all of the files on the card were new. I brought the card to work and have a card reader here. Shows 215 files. When I connected camera to PC at home Nikon Transfer showed 430 in the queue, which is double the actual amount obviously, but again, it didn't duplicate all of them, which again, I want none of them duplicated.</p>

<p>The files are exactly the same(not from high speed shutter), when you go from one to the other viewing them there is zero discernable difference, just have a "_01" behind the original file name For example.</p>

<p>DSC_2819.JPG<br>

DSC_2819_01.JPG</p>

<p>This has happened on two different cards now, both of which I formatted in camera before shooting. I've always used Nikon Transfer as well with no problems, this just started happening. Very strange.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>bump on this thread, same thing is happening to me. It's maddening, I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm using a D700 w/Transfer on a Mac, no card reader (just USB direct connection to camera). At least you confirmed that the card has only the "real" images and the _01 files are being created by the transfer. </p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...