Nikon too stingey to give out proper brochures

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by andrew_fedon, Sep 26, 2008.

1. A friend of mine just came back from Photokina2008, the major photographic manufacturers annual showcase in
    held in Germany every year. I asked him to bring back a few original glossy brochures fro me , such as the D700
    and the Nikkor lenses brochure, because I'm fed up with looking at cheap, low res downloads from the internet, and
    besides the oriinal brochures were always a nice item to keep and I've tried to keep those of of all the Nikons I've
    owned. I got the Nikkor lens brochure, but for the D700 all I got was a Cd-rom with the D700 brochure in digital form !
    Thats all they were giving out to people interested in buying their D-SLR's. That is a piss poor effort for Nikon, and at
    the major European showcase of the year for their products. Very, very dissapointed. Has anyone managed to get
    an original glossy brochure ?

2. Glossy brochures are very expensive to produce, and if they're given out at a show like Photokina then need to be printed in a few different languages. Supplying digital brochures to customers for digital products makes sense to me - same design costs but minimal media cost.

As someone who actually buys new cameras (sometimes) I'm glad that Nikon doesn't waste my money providing useless products for people who like to collect brochures.

3. The trend is now to hand out memory sticks or CDs from marketing events; a lot of stuff can be packed on one and the stick is sort of like a promotional gift.

I'm afraid that you are in the minority with the glossy brochures. I used to read them, they had nice pictures and all, but then tossed them. The majority of brochures just weren't interesting to keep.

4. Gary, I do not consider brochures with details/specs/photos of very expensive Nikon cameras, that help sway me towards buying or not buying as just "usless products for people who like to collect brochures". I'm sure that most people who have owned one of the well known Nikons have wanted to have the original brochure, not some cheap cd-rom.

5. And besides, at a major event, you advertise your product, you splash out on advertising your product. That is the one place where you should give out the good stuff. Events like that are known for their 'freebies', not that I consider a brochure for a $3000 camera as being just a 'freebie'.

6. I guess you are going to have to switch to Canon or Sony!

7. I'm sure that most people who have owned one of the well known Nikons have wanted to have the original brochure, not some cheap cd-rom.
    I can't speak for owners of well-known Nikons, but over the years, I've never had a brochure for any of the cameras I've bought, and I've never even given a thought to having the brochure. Either the camera does what I need, or it doesn't. I've never purchased a camera based on the slickness of its advertising.

8. Maybe they ran out. I picked up a bunch of brochures from their brochure desk at Photokina.

9. Collecting bits of paper is a peculiar and inexplicable passion.

In the old days of photography, we called them "prints". You may have seen them. They are odd little 2-dimensional representations of the real world, usually tragically inept attempts at communication. Some of us put them on our walls rather than look outside the window at the real world.

In radio parlance we are sometimes known as "QSL hounds" (and worse). Radio NHK Japan and China Radio International send out very nice pieces of paper. Pirate radio stations send out peculiar stuff, some with fur and other unknown materials on them.

Write to Nikon. Explain your passion for their product and addiction to paper. They may take pity on you and send you brochures, if only to make you go away.

The rest of you heathens, go back to staring at your computer screens and cuddling your uncomfortable CDs and DVDs.

10. And just in case anyone thinks Andrew's request is odd, this is a sample of what I collect...
    00QzDP-73763584.jpg

11. I contacted Nikon USA and they mailed me a nice glossy D700 brochure. It took about 2 days to arrive.

12. Major stores like Calumet have them if you ask.

13. I just went to Photokina on Thurs and they (Nikon) had quite a few brochures most of them were in German but I
    still picked up quite a few in English. The brochures I was able to get were the general Nikkon brochure, the
    Nikkor lens, the D90, the Coolpix, Digital Imaging system. They also were giving out Capture NX2 software along
    w/ the CD with all the digital brochures on it. Not bad considering that Manfrotto wouldn't give me any catalogs
    because I did not have business cards to give them. I'm going back on Sunday and I'll look again to see if they
    have anymore/new brochures including the D700.

14. Every single store I go they have hundreds of brochures. They all end up in the garbage. I only keep the newest lens
    brochure, at home, at the office, in my car and in my camera bag. That's for references but the original brochure of my
    cameras I don't need them. What ever is on the web is enough.

15. Why waste money and storage space and create lots of trash when you can get the information quickly from the web?
    Manufacturers can update information in real time when it's distributed on the web. Not so with print. They have to throw
    away the old...more waste.

Why do you need glossy brochures when you can download real raw files and see the real thing for yourself?

Spec sheets don't need to be high resolution, and as I said, you can download actual image files, so what on earth do
    you need brochures for?

16. Lex: "In the old days of photography, we called them "prints". You may have seen them" - Just because you've gone digital Lex, you don't bother printing anymore ? A "print" is now dirty word ???? Are we turning snob at "prints" ? As far as I'm concerned, if anyone wasn't around in the old days of photography, they don't understand photography.

Mary: Fine. Next time you want to buy that nice new expensive car, and you go to the showroom for some literature, You be happy when they stick some cheapo cd-rom in your hand.

Personally, I'm glad I saved my old F3, F4, Nikkors of yesteryear brochures etc brochures. I've had many opportunites to compare the info on them with later stuff.

17. Does anyone have an Al Rosen baseball card from 1954? I heard that his picture was made with a Nikon camera. Yes, I know that the Indians dropped four straight in the Series to the Giants, and that Rosen had no at bats, but value is in the mind of the collector. I was nine years old that year and lived in Akron. Have pity on me. I really, really want that card. I know that it is a sickness, but I just can't help myself.

--Lannie

18. I've always considered brochures to be a bit of a marketing ploy. If I want to make a big ticket purchase ($10000 camera, $80000 car or similar) there is one thing alone that I am interested. Getting my hands on it for a test. A brochure is just propaganda. I want to know what I can achieve with the camera in my hands, without relying on 50 hours of post processing.
    I feel for the OP, there is a change in marketing methods. Brochures used to be all the rage, but now its usb sticks , credit card sized cd roms (remember those gimmicks that used to destroy slot loading drives?) and reviews on websites.
    I'm not sure of the etiquette here so I will refrain from mentioning certain other websites by name, but if I am going to buy a camera I look at the internet first for reviews and background. There are a wealth of decent sites out there that have great reviews and real world sample images, and theres always a certain english photographer whose never written a bad review in his life if you want to see what to avoid. I will then rent whatever I want to buy. Many stores will allow you to try it for free if they know you are serious, and if you are going to buy an expensive camera, the cost of renting is insignificant. Then I go and buy it.
    I'm not sure why the OP prefers brochures, to be honest it comes across as a bit of a collectors fetish. Do you want pictures of the product or taken by the product? If its the former, buy it and you can take plenty, if its the latter then there is a wealth of full resolution images on the interweb. Failing that rent it. If you are a brochure collector then switch to collecting pdf's or realise its about the photography not the brochures.
    I fall in the camp that would rather manufacturers spent their money on R&D and not on brochures I guess.

19. Although I enjoy looking at a nicely printed, glossy paper brochure, at this point I would rather see Nikon spend the money on R&D of new cameras and lens.

20. "As far as I'm concerned, if anyone wasn't around in the old days of photography, they don't understand photography."

That is the most pompass, ridiculous, and not to mention marrow minded statement I've heard on here in awhile...

Brochures are a huge expense to the company and sometimes to the retailer if the are forced to pay a portion of the cost... i.e.. car dealerships are charged for whatever they order and for your info the manufacturers are moving away from print and on to digital media.

21. Brochures are decidedly 'un-green' as well.

22. Apologies for the lack of paragraphs.

Nikon make cameras, not brochures.

23. "Brochures are decidedly 'un-green' as well."

I've never owned an SUV, and I ride public transit to work. I'll spend a little of my small carbon footprint on a brochure if I want one!

24. I'm a staunch brochure collector. I have all the brochures for my Nikon cameras and lenses going back to 1971. Also dozens of Hasselblad and Leica brochures.

If I had spent the money to go to Photokina and was not able to procure a brochure from Nikon, I would have created an
    international incident.

Actually, I'll bet Nikon did have hard copy brochures of the D700. They were probably just out of them.

25. As an avid collector of silly threads, I'll be printing a copy of this one.

26. Brilliant contribution, David! Best nightcap (sp.?) I could've wished for.

And yes, some camera's are so 'iconic' that the accompanying brochure is treasured too. I only have a few. The one of the late eighties with the whole line-up right up to the F501 is treasured. Nostalgia.

27. One thing that's nice about printed brochures is that they contain fairly nicely done images. Nikon's PDF versions online
    have such low resolution that they're useless for this purpose, and irritating even for monitor viewing. The web based non-
    PDF content is better for obtaining technical data.

Typically Nikon's advertising pictures at least have been made by photographers, while online images on test
    sites typically are taken by tech geeks who have no idea about how to take a nice photograph. E.g. dpreview.com samples
    - take any 15 year old kid who has never used an SLR and you'll get more attractive images.

28. Yes David, thank you for the great idea!

29. Andrew, I think you misunderstood my sense of humor. I'm entirely sympathetic to your position.

I like paper stuff. It appeals to my peculiar aesthetic. My first jobs as a kid including delivering newspapers and running a hand-cranked printing press in a tiny print shop, mostly making business cards, invitations, announcements and, yes, brochures. I later studied graphic design and the related subject - typography, page design and layout. When you've been elbow deep in hot wax during pasteups, you develop a peculiar passion for this sorta thing.

The rest of ya are a buncha heathens and tree huggers. Y'all should be real cozy with your cuddly locust trees and poison ivy.

David GN: That's the funniest thing I've read all day. I hate it when people are funnier than I am. You're on my list. I'll be sending you a nice packet of freeze dried bokeh for the next thread about the "b" word.

30. Wow! If I'd have known that the brochure for the D700 was so hard to come by I would have grabbed 10 of them yesterday at my local camera store... They only had 80 or so left... wonder if they still have 1 or if I'll have to pay a premium for it on E-Bay.

Dave

31. "As an avid collector of silly threads, I'll be printing a copy of this one."

Use a small font and you can get it onto one page. Or, better yer, take a screen shot and save it as a pdf!

32. I used to get the full Nikon brochures from my dealer every year, and every year I'd put it on the trash after looking at the pretty pictures. If I wanted more info on the camera/lens, I'd visit the store and touch them and use them in person. --Rich

33. For me, I prefer less wastage. For every person that keeps a brochure for ever (like Andrew), 99.99 percent will throw it away within a week. Frankly, even the CD-Rom is a waste...99.99 percent of them will end up in the landfill. It would be nice if Nikon would provide high rez photos/brochures for those who want quality images.

34. I worked for a major distributor of cameras from Europe, and we burned through tens of thousands of dollars in brochures in just a two or three day show. Then there's the issue of lost or delayed shipment of items. I doubt it's a matter of being cheap; probably they had some other reason. I have to admit I'm a sucker for equipment portrayed well in a nice brochure. If you talk to the guys at the show, they can often "come up with one" for you. Probably not so much if you're carrying a few bags filled with other brochures though.

35. I clarify, I meant it would be nice of Nikon posts hi rez DIGITAL brochures equivalent to their high quality print versions of the past.

36. To all those that advocate that money would be better spent on R&D, do you really think that the cost of the brochure is going to make a diffrence ? Are you going to spent MILLIONS on developing a world leading product, then skimp on the cost of the brochure, the shop window of your product ?

Robert: "they were pobably just out of them". No, the visit was on the first and second days.

Albin: "some cameras are so iconic that the accompanying brochure is treasured as well". I cound't of put it better Albin. Thanks for understanding.

Ken: "That is the most pompass, ridiculous, and not to mention marrow minded statement I've heard on here in awhile... " - Ken, I'm talking about those that cut their photographic teeth/knowledge from the days of SLR's and film as oppossed to those that went straight into digital photography. I stand by that. You can start a separate depate on that. The results will be interesting.

37. Nikon was however the champion in handing out bags at Photokina. A small fleet of young women were giving them away -- empty -- as you left the Messe/Deutz train station, some 300 meters from the expo hall. Other companies' bag dispensers were stationed closer to the building. Canon had a special window for brochure dispensation. With the Internet, however, there was very little new information at Photokina, brochures or no brochures. You've seen it all before. You could touch, You could talk to a company employee. You could eat a € 13 steak (vegetables extra at €3.50 each legume). But Photokina isn't much of a consumer show, although I suspect most of the tens of thousands there were consumers. It still seems to function as a medieval-style trade fair. In the basement were the Chinese lens-makers and the Indian software-vendors. Watch that space. If Nikon got its camera start imitating Contax, what will the Chinese imitate to get theirs? Will these forums 10 years from now be debating which Chinese camera system is the best?

38. Lex (perpendicularity consultant) Jenkins , Sep 27, 2008; 06:27 a.m.
    And just in case anyone thinks Andrew's request is odd, this is a sample of what I collect...

I started collecting QSL cards from A.M. broadcast stations back in the early 1960's. It was a fun hobby. I recently
    moved from a suburban home to a small apartment, and divested myself of 95% of everything I ever owned, including
    old cameras and brochures. It's amazing what we don't need. Let's give the planet a break.

Bill P.

39. This planet is heating up fast. Go green. More papers = Less Trees. :)

40. More paper = More trees. Trees used for making paper are raised like any farm crop. They're continually replanted.

Digital isn't any more green. It just shifts the eco-burden to where most folks can't see it.

None of which has anything to do with Andrew's complaint. Where marketing anything is concerned, including cameras, paper is still a key element in an overall marketing scheme. It's human nature to appreciate tangible tokens of desired objects. It's linked to the very reason why many of us take photographs in the first place.

41. Nikon did have printed brocures at Photokina, but not camera specific brocures that I'm aware of.

I'm looking at the Total Digital Imaging System brocure and Digital Imaging Technology brocure right now. Of course both are in German, which is exactly what I would expect for a convention held in Germany, although I think they also had English versions as well.

The issuing of CDs isn't something that was specific to only Nikon, it was done by several manufacturers, including Epson, who provided CDs only and had no printed brocures.

Nothing wrong with it in my view. If I want to upgrade a camera, I don't base my decision on the brocure, I get down to a store and try the real thing. The value of a printed brocure as a mechanism to decide on a purchase is pretty small in the photographic industry and the ease of distributing multimedia marketing information over the internet really reduces the value of static printed material even further.

Just a sign of the times and certainly not Nikon being stingy, just them moving with the rest of the industry.

42. Andrew, just got back from closing day of Photokina and I checked again on the D700 brochure but no luck. I asked if there was a reason as to why they had a brochure for the D90 but not the D700 and the lady behind the counter said that their focus is to push the D90 with the HD video capabilities (as an upgraded D80) over the D700 which she state some people were looking at as a stepped down D3.

43. they can be stingey all they want in terms of PR for all I care. What *matters* to me is quality products at an affordable price. The latter criteria, obviously, being open to interpretation (unfortunately for me)

44. Gordo, you've got to laugh. What kind of sorry excuse is "their focus is to push the D90 with the HD video capabilities (as an upgraded D80) over the D700 which she state some people were looking at as a stepped down D3" ? (LOL) . Sounds like " you WILL look at the D90, you WILL forget about the D700 & others !).

45. I admit Nikon has always produced nice brochures.

It seems it is no longer about marketing to sell the product since, most people have made up their minds to purchase by way of research online or physical demonstration of the product at retail outlets/shows.

Now it seems people have gotten used to these brochures and that somehow feel it is their right to have one. If Nikon had started out giving away for free 50 page editions, people would now be complaining why Nikon has chosen to cheap out and give away only 15 page versions instead.

IMHO for the amount that ends up in the garbage, I would prefer abbreviated versions or downloadable versions.

46. I found a camera store in central London that had Nikon brochures in a rack by the front door. I asked if I could take a couple and they said sure go ahead! I got the D300 and D700 brochures, but as they only had one D3 brochure left on the rack, I left that one for someone else.

47. "As far as I'm concerned, if anyone wasn't around in the old days of photography, they don't understand photography."

Wooow, man, you must be really old if you were around the days of Daguerre, Niépce and the others! :D

Or maybe Talbot, Archer, etc? :p

Ok, ok... Maddox & Eastman? :D

hehehe, Well I would go back to hug my tree ;)

Luis

48. @Andrew: "As far as I'm concerned, if anyone wasn't around in the old days of photography, they don't understand
    photography."

In the introduction to The Photographer's Eye, John Szarkowski included a quote from an English writer (E. E.
    Cohen) who
    complained that the invention of the dry plate had "created an army of photographers who run rampant over the
    globe, photographing objects of all sorts, sizes, and shapes, under almost every condition, without ever pausing
    to ask themselves, is this or that artistic?... They spy a view, it seems to please, the camera is focussed, the
    shot taken! There is no pause, why should there be? For art may err but nature cannot miss, says the poet, and
    they listen to the dictum. To them, composition, light, shade, form and texture are so many catch phrases...."

The quote is from 1893. Had the writer been writing a few years later after the Kodak camera came out, by
    comparison he might well have had a stoke in the process. The same tired arguments come up time and again in the
    film v digital debate.

So irrespective of your own position, you really are in the same group as the rest of us. There is always someone
    who, as the quote demonstrates, was around earlier and who can take the same self elevated position that you have
    taken. By their standards, you like the rest of us, may be just a snap-shooter with has no regard to aesthetics
    as it was
    applied to the days of the wet plate.

Harbouring negative opinions about other people you don't even know doesn't help anything and certainly won't do
    anything to change their approach to the medium or encourage them to look at things from a different perspective.
    In the end the only person it affects is you. People can't help when they were born or when they began
    photography. By dismissing a large group of people, you are only closing yourself off to the possibility of
    seeing something in a new way that you hadn't thought of before.

As Bryan Peterson (and others) indicates in his articles on this site and his books, the essence of a camera
    hasn't changed. It's a light proof box with a lens on one end and a light sensitive medium on the other. The laws
    and physics of light haven't changed, so in terms of producing compelling images that communicate strongly to
    their viewers, surely someone who began with digital has just as much chance as someone who started with film.
    The light and compositional guidelines are the same in both cases, even if there are differences the tangible
    qualities of the medium.

Regards,

Peter

49. @ Andrew -- I certainly will not waste any more bandwidth with another Film vs. Digital debate...They are pointless... and you are certainly welcome to stand by your OPINION ' cause that's all it really is... there nothing factual about it. Furthermore I think the above post by Peter is the most eloquent response to that statement and I cannot do any better... So I shall leave it at that.

50. When I was a boy I collected every brochure I could find, Nikon Minolta Pentax Mamiya Vivitar Bogen et al and tons of companies that don't exist anymore. I could tell you every spec about, say, a Minolta's 3000i even though I never owned one and never would. It was so much fun. I always dreamed about having an Nikon F4 or FM2, now I dream of a D3... There is something about brochures that are great for enthusiasts, even though they are environmentally wasteful and prob not worth Nikon's $.

Ofer

51. I never buy a product just because its brochure was nicely printed in bright colors. Most of the people do research online and then go out and buy a product, especially like D700. For some, brochures are collector's item. My kids used to collect comics too. Most of my (non-commercial) digital pictures are never printed. They just sit nicely on my computers,PS3 and few internet sites, for display to different audience.

52. And also (before I forget). I really find the statement "More Paper = More Trees" very funny. Most people think otherwise.

53. Most people would be wrong then, Cap'n. They're probably associating paper production with clear-cutting rain
    forests. It doesn't work that way. Trees used for paper production are farmed like any crop. The More Paper =
    Less Trees statement was funny, tho'.

The tangibility factor is unlikely to go away any time soon. Many people want something they can hold in their
    hands and mull over. Product brochures, catalogs and magazine features like the year-end camera roundup Modern
    Photography once ran every December appeal to the fetishist in some of us.

If people were truly satisfied with only electronic equivalents, many of you would not own a camera. Instead,
    you'd use Google Earth and make screen captures. Who needs a camera? Face it, you want a camera because it's
    tangible, something you hold and can use to fuel your own imagination and illusory images. It's all part of the
    same thing.

54. After getting the D90 here in Toronto, I emailed Nikon Canada and told them that I already had the camera and would like a
    colour brochure ( so they knew the sale had already been made). They sent it to me right away. cb :)

55. Paper?

Try the Leica forum for has been companies.

56. They are all here ... in full colors ...

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/brochure/index.htm#04