Nikon to stop selling Parts, Petition

mark_fortin

<p><a href="http://www.change.org/petitions/nikon-inc-keep-selling-repair-parts-in-the-usa-as-they-have-always-done" target="_blank">http://www.change.org/petitions/nikon-inc-keep-selling-repair-parts-in-the-usa-as-they-have-always-done</a><br>

Please read our Petition. This is anti trade , anti business. This will kill the used market/trade ins.<br>

Can you image , having to send your Nikon DSLR in for a Battery door. It will cost $$$$.<br>

It will also take several weeks.<br>

This policy is wrong and Nikon users will find out -if nothing is done to change Nikons policy.</p>

<p><br /> </p>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>A 1-post user? I highly doubt that this will kill the used market as you claim. I can see both sides of this debate. First, I've always sent my gear directly to Nikon, and it has never been a hassle and has never had excessive costs associated with it. On the other hand, they've always been surprisingly reasonable. A complete rebuild of my D200 last fall, from grip to LCD to shutter, cost me $250, and they also cleaned the camera while it was there. It got back to me fast. A battery door is a removable part; it isn't something that will be made unavailable. You might as well claim that Nikon will require you to send the camera in to have them change lenses. Considering the complexity of cameras and lenses today, this makes sense. For example, if someone drops their lens and breaks the mount, today they can buy a replacement lens mount. However, did the shop also take the time to adjust the barrel and the elements inside the lens? Do they even have the equipment to do so? So now, there is an inferior Nikon lens floating around, perhaps getting sold to some unsuspecting buyer. I see Nikon's decision as forcing only capable shops to be allowed to use their parts. Not willing to jump through Nikon's hoops to show that you are willing to thoroughly repair a Nikon? I don't want you touching my camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A battery door is a removable part; it isn't something that will be made unavailable</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A battery door is considered a part and is only available through the parts dept. There are many great repair shops who can do the repairs you mentioned, but don't have the cash to invest $160,000 to be part of the Nikon inner circle. Camera repair is not a get rich quick profession. You are doing an injustice to the many fine repair shops by saying that "they are not willing to jump through Nikon's hoops".</p>

<p>I once made the mistake of buying the second (plasticky) version of 70-210mm AF Nikkor zoom. Apart from the optics being below-par, the zoom "trombone" started to slip after a few weeks use. It was returned to Nikon UK for repair. After a lengthy delay it was returned, and sure enough the zoom ring was a bit tighter - for a while. After another couple of weeks it became loose again and started to slip. I couldn't be without the lens for another age while Nikon UK took their time over a further repair, and decided to investigate the cause of the problem. Removing the zoom ring wasn't at all difficult once I'd found the way in - the work of minutes. It turned out that Nikon's previous "repair" consisted of packing out the felt-like friction material with a strip of paper and a dab of glue!</p>

<p>So. Make of that anecdote what you will, but my opinion of Nikon UK's repair department has never been very high since that experience.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My experience with Nikon USA service has ranged from excellent to mediocre. And, if anecdotes from worldwide customers are any indication, Nikon distributors overall have been inconsistent and sometimes indifferent regarding repairs to flaws admitted to by Nikon. For that reason alone I'd support free market competition and access to parts.</p>

<p>In 2006 my D2H needed warranty work right at the end of the one year warranty. Nikon USA handled it quickly and mostly satisfactorily with no charge. They repaired the major problem but neglected to remap out a single stuck pixel. No big deal. Communication overall was satisfactory. They explained what needed to be fixed and kept me informed.</p>

<p>In 2011 <a href="00ZTxC">my experience was completely different</a>. The $420 repair quote seemed excessive, Nikon USA never explained what exactly needed to be repaired or replaced to justify that expense, and communication overall was poor. That left me with a significantly worse impression of Nikon USA's service than my 2006 experience.</p>

<p>I've kept sending my Nikon kit to Nikon UK, but mostly because I work near them. I've not been very impressed that they reported by D700's sensor is (slightly) scratched, given that they're the only people ever to have cleaned it. I do have a one-ring 80-200 that I might take to a third party, because I imagine that Nikon UK will charge me quite a bit to fix it (given that it only cost me 300 quid and it's currently a paperweight). I ought to do something about my 135 f/2, though...<br />

<br />

Anyway, I sympathise. There's something to be said for supporting the conveniently local camera repair industry. I hope Nikon UK don't go this route. (They've enough bad press with the D800 and D4 price rises.)</p>

<p>I used to repair Nikons at an independent Nikon-only shop.</p>

<p>We bought all our parts from Nikon USA. I can see how filling many small orders could be a hassle<br>

for them, but that's part of supporting their product and building customer confidence in it.</p>

<p>I'll sign the petition.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>This policy is totally unacceptable. Nikon makes excellent photographic equipment. But if this is how they are going to do business I for one will be all done with them. I am a film user and they have no acceptable film cameras sill available other than the F6.(out of my price range) I understand that film is now not mainstream and they are not going to make what wont sell. But the no parts deal will force any non authorized camera repair centers either out of business or away from any Nikon service. So that means it would be extremely difficult to get any out of production Nikon film slrs repaired. Let alone what if I need small parts for an in production camera. I am interested in a digital camera purchase to use for color capture. But if Nikon kills the chance of repair on there out of production film slrs and makes parts unavailable for in production cameras. I for one will jump ship when that purchase is made. They are good but must remember they are not the only camera manufacture out there. This is bad policy and going to make people think about the big C instead. Petition signed.</p>

<p>This is the third thread on this topic in as many months:</p>

<ol>

<li>The first one was started by Henry Posner from B&H: <a href="00ZsoC">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ZsoC</a></li>

<li><a href="00a38V">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00a38V</a></li>

</ol>

<p>As Henry points out, I too believe this is Nikon USA's attempt to discourage gray-market imports, as Nikon USA has been trying to scare people that there is no way to get those items repaired. Essentially, this policy hurts gray-market importers such as B&H and the small independent repair shops. That is exactly why those people are complaining.</p>

<p>It may well be an attempt to discourage gray-market imports. But that’s not all of the picture. In the process its also going to hurt its customers. They already don’t service gray-market products. So now they want to dampen service for out of production products they make no replacement for. Yep, its ok folks, everything’s alright, just keep moving people, nothing to see here. Its not good for a Nikon customer to have to send in there camera for small self replacement parts. To have to wait longer and go through hoops to have it fixed. To be told that model can no longer be serviced even if you are paying for the repair and its NOT gray market. If Nikon doesn’t want to fix it, we need small independent repair shops. I have been a loyal Nikon user but Canon has to be laughing this one up.</p>

<p>How does the situation stand with Nikon sending out repair parts themselves? I had a very nice experience a couple of years ago when I got through to the Nikon 'pro' team in the UK because I wanted some parts for my F5. Amazingly they said they had the parts there - and would send them for a small fee. I really enjoyed taling to them. They were minor internal parts too - but as a repair tech I knew what I could do (they were the film canister clamp and the fixing screw).</p>

<p>But the normal Nikon consumer line in contrast was very poor indeed - like speaking to robots who did not know what Nikon made.</p>

<p>Craig, who DOES still make autofocus 35mm film SLRs? Canon makes one, but theirs is almost as expensive at $1,700 for a film body. Realistically, the only ones who deal in film photo today are the rangefinder companies: Voigtlander Cosina, Zeiss Ikon, Leica. If you want an autofocus SLR, far and away your best bet is to buy used, something from just before the DSLR revolution. Nikon at least still makes the FM10, unlike its competitors who don't really make anything cheap, although Vivitar makes a K-mount compatible intro-level camera. Out of production cameras like the F or F2 aren't going to be affected by this edict, as parts won't be available for them anyway, so you'll lose nothing by going to a third-party repair shop. Cameras like the N90s, F4, and F5 will, but as I mentioned before, Nikon service in my experience has been just fine and reasonably priced. Digital cameras for the most part won't be affected. Nikon will rebuild the D1 or D100 today for you for about $250, which means going through the whole camera and cleaning or replacing parts to bring it back to off-the-assembly-line condition, although honestly those cameras are barely worth investing in, as there have been such great technological advances in digital photography since those cameras existed. Heck, my D200 was barely worth sending in, but I decided that I couldn't get a comparable camera for $250, and it's only slightly obsolete; at the low ISOs that I shoot, it is still reasonably competitive against the D300.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If you want an autofocus SLR, far and away your best bet is to buy used..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's irrelevant to the concerns of most Nikon customers for the past 10 years.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Nikon will rebuild the D1 or D100 today for you for about $250..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Does Nikon USA specify that anywhere? They quoted me a price of over $400 to repair a functional but glitchy D2H and wouldn't even specify exactly what repairs or replacements needed to be done.</p>

<p>Direct, effective communication with customers is one area where repair shops other than Nikon USA can excel. Every independent repair tech I've dealt with would clearly communicate what type of work needed to be done, which parts needed to be replaced and how much it would cost. In my experience Nikon USA has been, at best, impersonal although effective - several years ago. Since then they've become impersonal and ineffective in communication.</p>

<p> When buying used you might purchase a gray market camera without knowing. If you do it cannot be repaired or serviced because Nikon will not service it and the small shops are shut out.. As far as I am concerned the used market is dead. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>When buying used you might purchase a gray market camera without knowing. If you do it cannot be repaired or serviced because Nikon will not service it and the small shops are shut out.. As far as I am concerned the used market is dead.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ross, that is not the case at all.</p>

<p>First of all, if you buy used, you can ask the seller to provide proof of origin. E.g. I have the original Nikon USA warranty card for all of my Nikon USA lenses, but of course not everybody keeps records that way.</p>

<p>And sometimes I buy gray-market products on purpose. In that case I can still have them repaired by the authorized repair shops, as I did in 2005: <a href="00BxJs">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00BxJs</a><br>

There are still quite a few of those around, outside of Nikon USA. E.g. Authorized Photo Service in Chicago that I used in that 2005 case is highly recommended by members here.</p>

<p>Nikon's new policy really hurts those small one-man, mom-and-pop type small repair shops. Again, that is why they are complaining.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon's new policy really hurts those small one-man, mom-and-pop type small repair shops. Again, that is why they are complaining.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And why shouldn't they complain?</p>

<p>They're legitimate businesses, paying salaries and taxes like everybody else.</p>

<p>Nikon has absolutely no right to refuse parts sales to any customer.<br>

They're just trying to create a monopoly to which they have no right in the first place.</p>

<p>What would happen if auto makes refused to sell body parts to independent body shops?</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Ariel, yes that was kind of my thought, no one does make a decent 35mm slr that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Then I looked at B&H and there is F100s at $700.00 but wait its gray market Nikon wont fix that if it breaks. Yes there is the FM10 but its not made by Nikon its made by Cosina with a Nikon badge and not well made, hate to see were one ends up when it breaks.<br>

I do use an F5 and I’m quite happy with it.<br>

My point is not to slam Nikon cameras. The problem is that with no parts sold to non authorized or third-party repair shops. When small shops can no longer get Nikon parts they will stop working on Nikon cameras period whether parts come from Nikon or not it will become non feasible to fix that brand period. Nikon wont want anything to do with my F5.<br>

So my point is that the no parts from Nikon is not just a gray market issue.<br>

I am glad that you have had Good experience with Nikon<br>

customer service. I myself have never used it, others have stated things not going so well, who knows.<br>

Just tying to keep using film in a in a digitally dictated world.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon has absolutely no right to refuse parts sales to any customer.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is utterly incorrect. Nikon can sell, or not sell, to whomever they like. It's called a free market.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They're just trying to create a monopoly to which they have no right in the first place.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's just silly. How can Nikon possibly have a monopoly with the likes of Canon, Pentax, Sony, Mamiya, etc., etc., etc. around?</p>

<p>Agreed, Dan. Even if it's determined to be *technically* in violation of some trade laws, Nikon is within their rights in terms of ownership of intellectual property. Whether it's good business sense remains to be seen. I suspect this sort of policy will merely result in counterfeiting - which is also a manifestation of the free market - and further complications. Eventually Nikon will recognize the error of this policy and bend to free market forces.</p>

<p>Lex, I just know from experience. Replacing a faulty shutter is repair rank B2. On your D2, I guess you can expect a higher price, since it's such a more complicated camera to open up, and parts like the shutter are much heavier duty than my D200. Considering the number of parts in a D2H, I'd bet that they just replace at least a few circuit boards and random parts; I'm not sure the list would be overall meaningful. They have service repair ranks, as in "minor problem, few parts replaced" or "major parts replaced." In addition, since the repair carries a warranty, they replace other parts as well, so that includes any worn mechanical parts for good measure, plus cleaning. For example, they replaced my bent aperture tab while it was there (I didn't even know it wasn't straight) and the LCD cover, as I mentioned, although I didn't notice any scratches on it. They seem to be of the mindset that if they fix it, they fix it as best they can to 100%. The bottom of my camera is a bit worn and scratched, and they didn't replace the magnesium shell to make it absolutely as-new, but I like the worn look anyway, so I'm not bothered. When they open your D2H, there's a good chance they'll replace more than they'd quote you at the beginning anyway. Plus, there are alignments and cleaning that needs to be done when piecing the camera back together, and I'd bet that Nikon would like control over that.</p>

<p>Leigh, Nikon has every right to control the quality of repair. The automotive comparison was made in the previous threads that Shun linked.</p>

<p>Craig, as Shun said, Nikon authorized repair shops will still work on gray market equipment. Also, Cosina is a just-fine company. Anything Voigtlander-branded from the last 15 years is made by them, as is all of the 35mm Zeiss glass. If Carl Zeiss trusts Cosina to make their products, then I feel I can too, without hesitation. Which doesn't matter, because as Shun said, for much less than a new F100s, you could buy a used F100s, as most photographers keep the box and papers that prove it's a USA product. Heck, you could buy a used one and have it Nikon refurbished for less than $700! Plus, they're doing more than any other camera company. I don't even see any Minolta/Sony film cameras listed, or Pentax. Canon's EOS 1 camera is listed, but isn't in stock. Independent repair shops still exist, I think people aren't getting that part of the story. I can personally vouch for C.R.I.S. and it looks like Shun can vouch for another in his linked thread. I'm sure that a little creative google searching, plus a cursory checking out the larger general photo forums (here, POTN, DPReview, etc) plus Yelp would give a great recommendation for most of these shops, if not all:<br>

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Leigh, Nikon has every right to control the quality of repair.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But Ariel, that's not what they're doing.</p>

<p>It's my camera, and I have the exclusive right to determine what quality of workmanship and<br>

parts I wish to rely on for its repair.</p>

<p>I worked for a Nikon-only service shop. Our quality of repair was far higher than that of NUSA.<br /> We never had a single recall that I was aware of.</p>

<p>What we did not do was purchase all the ridiculously over-priced specialized test equipment<br /> that performed its function worse than general-purpose test gear.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ross, that is not the case at all.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suppose from the right party you might receive proof of origin. However I usually buy from KEH.com and they have never provided any historical ducuments on the products so far. I have never asked but they are buying the products used also so I doubt they have that information.</p>

<p>Ross, a lot of recent Nikon USA lenses have the "US" prefix before the serial number. Those are very easy to determine that they are Nikon USA lenses. Otherwise, if the seller cannot provide proof that an item is Nikon US, it is up to your judgement to buy it or not.</p>

<p>As I pointed out, sometimes I buy gray-market on purpose due to the savings. And I have no trouble getting those items fixed. Just like Nikon cameras and lenses sold in the US do not have to come through Nikon USA, so are parts. There are and continue will be alternative sources for parts.</p>