Nikon to Conon EOS Lens Adapter

Bill Blackwell Images

<p>I am an avid long-time Leica M user, but I’ve been pondering getting into a Nikon full frame DSLR. I have been patiently anticipating the Nikon’s replacement of the D700 (which has itself been scarce in recent months) rumored for about a year now. </p>

<p>I’ve been thinking about the Conon D5 Mk ii as an alternative and using Nikon to Canon EOS lens mount adapters - because everyone knows Nikon optics are far and away better than Canon’s. As I understand it, some of these adapters permanently replace the Nikon mount.</p>

<p>I have two questions –<br>

Which of these 'replacement' mounts works best? and<br>

Does it provide for full stop-down metering and/or otherwise provide full function on the Canon body?</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p> because everyone knows Nikon optics are far and away better than Canon’s</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is news to me. If that is your motivation to use Nikon lenses on the EOS 5D Mark II, I am afraid that you are off the wrong track.</p>

<p>The D700 is a fine DSLR and I would imagine the next generation is merely months away; in fact I am a bit surprised that the D700 has not been replaced yet, but who known how much effect the March earthquake has. However, if you intend to use the 5D Mark II, I would get Canon lenses. Like Nikon, Canon also makes lots of excellent lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That is news to me. If that is your motivation to use Nikon lenses on the EOS 5D Mark II, I am afraid that you are off the wrong track.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since I posted in the Nikon forum this was intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. However, I have read dozens of lens reviews indicating Nikon optic superiority over Canon. PN’s own Canon forum has user postings noting disappointing results in certain Canon prime lenses.</p>

– Yogi Berra

<p>Plenty of Nikon's current so called "prime" lenses are designed from 20, 30 years ago. A lot of them do not work well on modern DSLRs. Today, the excellent lenses are mostly newer lenses; most of those are zooms and some of them are very expensive fixed-focal-length lenses. What is common among the new lenses is that they are all G. I am sure you will have a lot of "fun" controlling the aperture on your Canon body. I assume you don't mind not having AF and VR.</p>

<p>The change is not permanent. All you require is a simple mechanical a dapter to use Nikon lenses on a Canon EOS body. In fact you can use many non-Canon EF lenses on EOS bodies. I have used many Nikon lenses and also a Contax/Zeiss as well. I know you can use Leica R, and Olympus as well, and I believe Pentax and Minolta MD. Do some research and there may be a way to mount your Leica M lenses as well.</p>

<p>You have to use the lens using the stopped-down metering method and the Canon body will meter with the lens. Manual focus only but if you spend the extra money on the chipped adapters you can get focus confirmation from the Canon body.</p>

<p>Some Nikon lenses, like the 8/2.8 that I use on a 1Ds, require some filing down of the non-required big bits sticking out of the back of the lens, in order to mount it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is common among the new lenses is that they are all G. I am sure you will have a lot of "fun" controlling the aperture on your Canon body. I assume you don't mind not having AF and VR.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

It is clear to me you believe the idea of the superiority of Nikon optics is erroneous. It is also clear to me you are steering me away from combining the two systems. For now, I will accept your notion that Canon optics are more than 'acceptable.'<br>

<br>

However, I'm not familiar enough with either system to otherwise follow you. ... Are saying these Nikon to Canon adapters do not allow for AF or VR on (modern) Nikon DSLR lenses (this was one of my questions)? <br>

<br>

And what is "G"?</p>

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p>The change is not permanent. All you require is a simple mechanical a dapter to use Nikon lenses on a Canon EOS body. In fact you can use many non-Canon EF lenses on EOS bodies. I have used many Nikon lenses and also a Contax/Zeiss as well. I know you can use Leica R, and Olympus as well, and I believe Pentax and Minolta MD. ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks, John. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do some research and there may be a way to mount your Leica M lenses as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It would be nice, but I seriously doubt it. The Leica M mount is far too close to the film plane to allow for adaptability to any SLR and properly focus to infinity.</p>

– Yogi Berra

<p>Dunno whose lenses are in fact better, although I'd be inclined to think there's no across the board answer (I'm a Nikon guy myself--but I got into that a while back because of the durability of the film bodies, and the nearly-universal lens/camera compatibility of the line rather than for any perceived lens superiority).</p>

<p>I do know that over here in London, I have run into several people who own the 5D or 7D and use them extensively for video, and who use Nikon manual-focus lenses with adapters on the front of the camera. Their stated reason was that *they* felt that Nikon lenses produced a better image. I didn't go into detail with them over precisely which aspects of the image they found more pleasing.</p>

<p>One evening I even had a young fellow who was with a crew borrowing my studio for a video shoot/interview and who was using the Canon 50/1.4. For some reason, he had an adapter with him, so I loaned him my old Nikon 28/F2. He couldn't stop raving about the quality he was getting from it.</p>

<p>Personally, I'm not convinced either way, just offering a bit of anecdotal information to the OP. And as I don't do much video, I really can't see the point of dealing with the incompatibilities between Nikon lenses and Canon bodies for still photography, when there's probably not *that* much difference in quality between the manufacturers' lenses--if any at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have read dozens of lens reviews indicating Nikon optic superiority over Canon</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm guessing on the Nikon forums, right? LOL</p>

<p>If you want to use Nikon lenses, then get a Nikon body.<br>

Of course, if you have a large collection of old pre-AI lenses, then you do want a Canon. ;)</p>

<p>Or were you thinking of Conan the Barbarian or Conan the O'Brien?</p>

<p>Don't you love it when people base all their knowledge on what they have heard or read on the internet? There are so many wrong assumptions in the OP!</p>

<p>Adapters are NOT permanent. You will lose all auto functions with adapters - manual focus, manual aperture control, stop down metering, etc, etc.</p>

<p>I assume the reason so many pros use Canon is because their lenses are so inferior to Nikons? Right - that must be it!</p>

<p>I am not bashing Nikon btw, but the OP is just ridiculous.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I assume the reason so many pros use Canon is because their lenses are so inferior to Nikons? Right - that must be it! I am not bashing Nikon btw, but the OP is just ridiculous.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Any misinformation I may have picked up (and posted here) notwithstanding, I am currently neither a Canon nor a Nikon user (I have a long history with Leica) - so I simply don't know. It's prickly answers like this that undo any real usefulness to these forums. </p>

<p>I regret wasting my time - and yours.</p>

– Yogi Berra

<blockquote>

<p>I am not bashing Nikon btw, but the OP is just ridiculous</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I remember a time, it doesn't seem that long ago, I too was ridiculous. But I found a group of people that knew more than me that were kind and generous in sharing their knowledge. Although I was an easy target for sarcasm and ridicule they treated me with respect and embraced me into their group. I'll never forget that kindness. </p>

<p>Bill -as far as using Leica M lenses on current Canon bodies - there are several you can use and achieve infinity focus, but understand that they are few and far between. The list boils down to M lenses designed to be used in conjunction with a Leica Visoflex. My recollection is that the shortest focal length is the 65mm, followed by several 90mms (only the ones with removable heads from their focusing RF mounts), the 135mm ones which remove from their RF focusing mounts, and of course the 400mm and 560mm Telyts. All require specific adapters, etc. I've used most of them on Nikon DSLRs over the years, as well as several other mounts, including the Canon FD systems. If you want a list and specs, e-mail me and I have a couple of charts I'll be glad to send you.<br>

I've never used my Nikon lenses on current Canon bodies. Like others indicated, too much of the functionality is lost.</p>

<p>Bill,<br>

Coming from Leica I'm sure you feel like your taking a step down to either Canon or Nikon ;).<br>

I am with Shun Cheung here, if you get a 5DmkII, get Canon lenses, unless you like ultra wides in which case I highly recommend the 14-24mm, even on a Canon body because there is no lens like it from either Canon or Nikon, its in a class all of its own, and because its ultra wide angle you wont' have to worry too much about focusing it. As far as adapters are concerned, you will find it really annoying to change F/stop, especially on Nikon G lenses with you will have to buy an extra expensive adapter and have no way of knowing where its F/stop set. Once you have it set, I found that the Shutter priority mode (can't remember what it was called on my 7D), works fine, but the focus can be hit and miss and its very frustrating in any kind of fast paced environment to have no in camera information from the lens (which I'm not aware of any adapter that will provide one). I also felt that most of the adapters I had never quite fit properly, and I know several people that felt the same way, frustrating. I speak from the experience of many filmmakers that use 5DmkIIs for filmmaking with manual Nikon primes or Olympus manual focus primes (it was my job to change lenses along with the adapter rings on many a set, so I can tell you, its a real hassle unless you have adapters for all your lenses, and if they are Nikon G lenses the adapters are like $100!)<br>

If you have an interest, I've had extensive experience with almost all of Nikon and Canon's high end pro grade F/2.8 zooms and F/1.4 primes (with few exceptions), so I thought you would might like to hear how they line up in general.<br>

On the wide side, Nikon has a superior advantage. Namely their 14-24mm is so good, there is nothing in its class, either by Nikon or Canon, its as though Nikon figured out a way to defy the laws of physics to make this lens. In general Nikon's pro wide zooms and F/1.4 primes are a step or two ahead of their Canon counter parts. I am referring to Full Frame pro lenses here, Nikon's DX offerings are not overly impressive except the 35mm F/1.8 and about the same as Canon and both companies have reasonable to excellent slow primes. This issue was one of the primary reasons I switched, because going through all of Canon's pro wide angle offerings was just disappointment after disappointment for me (I'm sure all the Canon wide angle users will give me hell, but I just call them the way I see them).<br>

In the middle, I'm not a fan of either companies 50s, I'm disappointed that both companies can make 24mm F/1.4s and 85mm F/1.4/1.2 lenses that are usable sharp on contrasty wide open, but 50s on both sides are weak wide open, and I really want to shoot there. I've heard Nikon's 50 F/1.2 is impressive but its manual focus and I've never used it, its still weak wide open, but its sharpens up fast, and is a stop superior to all other 50s till about F/5.6. I prefer Nikon's 24-70 over Canon's. I feel that the Canon is weak at 2.8, and has many issues that I would not expect to find in a pro 2.8 zoom. Nikon's is simply stellar with a few issues, but over all very impressive.<br>

Canon has slightly better Tele zooms, the 70-200 F/2.8 II being a stand out (if you are worried about image quality pass on the mkI because its weak wide open). The mkII though is extremely impressive and is almost as good as Nikon's 14-24mm on the tele side. Nikon's 70-200 is very impressive, but its not up to the Canon's stunning levels. Both companies have excellent tele primes, although Nikon's lineup has very dated AF systems, but still very impressive glass. It should be noted that the 105mm & 135mm F/2s have the DC feature, which is a Nikon only feature, but its very complex, subtle and easy to mess up causing soft images if you don't know what you are doing (one can simply leave it on neutral).<br>

As far as pro super tele's go both companies make amazing exotic lenses and I would not be concerned with using either, they both offer extremely outstanding super tele lineups, any differences is like saying your 230mph Lamborghini can go 2 miles faster than my 228mph Ferrari. At such extreme optical qualities little differences aren't of significant enough to concern.</p>

<p>One final note, I prefer Nikon lenses because they have a certain look. Its a natural organic look, that I personally find appealing. Dealing with the Canon lenses I feel like they are just trying to get the best color transmission and aren't really going for any particular "look". Which is something I find true for the bodies as well, it seems like my Nikon's are trying to get "true" colors while the Canons are just trying to get color and tons of it. This is of course a total matter of preference. Also in general Canon IS systems tend to be a stop better than advertised while Nikon's tend to be a stop slower than advertised. On the flip side Nikon bodies usually live up to their highest non-high mode ISO setting, while I find that Canons are generally very weak at their highest ISOs and I usually try to keep them a stop or two under their ISO ceiling. Canons undoubtedly have faster AF, but with the exception of the 1DmkIV, they are generally "sloppy" (it should be noted I prefer fast primes, and on the middle to wide end, I always found my Canon lenses to be inconsistent, rarely "nailing" focus wide open even in good light, while the 85mm F/1.2 was dead on, albeit pretty slow). Nikon's are slower but in generally they hit their mark dead on 9 out of 10 times. Of course their 70-200 is pretty fast & accurate, as are their super teles, I'm referring to Nikon's fast primes here, and in general they have slower AF systems.</p>

<p>I hope you enjoyed my lecture, I hope that I was able to give you an idea of what your up against. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.</p>

<p>All of that being said, I am very bias, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've seen amazing pictures taken with Canon lenses and bodies, I don't put them down, I simply found that Nikon's system and lenses matches my style of shooting while Canon's systems and lenses where in general counter productive to the way I shoot, so I am now and probably forever a Nikon shooter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Plenty of Nikon's current so called "prime" lenses are designed from 20, 30 years ago. A lot of them do not work well on modern DSLRs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ironically Shun Cheung, the exact opposite is the reason I switched to Nikon, because I primarily shoot the 24, 35, and 85mm F/1.4 primes, all of which are within 2 years old, and I switched because I had the Canon equivalent and I felt the primes, especially the 24 & 35mm were old and I had all kinds of issues and inconsistances that made me switch. My Nikon's aren't perfect and I still have great respect for Canon's 85mm F/1.2, but I find they a much more up to date lens than Canon's current fast prime lineup.<br>

I also want to point out that Nikon has so many legendary lenses, they don't need a refresher (except AF systems). Example, the 28mm F/2.8 AIs. Yes its manual focus, its also the sharpest, most impressive wide angle lens I've ever used, and despite being 30 years old, it puts every other wide angle in its range to shame, Nikon or Canon. I shot it against my 24mm F/1.4II and my heavily used, modified, 15 year old, $200 28mm F/2.8 using a rinky dink adapter on a my 7D but even still it was superior to a brand spanking new $1600 24mm F/1.4II in every way, color transmission, center sharpness, corner sharpness, distortion, contrast, and that was with the 24mm stopped down F/2.8 and the 28mm wide open at F/2.8. Its also still sold brand new today, after 30 years of continuous sell. To be fair I also shot it against Nikon's brand new 24mm F/1.4 and the 28mm F/2.8 was also superior there as well, it even focuses closer than either 24mm F/1.4 versions. Sadly the AF version doesn't have the same optics. Admittedly there are many relics in the line up, but here is another example, the 180mm F/2.8 was originally developed by of all people Hitler. Leni Riefenstahl was shooting the Olympics in Berlin in 1936 for Hitler, with whom she was close, and she requested a long fast lens so Hitler had this lens custom made just for her. Later Nikon bought the patent and made several modifications. The reason this lens has endured so long is it has a very unique contrast reproduction, more unique than any other lens I've ever seen. Does it make it worth shooting around its ancient AF system? That depends on the shooter, but I can tell you this, you can't get its subtle look in Photoshop, its an organic thing unique to that lens. Finally, Nikon's 200mm F/4 maybe getting ready for its 19th birthday, its AF is so slow, I time my hour glass by it, but its one of the sharpest, unique pieces of glass I've ever used. There isn't anything quite like it, and I prefer it over all the other macros I've used. Could it use a refresher and get AF & VR. Sure, that would be nice. However as I may point out, in the case of a macro lens, because of its F/stop ring, and its huge, lovely focus ring, I like shooting manual focus macro on a the Nikon 200mm F/4 on a Canon camera more than Canon's own macros.<br>

Older than dirt? Yes. Doesn't work so well with modern cameras? Sometimes. Legendary optical quality still unparallelled 30 years later? Definitely!<br>

Both camera makers have relics that need refreshing, but both still sell those relics because photographers still make great pictures with them.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6778545">Skyler Proctor</a>, you did not quote the rest of my original post where I addressed the better and newer Nikon lenses such as the three f1.4 AF-S lenses: 24mm, 35mm, and 85mm. The problem with those lenses is that they are all G lenses without an aperture ring. Using Nikon G lenses on a Canon body is super inconvenient to say the least. The 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S also falls in the same category.</p>

<p>If people like those lenses, by all means get a Nikon body and use them. Using them on a Canon body is, IMO, not a wise move, although some people still do that.</p>

<p>Shun Cheung,<br>

Oh I am sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to their new lenses, I thought you were referring to their G lenses in general. I agree, using Nikon lenses on Canon for most work is not the best move in the book. It does of course heavily depend on <em>what</em> you are shooting. If you are shooting landscape from a tripod and want the best possible wide angle, then the 14-24mm serves that purpose very well. One can purchase a special adapter ring from Amazon for around $100 that adds the aperture ring back to the 14-24 (or any G lenses), allowing you to at least alter the aperture. When I used manual Nikon lenses on my 7D, it did meter, so I didn't have to guess at exposure. With super wide angles like the 14-24mm focus isn't a huge issue, especially at 14mm, so even though I wouldn't recommend using Nikon on Canon, it would be a noteworthy exception for certain types of photography.</p>

<p>Bill: The Eos to Nikon G adapter is a mechanical fudge. All that it does is to couple a control arm to the aperture stop-down lever of a Nikon G lens to hold it open at (approximately) the desired stop. You still have to use stop-down metering and manual focus, as well as pay extra to get the focus confirmation function.</p>

<p>I have an Eos 5D MK1 and a D700. So from personal experience I can tell you that use of Nikon or any other non-Canon lenses on an Eos is a total pain and hardly worth the trouble. You lose any automation, and viewing, focusing and composing the image at working aperture is no fun at all. The only Nikon lenses that adapt to the Eos reasonably well, IMHO, are the older PC-Nikkors that only have a preset diaphram, or Reflex-Nikkors that don't stop down at all. Working with your lenses wide-open all the time might be another option!</p>

<p>Although you can get adapters to use other system lenses on an Eos, there are many restrictions, and some lenses will actually collide with the Canon mirror. Among these risky lenses are quite a few of the Pentax and Praktica wideangles and at least one Praktica standard lens. I doubt that any M series or 39mm screw-fit Leica lenses are useable with infinity focus.</p>

<p>I am using a Nikkor 28mm f 2.8 AI (yep, the one said to be inferior to the f2's and 2.8 AIS). The adapter is a Fotodiox, not the most expensive by a long shot. (<a href="http://www.leitax.com/">www.leitax.com</a> adapters are highly regarded and can be fitted with a chip). I like the 28 focal length, always have. I rarely drive myself nuts trying to focus a wideangle, but instead use hyperfocal settings. I don't care how the lens performs wide open, because I rarely use a wideangle wide open. The old lenses (Nikkor, Olympus OM, Leica R) have large, easily legible depth-of-field markings. The focus ring is nice and tight, and not easily knocked off the mark (unlike my Olympus 24). From what tests I have read (16-9.net, SLRlenstests, photozone.de), both Canon EF 28's are inferior to the old Nikkor manual focus 28's. If you can't tolerate barrel distortion, the 28 f 2.8 AIS is said to be about as distortion-free as 28's come. It's a crap shoot on these oldies (sample variation), but they can be had cheap, are light and discreetly small and, for me, worth the effort to find a good one.</p>

<p>Although I would not buy a lens by Nikon for the express purpose of putting it on a Canon EOS body, I do use two or three Nikon lenses on EOS bodies. I was fortunate a few years back to pick up the manual focus version of the Nikon 600mm f/4 for very little money. Unless one wants to use the 1.4X teleconverter (or whatever Canon calls theirs), the cheap Chinese adapters on eBay work well and do not cost very much. The attachment seems very secure, and I have left the adapter on the lens since I bought it. The same adapter works well with the manual focus Nikon 50mm f/1.2 as well. I bought one for each lens, since they are a bit of a pain to get off--and they do not cost much.</p>

<p>In general, though, I put Canon lenses on Canon bodies. (I did hedge my bets by buying the D90 with the kit lens. . . . One never knows what is coming down the pike.)</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Bill, if you want superb optics, stick with your Leica M. You may not find the IQ you have come to expect, with any small format SLR. Apart from the usual compromises you find with retrofocus lenses, Nikon have not paid as much attention to their prime lenses as they have to their zoom lenses. It is this very reason why some zooms will outperform a prime lens at an equivalent focal length. FWIW, I think the Canon mount is more versatile than the Nikon mount.</p>