Nikon to Canon lens mount converter

Hi,<br>

I know that Nikon to Canon lens mount converters exist, as I read

somewhere about people using them.<br>

I have a few old non-af prime Nikon lenses and I would like to use

them on my canon dslr.<br>

Is there anything particular I need to look at with those converters?

Do you use one? If yes what are your experiences with them? What brand

do you own/know about? Where can I find one (except eBay)? Any other

things I might want to know about before investing money in such a

converter?

<br><br>

Thanks for your input<br><i>Happy Shooting</>

I use many Nikon primes on my EOS body. I have two adapters, a $20 chrome-plated brass adapter from ebay, and a $89 stainless steel adapter from Fotodiox's pro line.

The brass adapter is made so cheaply that it broke after only a few days of light use. The spring just fell out and it couldn't be fixed. I had to return it to the seller, who ended up replacing it. The Fotodiox adapter, on the other hand, is worth every penny if you think you are going to frequently use different lenses with the adapter. Alternatively, you can buy 2 or 3 cheap apdaters for the price of one Fotodiox adapter and keep one on each of your Nikkors.

The professional Fotodiox adapter is $89 on their website, but they go for as low as $50-60 on auction.

Good luck!

the cheap ebay ones are typically too thin, which allows focus beyond infinity (better than the other way around). That's generally no problem with telephoto lenses, though some have reported weird results from normal and (especially) super wide angle lenses. Have a look at 16-9.net for some interesting reading.

The expensive ones are more likely the exact right thickness

Don't worry about getting one on eBay from jinfinance. Do a member search and you will find his adapters. They come from China but I had mine within a week and I think their current price is under $40 including quick shipping.

I have had mine for 18 months and frequently exchange it between Nikon 14/2.8, 50/1.4, 200/2 and 400/2.8. I have never had focusing problems or mechanical problems with it. For the first few months it was very stiff to take on and off but now that it is broken in, it is very easy to do and yet it still provides a very strong mount. Often when I use the 14 I will use the aperture guides to set the depth of field that I want. I have never seen incorrect focus while doing this at any aperture from f2.8 to f22.

I will eventually buy two more since taking it on and off the two big lenses is a pain especially when I am flipping between the two at a sporting event.

Jinfinance at ebay is now selling those nikon mount eos body adapters for just $9.99.

His also has the stop screw to keep you from over-rotating the lens/mount combo when removing it. Few adapters have the stop screw which keeps you from damaging the electrical contacts on your eos body.

Buy one adapter for each lens you own, then you'll never loose the little spring since you can leave each one attached to your nikkors.

Lindy

I have a Nikon F with four lenses, circa 1965. Isn't there some danger in using adapters on the EOS Canon lens mount? The Canon and Sigma lenses that I have slip on to that mount so easily , I would be afraid of damaging the contacts. Will follow this post. Roger

Roger:

Generally no danger. With the jinfinance adapter the Nikon lenses mount as smoothly as Canon lenses. I have mounted and unmounted my Nikon lenses at least 5 times a week for the last 6 months on the 10D, much less so on the Elan.

Now I said "generally" because I had to sell my Nikon 20mm f3.5 UD because the big chunk of metal on the back of it did not allow it to mount on my 10D. It would mount on my Canon Elan IIe no problem, but not the 10D. All non-AI, AI, and AIS lenses are supposed to mount, except of course those superwides that have to have mirror lock-up since they project into the camera body. Obviously this is not quite true and depends on how big that big chunk of metal on the rear of the mount is. My 400/2.8 is AIS, the 200/2 is AI, the 50/1.4 is AIS, and the 14/2.8 is AF D. I also use the TC-14B with no problems. Of course I have a couple of Canon EF lenses as well so I know that my camera still functions perfectly well with those too.

I'm baffled by this thread. Wouldn't any adapter push the lens too far out to

focus to infinity properly? I have several mid 1970s vintage non-AI Nikkor

lenses, the 24, 35, 50 and 105 primes. Using a good quality adapter, what

exactly will I be dealing with, on my 20D camera? I'll be totally manual on

focus and I would have to manually open the aperture and manually stop

down as well, correct? Superb optics but sounds like a real pain, not to

mention worrying about screwing up my 20D with this oddball gizmo. Any

advice from actual users would be welcome.

(continuing) On the Fotodiox website I found: Nikon Lens - Canon EOS

Mount Adapter (consumer grade) 04MTNEOS. The product is marked down

from $49.95 to $27.95 plus about $5 shipping. The MSRP is listed at $79.95.

Infinity focus is guaranteed. A chart shows compatibility with the 20D. Should

I be concerned about the "consumer grade" caveat. I couldn't find a similar

professional grade product on the site. It specifies neither stainless nor brass.

Again, any advice would be welcome.

(continuing) I phoned Fotodiox. They do offer a "professional grade" Nikon to

Canon EOS adapter. It sells for $89.95, and should be back in stock and on

the site in a few weeks. I was told it is stronger and more durable than the

consumer grade version, and recommended for anyone with longer, heavier

lenses or frequent changing of lenses. According to the gentleman I spoke

with, both products are anodized aluminum.