Nikon Ti vs. Contax TVS II, III and T3

caliber_60

I have a chance to play with a Nikon Ti 35mm in the camera show last

month. The Nikon Ti focuses faster than the Contax TVS II and III.

I was disappointed with the Contax T3 because it's focusing speed is

even lower than the TVSs. Nikon Ti feels like it focuses about the

same speed as a Contax G2 which I am very satisfy with. I am

thinking about adding a Nikon Ti in my collection. The one I saw at

the show asking $450. It's in mint condition but no box. Any

comment?

Are you referring to the Buena Park Camera Show last month, if you don't mind my asking, Caliber 60?

I have been shooting with my 35 Ti for many years now. It is one great, portable and excellent carry-anywhere camera. I have dropped mine a few times on the pavement, but still works. The lens is sharp. Except for the tiny fill flash button that sometimes is a hit-and-miss--it has served me well. The price is all about right. But try to negotiate, some dealers are willing to knock off 25 dollars discount. If you wait until the show is almost over, the better are your chances of a "better" discount.

You don't need the box for this camera. :-) Why do you need the box for? :-) Unless, you intend to sell it in the future. However, in my many years of experience frequenting camera shows--a good camera always sells without the box.

I highly recommend this camera, Caliber 60.

Louie Caracas

I have had a 35Ti in the past, and now have a T3. I prefer the T3, but not

because the Nikon is inferior. I like the smaller size of the T3, and I think both

lenses are very good. The Nikon had more manual control available, but the

tiny flash button on the front was very difficult for me to use. If you are happy

with the results with your T3, then you'll like the 35Ti as well. Very similar. In

my opinion, one thing you will need is the manual, or at least the card that

shows the custom function settings.

Are you referring to the Buena Park Camera Show last month, if you don't mind my asking, Caliber 60?

Yes, it's the Buena Park Camera show. I have bought some stuff there. The really good one are hard to come by. I will probably go there at the end of the show. I really don't want to wait because really good stuff will be gone in the first 30 minutes.

Two comments. Comparing the Nikon Ti with the Contax TVSII is like comparing apples and oranges. The Nikon is a fixed focal length, fast lens. The Contax is a zoom with smaller maximum aperture.

That said, I adore the TVSII. To me, it is the best point and shoot zoom camera on the market. I say this because the optical quality of the lens is to die for and the range of focal lengths includes a much wider short end than most point and shoots on the market. Add in the fact that it is indestructible build wise and you have one sensational point and shoot. Not knocking the Nikon, but I prefer the Contax.

Another point - avoid the TVS III. This camera, although more recent than the II which it replaces, has several drawbacks compared to the II. Go here and read my comparison which I posted several years ago and I think is still valid today. Scroll down to the last comment which is mine and I think you might find it useful

http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=2515

Finally, if you want to buy the Nikon, got to the used section on the B&H website and there are several excellent examples available there at fair prices. If you buy from B&H (as opposed to a camera show) you have the option to return it if you are dissatisfied.

Hope this helps.

I also had a 35Ti, sold it and got a T3 instead. The T3 actually feels flimsy compared to the rock-solid 35Ti (anything short of a F3 or Leica does), but has much better ergonomics, paradoxically for a smaller camera. The little flash override switches in the front of the 35TI are completely unusable, and the analog display is a design gimmick more than a practical solution.

The T3 is significantly cheaper, and fits unobtrusively in a jacket pocket. Not so for the 35Ti.

I love the permanent flash disable function on the T3, as well as the custom function to leave the film leader out after rewind. Both lenses are excellent, but I find the T3 sharper.

Probably the key advantage the 35Ti has, in addition to more robust construction, is the multi-segment matrix metering taken from the F90.

I sold my mint 35Ti on eBat for $330, I think $350-400 is fair market value, $450 is a bit much for this camera.