Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED mid-scan shutdown

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by doug_green|1, May 8, 2020.

1. I wondered whether anyone had seen this issue.

Its used with Vuescan, single slide adapter and Windows 10. I sold the scanner and the new user says it will do 4 or 5 scans ok then aborts mid-scan, with the green light extinguishing on the scanner. He can get it going again with power down and re-open Vuescan, but it fairly consistently fails after a few scans. Needless to say the scanner, although its probably heavily used over its life, did a few thousand scans problem-free for us (on Mac + Nikon scan, and Mac + Vuescan).

Therefore I suspect a conflict with some other software on his PC, or with other devices attached. I can't see it being a Vuescan setting.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Abort mid-scan followed by a 'lights-out' sounds more of a power management issue or overheating maybe?

Don't suppose it hits some kinda weird scratch-disc full issue and crashes?

Does it 'officially' crash with an error message of any kind?

3. How about just using Nikon Scan. I used to have LS-4000 and that's all I used. It came with the Digital Ice software. There are driver(s) that makes it compatible with Windows 7/10. Google.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    2Oceans and bgelfand like this.
  4. If the user has VueScan, NikonScan will use the VueScan drivers, Just install NikonScan for Vista (ns403en_vista.exe), but be sure NOT to select install drivers during the install process.

It runs just fine on my Windows 10 machine.

Mary Doo likes this.
  5. Could simply be your buyers' computer running out of RAM space. Newcomers to scanning sometimes just don't realise how much memory a high-resolution and high bit-depth image gobbles up.

Mary Doo and bgelfand like this.
  6. I suspect this is somewhere in the ball park. There used to be a lot of problems in graphic software with "overflow" in registers, etc. and such like.

Does the user have too little or too slow memory?

7. Mary, Thanks for this. I did no know I could return to NikonScan. When setting up my LS-4000 for a few projects and occasionally for fun over the last 10-11 years I have been using Vue Scan that I actually like. Vue Scan has infrared dust removal that works well but I would not mind going back to NikonScan and Digital Ice. I have been using Windows 10 since late 2015 and prior to that was using 7 for about 5 years and prior to that I used Vista for a brief period. Somewhere along the line I missed discovering that I could go back to NikonScan. I was just yesterday looking at the discs that came with my LS-4000 and like the pack rat that I am have held on to them for 5 moves over the 18-19 years I have owned the scanner. I am looking forward to giving it a shot. Along the way I have used this scanner to recover washed out slides of snow in San Diego for a friend and his children and a series of 300+ wonderful Kodachromes shot in Oahu in 1948 for my spouse’s side of the family. Every now and then its fun to go back to it, like going back in time, though digital has pretty much taken over for me. Thanks

Mary Doo likes this.
  8. That was quite a while ago. I have kept an old laptop that uses Vista just in case I would need it. But this actually became a moot point after someone borrowed it (with slide attachment and whatever) and it came back somewhat not in a neat package. I never used it since but it should be somewhere. The other day I did see some slides that I should have scanned.

9. The problem with running Nikon Scan under Windows 10 is the drivers that come with the Nikon Scan package. Nikon Scan will run using the VueScan drivers which are compatible with Windows 10.

To run Nikon Scan under Windows 10

1) Download Nikon Scan 4.03 from this link:
    LINK https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleno=000002646&configured=1&lang=en_US

2) Since you are using VueScan the proper drivers are installed on your system,

3) Install the Nikon Scan 4.03 package you downloaded in step 1. DO NOT install the drivers that are part of the installation process; there is selection to make during install.

My LS50 (Coolscan V runs perfectly under Windows 10). If this version of Nikon Scan supports your LS-4000, it should also.

2Oceans likes this.
  10. Thanks to All for the replies.

The user sounds quite computer-literate, likely more than I am, and I'm working on the basis that he's sincere and hasn't damaged it. I sent a link to a Youtube vid of enabling Windows 10 to run Nikon Scan, and he replied he'd already tried that with the same symptom. No error message has been mentioned, and the concept of filling up whatever storage location he's using, possibly with high re scans, occurred to me also. If it was a hardware issue, surely someone else would have experienced it.

I get the feeling I'm going to end up getting it back, hooking it up and finding it runs fine......

Thanks again

11. :( Scanners can be complicated, especially with the technologically challenged. I have a close relative who "loses" her images all the time and always thinks there is something wrong with her computer because it does inexplicable things. So she changed to a Mac because everyone told her that it's bug free. But the same thing happens and I cannot help her, especially not over the phone because I am not that mac literate. She is otherwise a smart person, actually a good photographer and an excellent painter, just does not like to deal with computers that much.

12. One other thing to try,

1) Cause the error
    2) Right-click on the Windows Start button
    3) In the dropdown box select "Event Viewer".
    4) In the left hand panel of Event Viewer expand the entry "Windows Logs"
    5) Click on "Application" and look for log entries that might pertain to the failure. If there are any entries for the problem, they can be quite cryptic, but it is a starting place.
    6) If there are no pertinent entries, click on "System" and look for possible entries.