Nikon strap is crap

gaurav_verma

<p>I just bought a D7000 and still trying to learn the Nikon way as I was a canon shooter.<br /><br /> One of things that really annoy me is the strap supplied with the camera. Its really small and frankly useless. Any suggestions for a good camera strap for Nikon D7000?<br /><br /> I had a look around and I am not convinced with the black rapid stuff as I don't want to screw/unscrew every time I want to use tripod.<br /><br /> Also can a canon 60d strap be used on D7000? Has anyone tried it earlier.<br /><br /> Thanks in advance</p>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><strong>Nikon strap is crap</strong><br>

When I bought my first Nikon I pretty much posted the same thing. I wondered why Nikon would make such a beautiful camera with a strap that we would hate.<br>

Of course Nikon wants to advertise their name, so why put it on a crappy strap that many photographers are going to replace with another brand? I thought when I bought a f D300 that I would certainly get a better strap but nope...same old crap.</p>

<p>Which Nikon strap is crap? Small and useless?</p>

<p>I wonder if the mentioned strap is the very same one, supplied with Nikon cameras since the sixties(?). I`m refering to that all black, narrow one which is one inch max. width only in the shoulder/neck area. Is this the strap you`re refering to?</p>

<p>If so, it`s not crap but <em>a very good one and highly demanded</em> by many Nikon users. There are <em>many</em> reasons to do so...</p>

<p>The D70 was my first Nikon, so I don't know about what they used in the the sixties. I just measured the strap on this and the D300 and they look to be the same. Around 1 1/4'' wide. The D300 has D300 printed on it. I still have the D70 but have not used it in a year or so. The strap on that one is very faded. I don't think I spent that much time in the sun. The positive on the straps....They never broke. Does Canon also use a crap strap? Here is the D300 strap- http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Straps/25379/AN-D300-Strap.html</p>

<p>The Op/Tech Pro Loop with the loop-through-loop > camera connector is great: no more playing with those fiddly (but very functional) length adjust/buckle thingies.</p>

<p>I too found the supplied Nikon straps thin they also tended to slip if worn over-shoulder. A D700+MB-D10+70-200mm VRII is a bit heavy for such a narrow strip.</p>

<p>I also never appreciated advertising the cost of what was around my neck or on a pub table, sure you could put a D60 strap on a D3 but that's kinda perverse!</p>

<p>when i buy a new camera, the nikon strap goes directly into a desk drawer and i put on an aftermarket strap that's wide and stretchy. a big camera with a grip and hefty lens needs more than the supplied strap -- which seems to be primarily a promotional item, and not really intended to be for day-in, day-out use.</p>

<p>I realise this is probably a redundant question, but what, in your mind, makes a camera strap "crap"? I mean, doesn't it hold your camera around you neck/ shoulder? Did it break? Slip? Ruined your clothes?<br>

I'm only asking because I've been using Nikon's since 2000 (had a Canon and Minoltas before) and I never thought to change the strap! It always held, it never broke, it folded the way it should in my bag, I could wash it without problems in the washing machine...</p>

<p>True, when I got my D700 I replaced the strap (with a generic Nikon one), not because I hated the one I got, but because I didnt want to be a target when walking around with a strap screaming "expensive camera". I have transfered that strap to my D3 ever since. I have travelled on horse, on camel even on elephant, I've ridden down rivers and flows on small aircraft with the doors open while shooting. Strap has held. Every time. It has not decapitated me, it has not ruined my camera and it holds fast on my shoulder whenever I put it there...</p>

<p>Have I gotten a Blackrapid strap? Sure. for my second D3 body, the one I use my 70-200 with, because due to the weight, I don't want to have to pay any attention to...</p>

<p>Anyway...</p>

<p>I guess I'm an oddball. I've always liked the traditional Nikon strap with the yellow name on it. I briefly used an Op-tech or whatever they are called, but I went back to the stock strap. I don't like my straps to have more hardware on them than the camera has.</p>

<p>I think the issue is not necessarily whether it is CRAP, but whether there's something <strong>better</strong> in all departments.....</p>

<p>No Advertising.... Posing or potential crime victim? Buy a 'plain' one.</p>

<p>Comfort.......I think Marios has answered that one :-) Get a better one.</p>

<p>Durability.......I've never heard of one breaking...ever!</p>

<p>It's like getting something satisfactory rather than excellent. It does the job <strong>BUT</strong>....!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"... the strap on this and the D300 and they look to be the same... "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>They must be the same. I agree, the most annoying thing is that they are a bit striking.<br /> The strap I mentioned is the <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Straps/639/AN-4B-Nylon-Neck-Strap-%28Black%29.html">AN-4B</a>. Very narrow, all black, for those who almost prefer not to use a strap. I love it.<br /> And when I need a really supporting strap, by far I prefer a Black Rapid /Sunsnipe type. <a href="00ZJCc">It was the topic of a recent thread.</a> They are also less obvious than harness systems.</p>

<p>Jeez, it's only a strap for goodness sake! Sole purpose to stop the camera hitting the deck if you let go of it.</p>

<p>I have no complaints at all about the strap supplied with my D700, and Nikon have had comfortable wide straps available from at least the 1980s. Here's my old faithfull F2 wearing a classic little black (and yellow) number. That dressless strap is at least 25 years old and still as strong as ever. Shame the lens and its owner aren't still as good-looking!</p>

<p>A cheap way to a better strap is to get a strip of thin neoprene foam sheet and cut a few slits in it for the existing strap to go through.</p><div>00ZKmF-398633784.jpg.f788f27e16475ae4038dc9a538a9253e.jpg</div>

<p>I always found the Nikon mfr supplied strap too garish for my tastes, and replaced them with either one of my (self hand crafted) leather straps or a superb black one from Luigi (of Leicatime). Unlike the OP I certainly wouldn't call the packaged straps "crap", as they seem pretty strong and functional.</p>

<p>I have never used any of my Nikon straps. <br>

I think when you spend 1,000 USD or more, at least you should get a better strap.<br>

I don't like the color and they are not comfortable at all since they have no padding. <br>

I have been using Lowepro straps and I've been happy with them. I must have around 5 or 6 of them but a few days ago I read the thread about those Black Rapid straps and visited their web page and I really want to get one of them to try it. They look really comfortable but the problem is I only found them on Amazon and in a store in Tokyo and I don't wanna order it without looking at them. So I'll have to wait for my next visit to Tokyo and then I'll buy it...</p>

<p>I'm glad to hear that others ditch the supplied Nikon straps to make their cameras more inconspicuous. I have had my OpTech strap since '92 and have wondered if anyone has experienced a failure of an OpTech strap. As it gets older and my cameras get more expensive I hate the thought of one plummeting to the ground.</p>

<p>Being tired of using the vintage multicolored woven straps on hand, about two months ago I hooked the came-in-the-box Nikon strap to my D300. The body, especially with a 70-300 VR mounted, proved to be too heavy for the friction-hold buckles or whatever one wishes to call them. The buckles gave way twice. I caught the camera twice. I remedied the problem by tying knots in the ample dangling ends of the strap. I am going back to the old things, which have hooks or rings, until I can try on another brand for comfort--and to inspect the quality of its "business ends."</p>

<p>Nikon, put proper fasteners on your straps! </p>

<p>(Or perhaps they are designed to fail so we have to buy a new camera and/or lens? :) )</p>