Nikon Speedlight, Hot shoe lock issue

wade_thompson1

<p>Last week I bought and have tested out a brand new SB-700 speedlight. I notice that when I seat it on the hot shoe, and then move the lever to the right to lock it in, that it snaps over fairly loosely... when on a SB-600 for example, you used to be able to feel the locking level actually engage and "push back" as you locked it in. I was wondering if Nikon has changed it's locking mechanism on these somewhat newer versions... or if my new one came with a mechanical flaw and that I need to return it and exchange for a non-broken one. Anyone know if Nikon has changed their shoe locking mechanism on purpose?</p>

<p>As far as I can remember, my SB-700 doesn't mount any differently from the SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900. I am in the office and don't have those flashes with me. I can double check my SB-700 when I get home. However, most likely your particular SB-700 is slightly off.</p>

<p>I'll follow up again later on.</p>

<p>BTW, which camera are you using?</p>

<p>I just tried my SB-700, bought new last summer, on my d7000. It definitely springs over pretty robustly and audibly clicks into place. But I don't know about "push-back" - I don't have to push it to the right and then lock it. It's all one motion, I guess I would say. I don't know if that's different from other hot shoe flashes though - this is my first and only one right now.</p>

<p>Renee,<br /> Thank you for your reply... let me dive into your explanation. When you go past halfway on the lever going to the right, does it seem to let loose (with less resistance) and then click as if a clip has snapped into place? The old ones made no noise but sort of siched up hanevel goes all the way to the right.</p>

<p>I just tried it again. I guess it depends on how much force I use to lock it. It will snap locked on its own if I give it a good turn, but if I'm more gentle with it, the lever will stop just short of "locked" and I'll have to guide it into position from there. Either way though, the actual moment of locking is a very audible click.</p>

<p>It helps to check the actual flashes rather than working from memory. It turns out that on the SB-600 and SB-800, there is a set of two additional clamps that move from below upward to help lock the flash onto the hot shoe. For whatever reason, those clamps are gone on the SB-700, SB-900, and SB-910. I have an old image from 2008 showing the difference between the SB-900 (left) and SB-800 (right). The SB-700 and SB-600 have that same difference.</p>

<p>However, all of those flashes, with or without the extra clamps, should mount onto the hot shoe securely. If your new SB-700 doesn't, it is best to find another unit to check, e.g. from a local camera store or a friend. If that is not available, you might as well get an exchange.</p><div>00cT3X-546488084.jpg.0400926198029b638dcee14619be0996.jpg</div>

<p>Here is another side-by-side comparison among the SB-600, SB-700, and SB-910. You can see that on the newer flashes after the SB-800 and SB-600, Nikon only uses that one pin in front to lock the flash onto the hot shoe on the camera body. The clamps on the sides of the hot shoe are gone.</p>

<p>The old mechanism is kind of complex: while the front pin comes down, the clamps move up to lock the flash.</p>

<p>I have used the SB-700, 900, and 910. They all should mount securely.</p><div>00cTDO-546517684.jpg.16c85c7f45b98751d61576483fabac49.jpg</div>

<p>You are mounting a fairly large flash onto the camera via a relatively small hot shoe. There will always be some flexibility on the flash. It is definitely not going to be a "rock solid" connection. As long as your flash doesn't have any risk falling off the hot shoe during normal usage, it should be fine. If you yank the flash real hard, I am sure that little pin is not going to hold.</p>

<p>If the connection is not secure so that your flash may fall off or the electronic connection is poor so that the flash might not go off properly, you probably need repair.</p>