Nikon shutter count software

kbev

I spent a fair amount of time searching the site for someone who could tell me

how to find my nikon shutter count. Many of the posts were old and the links

didn't work.

I finally found some software named: Opanda iExif. It seemed to work. Just

google it and download the free viewer.

24,000 and still counting for me... although my shutter sticks from time to time

lately... I'm getting nervous. (once every 500-700 shots or so...

How high have others gone? I have a D70.

I love irfanview! Download at, and get the plugins. The world's best freeware.

www.irfanview.com

When viewing a photo with irfanview, press i on the keyboard for "information". There will be an entry of "exif" near the bottom. Select "exif" and you will get a host of information. About 10th from the bottom will "total pictures".

The above info is for my Nikon D70. I just checked for my Canon A620, and it displays "image number" in the exif file and it is a sequential number, but it is over one million, so there must be some conversion factor. It does sequence by one for the very next picture.

Finally, "got off my ass" and downloaded one of these to see my total shutter actuations. This was big for me since I bought a Factory Demo D200 from Cameta on eBay.

Well, I'm right around 6500 shots in and the camera is 8266 shots in, so 1700-1800 before I got it. Sets my mind a little more at ease. I was worried I was going to see 25,000 or more...

I hit 33,000 on my D70 before selling it to a friend, who has probably put at least another 5000 on it since then. With a bit of care, you can almost certainly hit 50K shutter activations before the mechanicals start giving out.