Nikon SB-800

BeBu Lamar

Like nearly every other top-of-the-range Nikon speedlight, the SB-800 has a true and measured Guide number of around 28 (metres) at 100 ISO and 50mm 'zoom' setting.

That gets you about a 4m round-trip bounce at 100 ISO and f/5.6, allowing a one stop loss for the reflection.

What other flashes are you comparing it to? Because the SB-900 and 910 are no more powerful. And neither were the SB-800's predecessors, right back to the SB-24. They all put out roughly the same amount of light.

Maybe your sample is failing? Tubes wear out, capacitors go leaky, circuits fail, etc, etc.

Like nearly every other top-of-the-range Nikon speedlight, the SB-800 has a true and measured Guide number of around 28 (metres) at 100 ISO and 50mm 'zoom' setting.

That gets you about a 4m round-trip bounce at 100 ISO and f/5.6, allowing a one stop loss for the reflection.

What other flashes are you comparing it to? Because the SB-900 and 910 are no more powerful. And neither were the SB-800's predecessors, right back to the SB-24. They all put out roughly the same amount of light.

Maybe your sample is failing? Tubes wear out, capacitors go leaky, circuits fail, etc, etc.

I guess my memory failed me. I tested 4 flashes the Nikon SB-800, Minolta X-320, Vivitar 383 and Sunpak PZ5000. Setting all of them at full power manual, flash aim straight up at the ceiling and the flash meter with the dome pointing straight up. At ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/60 the SB-800 register f/4 and 2/10. The Minolta f/2.8 and 8/10. The Vivitar f/2.8 and 7/10 and the Sunpak f/2.8 and 8/10. so the SB-800 is the most powerful in the group. By the way all of the flashes are set for 35mm coverage.

• Like 1

At ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/60 the SB-800 register f/4 and 2/10. The Minolta f/2.8 and 8/10. The Vivitar f/2.8 and 7/10 and the Sunpak f/2.8 and 8/10.

So about half-a-stop more powerful than 'other brands'.

Sounds about right. Nikon and Canon's top-line speedlights have been fitted with 1400uF capacitors for years, while the likes of Vivitar used only a 1000uF or smaller cappy.

However, nearly every 'good' cheap Chinese made flash uses a 1400uF capacitor these days.