Nikon SB-27

dr._karl_hoppe

<p>I just picked up a Nikon SB-27 Speedlight at a tag sale for $10, in mint condition with pouch. I was wondering what anyone's experience has been with this unit used in non-TTL auto mode? It has a nice built-in bounce reflector, too. I have several Leica M's and figured I could use it. It's relatively small for the power and seems versatile. Of course, I'll put it through its paces after I download an instruction booklet.</p>

<p>The SB-27 "expects" to be connected to a compatible Nikon camera by default. You have to force it into Auto Aperture mode for use on other cameras. <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-27.pdf">The PDF manual </a>tells you how on page 70. You need to switch the mode selector from OFF to AUTO while holding down the ZOOM button.</p>

<p>My experience with AA mode on Nikon speedlights is that it's extrememly accurate and reliable - IMHO better than Nikon's overcomplicated and wasteful pre-flash i-TTL system for digital.</p>

<p>The SB-27 isn't the most powerful flash in the world though, and the quoted Guide Number is very optimistic. Expect a true GN of something like 22 (metres) @ 100 ISO with the zoom at the 50mm setting on full power.</p>

<p>Thanks. I did download the manual yesterday and have been experimenting. Even if I'm not that satisfied, it only cost $10 to find out.</p>

<p>I generally favour the Metz units, but I have a bunch of old "friends" I use, such as the Vivitar 283 or the less-than-classic 285HV.</p>

<p>My wife has a ton of Canon film and digital gear and oddly enough the best Canon flash I've found to use on non-Canons is the 299T. Use it in non-TTL auto mode and you are not limited to just 2 or 3 set working apertures, but you can choose anything from f/2 to f/16, depending on the film speed and distance, of course. The 299T's big drawback is the crummy plastic foot that is an integral part of the plastic case. You can't swap it out for a metal shoe, like you can with the Vivitars.</p>

<p>When shooting for daylight fill-in, the 299T is great because you can always set the flash 1 or 2 stops wider than what you have your lens set at. With the Metz units and some Vivitars, you're stuck with just 2 or 3 stops.</p>