Nikon sales roundup

mjt

i thought i would check Hogan's site to see what's new - i found the front page

very interesting: http://www.bythom.com/

"Nikon's year-end results have been posted, and the news is quite good."

... in the 2008 projected sales section:

"A 33% increase in lens sales? Yep, the rumor of lots of new lenses must be true".

regards, michael

The rumour of new lenses <i>must</i> be true. People doesn`t know how to spend their money on Nikon... we are buying backup cameras, backup of backup cameras, even a third backup camera because we haven`t enough AFS lenses or accesories to buy. A given focal lenght ask for a macro, a zoom and a prime. I`m surprised Nikon doesn`t have released more products.

Perhaps because they have something really interesting to launch... lenses, accesories and coolpixes have been moved away in favour of a new product. If they expect to sell fewer DSLR than in 2007, and more coolpixes (!!!), it looks like they are concentrating their efforts on a new coolpix line! Great.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Thom Hogan's speculation. His track record is, at best, very mixed.

In any case, any lens sales volume increase will mainly come from cheap lenses. That is why Nikon has been making those 18-55, 18-135, 55-200 plastic mount lenses. They can't expect to sell a whole lot of 200-400mm/f4 AF-S zooms because of the high cost.