Nikon S1

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

<p>The <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Lens-Adapters/3613/FT-1-Mount-Adapter.html">Nikon FT1 converter</a> will work with any System 1 body. Nikon's website lists the compatible lenses and which features and functions may be disabled.</p>

<p><strong><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51034794">This fellow</a></strong> says Sigma upgraded his Bigma so it's now compatible with his Nikon V1 and FT1 adapter.</p>

<p>I don't have any auto telephotos over 200mm so I settled for the Fotodiox all-manual converter. Works fine with my manual Nikkors, tho' I have to guesstimate exposures or use another meter. Unfortunately I get serious chromatic aberration and purple fringing with some of my manual focus lenses on the V1 via the manual adapter: the 85/2 AIS and 105/2.5 AI Nikkors are very good; the 180/2.8 non-ED pre-AI Nikkor shows tons of CA. Kinda wish I'd kept the 300/4.5 AI ED Nikkor, but I doubt I'll ever be serious about closeup bird photography.</p>

<p>If I had any serious auto teles or tele-zooms and was into birding I'd definitely consider the FT1. Even tho' it's pricey it's still a better deal than Nikon's System 1 power zooms.</p>

<p>BTW, you might be able to find a good used V1 for the same price as a new S1. Same 10 megapickles, I think, and the EVF is handy - not bad for manual focus despite the lack of any focusing aids.</p>

<p>Are you talking about a Nikon 1 or Nikon S film rangefinder camera, from 1948 or 1951 respectively (see http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/rangefinder.htm ), or are you talking about the current Nikon 1 S1 mirrorless digital camera (see http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/Nikon-1-S1.html )?</p>

<p>If you're talking about the Nikon S of 1948 or the Nikon S of 1951, they were competent cameras which could handle Nikkor rangefinder lenses of that era, and they are now collectable; but they had much smaller and darker viewfinders than later Nikon rangefinders such as the S3 or SP, and an S3 might be a better choice if you could find or afford one.</p>

<p>If you're talking about the Nikon 1 S1 mirrorless digital camera, with a CX format sensor, 10MP and an ISO range from 100 to 6400, Nikon currently offers at least 13 different Nikon 1 lenses, of which five have list prices of $200 or less; see http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/1-NIKKOR-Lenses/index.page . In addition to those it appears that Fotodiox currently offers and has in stock, at a price of $34.95, a lens mount adapter which allows Nikkor lenses to be used on Nikon 1 mirrorless bodies. See http://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapters/mirrorless-dslr/nikon-1-series-lens-adapters/fotodiox-lens-mount-adapter-nikon-nikkor-lens-to-nikon-1-series-camera-adapter-fit-nikon-v1-j1-mirrorless-cameras.html .</p>

<p>Peter S,the link to fotodiox does indeed lead to the adapter in question. However, under Compatibility it only mentions the V1 and J1.</p>

<p>I guess they haven't updated their web page very recently as they don't mention the J2, J3 or V2, never mind the poor old S1!<br>

It should be OK as it's a dumb connector and the lens mounts are all the same.</p>

<p>I do occasionally use my 300mm f4 AF-S on my V1 via FT1, a good tripod is needed or, if you want hand-held for wildlife, PLENTY of light to get a high shutter speed >1/1000 and for it to AF happily.</p>

<p>Lil,<br>

You could really save and buy a left-over/reconditioned J1. If so I think there's a firmware update needed for full functionality with Nikon's convertor. Manual convertors are best compared to extension tubes: just allows the lens to fit but otherwise featureless.<br>

Oh! I sure you'd use a long focal length lens that includes a collar. Dem cameras iz small; dem lens iz big.<br>

Joe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>[[However, under Compatibility it only mentions the V1 and J1.]]</p>

<p>I believe you are misreading the table. The page indicates the minimum firmware required for the V1 and J1 in order to use the FT1. If you have a V1 or J1 with an earlier firmware you would need to update in order to use the FT1. All other System 1 cameras should be supported without firmware updates.</p>

<p>The only reason I'm considering it is because Sam's Club have it on a deal w/ two lenses for about $ 250.00<br /> If not I wouldn't be thinking of it all that much. Also, it would make life a lot lighter when I travel with family & don't want to deal with the D800...</p>

<p>http://www.samsclub.com/sams/nikon-j1-10-1mp-mirrorless-digital-camera-with-10-30mm-and-30-110mm-lenses-white/prod6190416.ip?sprodId=prod6190416&navAction=push&_requestid=159457</p>

<p>Oh and I want to thank everyone for sounding in & giving me feedback :)</p>

<p>Nikon is practically giving the J1 away in these days.</p>

<p>However, if you use the FT1 to mount a Nikon F mount lens on it, aren't you limited to the center AF point only on Nikon 1 cameras?</p>

<p>Additionally, I wouldn't necessarily mount an 800mm lens on a Nikon 1 body. Sometimes with a 600mm lens on a DX body, I have a hard enough time to locate the subject. With magnification more than a 900mm, 1000mm equivalent, you are going to have a very difficult time locating your subject inside the Nikon 1's viewfinder, be it the LCD or EVF. You'll also have all sorts of vibration issues. I would think perhaps 300mm is approaching the upper limit for Nikon 1.</p>

<p>Lil, that link is to the J1. IMO the price is ok; the lenses alone cost more than that. the J1 is compact and sort of "cute" but... that camera will be frustrating for an experienced photographer, esp. one who wants to be able to control all aspects of image and shooting parameters. it's essentially a P&S with interchangeable lenses. but it's not all that compact a footprint, despite its small size, as the lens housing extends when retracted, and protrudes even more when in use. it has face detection and fast AF, but the AF modes are limited to single point, area-AF, and continuous tracking; there is no selectable AF point. it's also entirely too small IMO to be used with anything longer than the kit lenses, and you cant put a vertical grip on it to stabilize it with longer lenses. (if a selling point to you was using it with other nikon lenses with an adaptor, you may be disappointed in how that actually works in practice with anything larger than a 50/1.8 D or 35/1.8 G.) you also dont get WYSIWYG display in the LCD; changing shutter speed doesnt result in a lighter image. so it's less useful in that regard than mirrorless cams that have full-time live view. you also cant use the zoom function one-handed, like you can with cameras with built-in zooms and toggle switches. there's no PASM mode dial, so you have to go into menus a lot to change basic settings. coming from a d800, it will be a real step down in terms of functionality. one upside is pretty decent macro capabilities, but you are limited to on-camera flash. while the J1 could conceivably work as a purse cam or lightweight travel option, i would strongly suggest handling one before you purchase. also, for just a little bit more, you can get a more full-featured m4/3 body or a high-end P&S with an integrated zoom.</p>

<p>i got one last year at fire-sale prices, but haven't used it much, i'm afraid. my XE1w/27mm pancake has a smaller footprint and better IQ, esp. at high-ISO. if i was purchasing now, i'd probably save my money for something which was less of a toy camera.</p>

<p>Thanks all for sounding in. We'll see what I'll do. I might be better off just buying one of the smaller DX cameras with idiot proof settings to when family visits - I just want something easy to do family photographs with so I don't have them hovering over me when it comes to family vacation pictures. Drives me nuts..... And I'd never put the Sigmonster on such a camera.</p>

<p>using a Nikon 1 for casual snapshots and mounting FX lenses on it via adaptor for birding/wildlife shots are two different things, entirely. it should suffice for the former, as long as your expectations remain fairly low. it's certainly capable of decent IQ considering the sensor size, and is a step up in image quality from a camera phone. is it idiot proof? well, the settings are simplistic and can be set up for full auto operation. it does require some fiddling with the manual zoom ring. it's not a fixed-focal like an iPhone, which is much more idiot proof. but then the same could be said of an entry-level DX body. as i said earlier, for $250 with two lenses, it's an ok deal for what it is. in situations where a d800 is total overkill, or portability is more important than full functionality, it's decent, as long as you don't expect miracles.</p>