Nikon Pure Photography

Dieter Schaefer

<p>A new camera is coming (the rumor mill has been running wild the last few days with speculations about a retro-camera) - and Nikon is teasing you with the first of what appears to be a series of videos:<br /> http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/purephotography/<br /> http://www.nikonusa.com/nikon-video/nHbpDtaNRha/index.html</p>

<p>There's already an entry in the DSLR lineup - above the D4 (?): http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/<br /> Of course, I am not going to repeat the rumors here - but it might be worthwhile watching the spaces I linked to over the next few days to see what develops. Can't recall when Nikon used teaser videos the last time.</p>

<p>Soon, it will be in your hands again...</p>

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The problem is, the teaser works for me. I'm interested to see what it'll be, and afraid that if some of these retro-design-gone-digital rumours are true, I might end up getting a stupid shhopping-itch while I already basically have the cameras I need and feel good with. Really annoying, marketing that works.</p>

<p>For advertising purposes it makes sense to show photography as a casual and relaxing activity, no tripod makes it look more enjoyable. If it has the D4's 16MP FX sensor and the focal length is short it is not so likely the tripod will make a large difference photographing in daylight conditions anyway. With longer lenses, in low light, or with high resolution sensors it will make more of a difference (also if a lot of depth of field is desired) but that may not be the idea the advertisers want to promote.</p>

<p>That does seem like a teaser! I have been reading the rumour sites too but wasn't taking them too seriously. <br>

Did you hear the shutter? Doesn't sound like any of the Dxxx's that I have owned.<br>

Also, am I imagining things or does the prism housing look silver. It is only in a frame or two of the video and I haven't been able to stop it in the right spot, but it looks more like my FE then it does like my Dxxx.</p>

<p>Well let`s talk about it. Maybe they are waiting for a lot of chatting to release the camera!</p>

<p><em>"Pure photography"</em>... it sounds Leica... Sadly, a Nikon with "M" mount seem impossible to me. Maybe there is a new line of AiS (AiD, AiP?) lenses to come :D</p>

<p>Or... what about a rebirth of the "S series"? Instead of a Nikon-Contax, the partner could be Zeiss. No, wait... the camera at the photo looks to have a pentaprism. No mirrorless camera this time.</p>

<p><em>"A photographer roaming through Scotland with a camera as his only companion"</em> cannot be carrying a full "D" body with battery pack. A D4 type camera under the raincoat is mortifying. Instead of the tripod he`d be "roaming" with a shopping cart.<br /> The strap he uses is the classic narrow strap. If it were a D5, it should (hopefully!) have the look of a F6.</p>

<p>Hope it is not a new "smaller-than-FX" pseudo-compact thing... ;P</p>

<blockquote>

<p>does the prism housing look silver</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think all you are seeing is the hotshoe. <br>

I'm certainly interested learning the specs of this camera - and the price point. If the rumors prove to be right, then priced either below or above the D610 will compete with either the D610 or the D800 - and then this camera would have to rely solely on looks alone to sell?</p>

<p>If it's got a hybrid EVF/OVF then all the friends of manual focusing will want one. So it'll sell to that market. If it has a good manual focusing screen without EVF then many will still be interested. The D4 sensor has better dynamic range at mid to high ISO than the D800 and at ISO 6400 the quality difference is quite significant, so there will be some folks who will want it for that reason (if they don't need nor want to pay for 10fps). E.g. event photographers annoyed at the extra workload of 36MP files who want the best performance in candle light.</p>

<p>Some people on this forum have asked for a lower price D4 type camera as a closer successor for the D700. The D600/D610 doesn't quite do it because it has Multi-CAM 4800 instead of 3500. This new camera could satisfy some of these people, if the features are right.</p>

<p>If it has a screen or viewfinder optimized for manual focus, high eyepoint (at least 18mm, preferably more) and the D4 sensor, and Multi-CAM 3500, I'll buy one. I'll suffer the retro looks if the features are beneficial to my photography. In my opinion this type of camera expands the market, it doesn't so much eat from the other FX offerings. Well, of course it eats a little, but more I think it will bring back some people who have been using/considering Sony mirrorless cameras to be used with adapters for improved manual focus.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nikon obviously switched ad houses for whatever they'll be unveiling. That suggests something quite different is in the offing. Lords knows their ad style and product line could use some help. The company's been utterly buzz-free for years. Battery for the sensor/processing circuitry only and a hand-cranked shutter? Optical VF with no rear display? Place your bets ladies and gents. The line starts here...</p>

<p>My stomach is all ready shaking with the excitement. Nikon DM3a would be the dream of my life. With the battery grip, almost the same as the old MD-12 would be fantastic. I just picked up my FM3a and give it a kiss. NIKON please, don't put any gimmick ( I only use my cameras on M mode) to the camera, simple M (B 1-4000) & A. ISO dial and that's it. Minimum knobs, button, dial. A digital FM3a. If it is true, and Nikon come our with a camera like that, I would sell my D4 D3a D700 D40 right a way, and bay two (2) of them. One more! NO POP-UP FLASH please.</p>

<p>LoL, agree with the "pop-up" thing...<br /> But about the retro style, looks like Ilkka have read it on my mind... <em>"I'll suffer the retro look if the features are beneficial to my photography... " </em>:)<br /> (BTW, the guy looks really "retro", so certainly there must be something about it... :D)</p>

<p>As an owner of a D800 I would find a way to get this camera if it has:<br>

- Smaller body like a FM3A or even the F3<br>

- Hybrid OVF/EVF: The EVFs of the m43 bodies is what has made me get m43 gear - not what Nikon wants for sure<br>

- Made for manual focusing (aperture ring, DOF preview, OVF screen/EVF resolution, etc.)<br>

- Great external controls<br>

- Decent price ($2K would be my personal limit)<br>

Make some pancake primes Nikon to go along with this bad boy!</p>