Nikon P80

wesleyfarnsworth

I have it and while it's OK, it's not nearly as good as either the P5100 and not in the ballpark of the new P6000, both of these are excellent if used with the care you should use in taking a photograph with any camera.

The problem, as I see it, is that those who regularly use 'real' cameras and lenses don't use nearly the care in choosing composition, settings, etc. when they use a P&S and then bad-mouth these fine little cameras.

Conni

I got my wife one several months ago and it takes fine pictures, is fully manual, and she loves the long zoom range. The one obvious shortcoming is JPEG only. I have no experence with the other cameras Constance mentioned, but if you want a P&S that takes pretty darn good pix with a nice long zoom range you might find this does the job for you. The one thing I've noticed, especially with a lot of green in landscapes, is that the color rendition of my D200 is noticeably better than the P80's.

I got the P80 a couple of months ago, as a "backup" camera, and am very pleased with it. I think that your wife, who is looking for "a

small camera that she can use", will be very happy with it's size, ease of use, and great zoom range. I am going to Costa Rica and bought

this to use when river rafting and in the hot springs. I have a D90 w/ several pro lenses but am afraid to jeopardize my equipment in those

situations. To answer your question, yes, I think it is well worth the price.