Nikon P&S P510.........?

lintrathen

<p>Hi..... I never thought I'd venture into the Nikon camp, having been a Konica/Minolta/Sony user for years and years............... however my partner (also a Sony user) the other evening watched a Nikon infomercial on Australian TV promoting the Nikon P510..... a point and squirt camera with a focal range of 35-1000mm and a million and one features that alludes to this machine being the be-all and end-all of photographic technology.<br>

I just wondered how you guys felt about it in terms of your faith in the Dslr and related lenses. My partner wants one and I'm not so sure!!<br>

Just thought I'd throw a pebble in the pond.............<br>

Regards</p>

<p>I just skimmed DPReview's review. They lost me at "no RAW". Otherwise, as superzooms go, it seems to be in the category of "not as bad as you might expect", but that still means blobby pixels and bad noise at higher ISOs. I've had a poor experience with Nikon's compact camera user interface in the past, and it's not had anything in common with the DSLR interface - but that was a while ago, and I was admittedly looking at a low-end camera (though if you could tell me what some of the 50-odd scene modes actually did in terms of aperture and shutter speed, I'd have been grateful).</p>

<p>I'll stick to my 8mm to 500mm (800 with teleconverter, more if I count DX mode and start stacking or adapt my GF2 for more pixel density - or use my telescope) lens range, thanks. I have to admit that the P510 is a tad more portable, but horses for courses. In a compact, I'd rather have something that actually fits in a pocket.</p>

<p>35mm (equivalent) at the wide end pretty much negates the 1000mm at the long end. I'd want something that starts somewhere close to 24mm equivalent FL. Having bought a P100 and been bitterly disappointed - no RAW, generally over-sharpened JPEGs, over-smudged high ISO noise, poor MF mode, plasticky build quality and wobbly lens, no separate battery charger, no hotshoe, etc. - I would never touch one of Nikon's superzoom bridge or compacts again.</p>

<p>I also have an excellent old Konica-Minolta A2 bridge camera with a modest 7x zoom, as well as a little Kodak Easyshare with superb Schneider 10x zoom lens and great colour rendering. I'd far rather use those than the P100 with its 26x "super" zoom.</p>

<p>My post above should read "A P&S <strong>HAS</strong> its place..."</p>

<p>This issues Rodeo lists are typically among P&S cameras, but depending on the size of the prints and perhaps your expectations, you can get great results. If you are a RAW shooter, some Nikon P&S do offer RAW files.</p>

<p>Perhaps a better 'bridge/compromise' between the two would be a micro four thirds camera.</p>

Elliot: the RX100? Well, it has a sensor the size for a Nikon 1-series, twice the resolution (of the originals) and a pretty fast lens, all in a size

not much bigger than an s105. It also costs twice as much as a d3100 kit, and when I briefly played with one, the handling drove me nuts in

about two minutes (sadly I can't remember why, so don't hold that against it too much - I may just have been in a bad mood, but I suggest

trying before you buy). It's certainly more the kind of complement to a DSLR I'd consider if I was spending a significant amount on one.

Of course, it's got about as much in common with a P510 as a Fuji x100 or Nokia 808 does, so I'm not sure how relevant Grayham will find it...

<p>Hi Guys...........Thanks for your views on my tentative question........... I had half-hoped that one of you Nikon stalwarts would have actually owned the unit and would have some indepth do's and don'ts to share with us.<br>

We are avid "birders" and my partner was hoping to have some honest info of the definition quality. presented at the 500mm and 600mm FL,s. That said, the info could still pop up in time.<br>

I appreciate your interest in my question and I have found your answers interesting as well. Incidentally since my initial posting, I have found a local store that actually has one in stock and I am currently trying to twist their arm into allowing Louise to take it for a test drive...... their reluctance likens to the asking for the latest Rolls Royce whilst dressed in bathers (smiles).<br>

Have a great festive season.............<br>

Best regards </p>