3.they got very good lenses

4.canon is good for telephoto and nikon for wide angle lenses

5.both are good brands

6.there are some differences in the chip (CCD&CMOS) but i don't know them all

7.both are used by pros

but i really don't know if

1.people like canon just for the fast telephoto fucosing system they have or

nikon for the wide angle lesses.

2.Also if color rendition is better from one to another.

if they will last as long as the other.

3.if they canon is easier to use

4.if canon is better or it is all a marketing thing

i mean i just want to know why people defend nikon as people defend canon with

their life. I can go either way but i haven't cleared this question of me so

here i put all i know waiting for an honest answer not another canon/nikon

knight ready to defend honor to the brand.

thank you all for making this far and the wisdom you'll write

Herman jr

I guess the best answer would be your own:

"Picasso was known for its artisti ability not for the kind of canvas or brushes he used but rather for his ability to express in simply manners an image that made him immortal."

Apparently you already had Nikon D50, and D80... so what is your problem ?

You stated that you got D50 when you were 20 years old, and that was just recently.

Perhaps you will not clear the question: "I can go either way but i haven't cleared this question" - before you get old. Get the Canon now...

I shoot with both Canon and Nikon. There is no difference in color rendition. If you shoot raw, your converter and/or Photoshop will determine color rendition. I use Canon for its IS telephoto lenses (300 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/4 IS and 500 f/4 IS) and low sensor noise. I use Nikon (D200) because I have a lot of AI and AIS lenses from years of shooting in the film days. I happen to really like the Nikkor 17-55mm lens and I would probably have a Nikon body just for that lens, even if I didn?t have all my old Nikkor glass.

If you have a D80 I would stick with that and add a Canon later on if you feel like it. Many will say that having both brands - and therefore different layouts - is confusing but I don't have trouble switching back and forth. The added flexibility is also nice. For example the new Canon 70-200mm IS is a fantastic lens and I bought one for a recent trip. I would not have done this if I had everything invested in Nikon. So using both brands allows you to cherry pick the best lenses for either lineup.

What Michael said makes sense. I think that nobody should stick with only one source for equipment or film or memory cards or anything. It's good to work within a heterogenous environment. Variety is the spice of life as the cliche goes.

FWIW I say stick with your Nikons but don't be put off buying different gear for different purposes. If you like 35mm rangefinder cameras and you own a D80 for example, don't be shy about purchasing a Zeiss or Leica system in that area.

If you can find someone who can tell what type of digital camera someone uses by looking at the images on their website, then maybe this silly argument about Nikon or Canon actually makes sense. Until the difference can actually be detected solely by looking at images, just buy whatever you like using. I like the lighting system and a few other minor differences that Nikon offers, but if Nikon did not exist, I would be quite happy with a Canon. If I was in a foreign country and lost my camera and could only find a Kodak DX6490, I would use it and be happy that I did not have to use a pinhole camera. Stop arguing and start shooting.

I use Canon and agree that Canon are generally superior when it comes to noise at high ISO

settings. However, both Canon and Nikon make excellent products. If you've already got

Nikon gear, stick with Nikon unless there's some specific function that Canon offer that Nikon

don't. You can take fine photos with Nikon cameras.

<i>"... some people have told me that canon is better due to 1.they are simply good ... 4.they wont go out of business in the future ... 7.they rock"</i><P>

Stop listening to fools like this and use what you got, be it Canon or Nikon (or Pentax or Sony). Both systems can produce dull, boring, lifeless crap (you need only wade through the <i>Rate Photos</i> queue here on any given day to prove that for yourself). In the right hands, both systems can also produce brilliant photographs. Until the equipment that you are using presents you with limitations that you can't overcome, what anybody else thinks doesn't matter a whit.

I belong to a camera club with members who own all types of digital equipment. We have competitions on a monthly basis. Even though we are all using the same type of cameras of whatever brand; the images submitted vary from wonderful to some horrible ones. The point I'm trying to make is that is in not the equipment, but the photographer that counts. Having said that, having the right stuff doesn't hurt either. Specialized lenses for special uses. Chose the brand that has the lenses you need.

Try Fuji. Since the advent of the S2 there has been a large following. Most based onhow they

handle color. Now, with the introduction of the S5 you also have better high ISO noise levels

than either Canon or Nikon ... and you can use your Nikon glass. BTW my S5 arrived last

week and I wll now be selling my S2. Email if interested.

Whatever you do, please consider switching systems. We will thank you when you sell your

previous lenses and cameras at fire sale prices.

Then, two years from now, you can switch again and get rid of all your Canon lenses when

Nikon upstages Canon. We will all thank you again, for we will be able to get your lenses at

bargain prices.

Pick a system and stick with it. Don't pick cameras. Pick a SYSTEM.