Nikon old school DX images

blurrist

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

? Blurrist did post a correction (I can see why I'd think "macro" for that shot, even though it's clearly wide). I like it, nonetheless. Though I'm not sure I'd call the 14-24 an "old school DX" lens.

Due to not able to do adjustment, I’ve added the amendment in later post.

Images come from old sensor attached old lenses would be a nice idea. I’ve some ais version and will post photos from them sooner.

Nice weekend keypals

• Like 1

This is breaking the rules on two fronts as it's not DX and not Nikon aside from-ALSO-being the ubiquitous N80 body. It is using the the old 105mm f/2.8 Micro, a lens that I absolutely love.

In any case, here's the same image as above captured on the first FF sensor available in Nikon mount.

CT7L4174web.thumb.jpg.e73b2a11100e9a8bbe0362d28e33b753.jpg

If the weather holds tomorrow, I'm headed out to a favorite location and will take along a D1 for some real old DX fun :) . I just need to charge some batteries tonight. I may also cart my D100 along-again once I charge a battery or two. D1/D1H/D1X batteries don't last very long in or out of the camera, which is why I have a dozen or so of them :) . The EN-EL3 batts last a long time charged or uncharged, but it's a shame that I can't use EN-EL3es in the D100. I have a pile of those, and use them enough that I always have some charged ones handy.

I normally use my 14-24mm f/2.8 pretty extensively at this site for both film and FX, and it will come out tomorrow. In the spirit of "old lenses", though, I may use the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5-it was touted in the early days(before the ubiquitous 18-55 kit lenses) as an ideal "normal" zoom for DX even though it's an FF lens. Space may dictate using the 12-24 f/4, though. As great as the 14-24 is, it's a shame to use a lens that big and heavy as a DX lens.

Not exactly sure what the theme for this thread should be; i.e. what is "old school" vs. "new school"? Are we restricted to images using DX lenses only?

In any case, this is one of my favorite images from the DX era: (obviously) it is a wedding inside a Greek orthodox church with the 10.5mm DX fisheye and D2x, from 2006.

Fisheye9823.thumb.jpg.3452cb466f518b3addbb3dbd4004df0e.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 5

I remembered I already had some "old lens" shots to go with my IR D90 (I tried this out first because the lens is tiny and I wasn't sure when the camera would arrive, so I wanted the smallest lens to carry to work). The Tamron 24-70 is a bit modern by comparison.

D90_DSC_0008_openWith.thumb.jpg.9e5779bd765cd0c8ec08e79ab5816976.jpg

Mostly red flowers. D90 690nm IR, channel swapped red->blue->green->red, ISO200, 1/1600s, probably f/8, 50mm f/1.8 E-series.

• Like 2

Not exactly sure what the theme for this thread should be; i.e. what is "old school" vs. "new school"? Are we restricted to images using DX lenses only?

In any case, this is one of my favorite images from the DX era: (obviously) it is a wedding inside a Greek orthodox church with the 10.5mm DX fisheye and D2x, from 2006.

I prefer to go with Nikon sensor not over 12mpx with any Nikkor lenses. So, the youngest is D300s.

Any idea?

Nikon D300S

17.0-55.0 mm f/2.8

ƒ/2.8 55.0 mm 1/320 200

_DSC5348r.thumb.JPG.36d9d141c517336a26587a5f9611c4c1.JPG

• Like 2

I prefer to go with Nikon sensor not over 12mpx with any Nikkor lenses. So, the youngest is D300s.

Any idea?

Blurrist, since you are the OP, it is up to you to decide the theme for this thread. However, when I first saw "DX" in the subject, I was thinking about dedicated DX lenses, but of course DX can mean body sensor size or lens image circle. (It can also be 35mm film canister ISO-decoding, but I am sure that is not what we are talking about on this thread. :rolleyes:)

The 2009 D300S or older seems to be a reasonable description of "old school." In any case, my choice of image with the D2X and 10.5mm DX lens meets all of those requirements. :)

• Like 2

I took this to work with me today, and have used it a bit. I'll post photos this evening. BTW, it's amazing to me how much using this is like using an F5-even more so than the D1H/D1X. The top LCD doesn't even show shots remaining-instead it shows shots taken(the bottom LCD shows remaining). Things like ISO are behind the flip down door. As best as I can tell, there's no zoom on playback. Also, custom functions are set like on a F5 or F100 and not through a menu that actually tells you what you're setting(the D1H/X did at least add that ability).

Also, even though I have several good batteries, I only have one with me. I have image review off so as to save battery power.

The lens is probably a bit on the new side, but it's certainly not state-of-the-art DX. I really wish I had a 14mm f/2.8D for a couple of reasons, but it would be a nice match for this camera.

IMG_5449.thumb.jpg.7a26209b8b2a0ee433ee0122241d472c.jpg

Edited by ben_hutcherson
  • Like 1

I see that it's so like the F5 that, as with my F5, you lost the PC and 10-pin protector caps - I begged replacements off Nikon. Let me know if you also have your eyepiece fall out. (For such a robust camera, my F5 was prone to losing bits.) I'm impressed that that D1 seems to be nearly as beaten up as my F5, too.

I'd kind of like a (cheap) D1 for historical reasons. They don't seem to be all that common, though, so maybe I'm not alone in that thought. The D1x is more available.

• Like 1

I'd kind of like a (cheap) D1 for historical reasons. They don't seem to be all that common, though, so maybe I'm not alone in that thought. The D1x is more available.

Believe it or not, this one is probably the best of the 3 or 4 I have. They all work, though.

The D1H is a different story-I only have one or two working ones out of a half dozen or so. I only have one 1DX, and it does work.

This particular D1(along with another I have) was sold to me as an ex-NYT camera. I also got a D200 and three D300ss from the same lot. There's no way I'm aware of outside Nikon to check the shutter count on pre-D200/D2 cameras, but I'd be really curious to know. Two of the D300ss were at over 400,000. I kept the highest count one(I think it's 475,000) and although I haven't used it much it just keeps trucking along.

Edited by ben_hutcherson
  • Like 1

I believe you - these things tended to get used enthusiastically. :-) I'm mildly interested just because I remember the D1 launch, and it was fairly iconic as a camera. But I'm not so fussed about using it. Then again, I've spent the last few weeks throwing out useless things from my study, so picking up another one may not be so clever!