Nikon officially admitted the potential problem of D2H and D70

akira

As some of community members are already aware of this: today Nikon

oficially admitted the potential problems of D2H and D70 that have

been repeatedly reported here.

The problem NIkon admitted are:

The inaccuracy or the freeze of exposure indicator, excessive

over/under-exposure and inaccuracy of autofocus function on D2H.

The sudden death of D70 known as BGLOD.

At least in Japan (meaning that so far as I know), Nikon will repair

the cameras suffering from these problems for free whether or not the

warrantees are expired, or return the fee if Nikon had taken the

money for the repair of these troubles.

My D2H had been in trouble with the metering circuit twice and

repaired on warranty but hasn't yet experienced AF problem yet. I

will take my camera to service center anyway.

Hope this helps.

Another not un common problem with the D70 is "mirror hangup", where the mirror does not return all the way after a shot. My D70 experienced this just after the warranty was expired, but Nikon repaired it free of charge. I was happily impressed with this. <br>

Note too that after Nikon does any repair on your camera, there will be a new 6 month warranty on the camera.<br>

I don't know how other companies handle repairs. Is Nikon's repair policy exeptional? I have heard quite a few people with broken Canon cameras, but don't know about their repair experiences.

Is it possible to make Nikon NOT repair a BGLOD on a D70, with or without cost? My, D70 which was stolen a week ago has No. 315XXXX, so being a rather early model, is probably & hopefully more likely to suffer from this effect (until the theft, it was not having any sign of failure). While I do not exspect to recover the camera this way, I don't want that bloody SOB of a thief or the SOB who bought the camera have much benefit of it.

Maurik - The mirror hangup is a major problem. I sent my D70 in back in late June with it. I included a note describing exactly what was happening, the shutter speeds where I saw it, the fact that you had to take about 50 pictures at 1/2 second or longer before the mirror started sticking, and four sample pictures.

Five weeks later, they sent it back to me, and all they had done was update the firmware, which had absolutly no effect on the problem. I sent it back the same day. Now, 3 months later, Nikon still has the camera. It's listed as:

Service Repair Rank C "If Parts Available Depending on the age of the product, some orders will display this message when replacement parts are limited."

CAT C " Major Repair : Major Parts Replaced"

Yes, they've really had my camera for three months.

• 1 year later...

My d2h suffered from this same problem... but I didn't realize what it was... I just knew I had to manually expose everything and just assumed I had some setting wrong in the camera's setup menu.

Has anyone heard of it getting worse, though? As in... total cease of camera function.

Other than the above-mentioned exposure system problem (none of the metering systems worked or offered any different exposure information -- light meter seemed to be off by about 2 1/3 stops too dark), I hadn't had any other problems until today...

I put a Nikon 300 F2.8 AFs lens on the camera and the camera ceased to function. I switched lenses, switched CF cards, switched batteries (tried a freshly-charged one), and still... nothing. The camera acts as if it has no power.

Hi T. Rob Brown, I noticed that you have posted 9 times today, all on some old D2H threads. If you are experiencing problems with your D2H, you need to get it fixed. There is only so much we can help on the web.

If you are in the US, please see the following Nikon Service Advisory link and click on the D2H. Your problem may be covered:

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/

• 2 years later...
<p>I sent my D70 (serial #3050xxx, very early model) with the BGLOD under the service advisory last week. Nikon came back and told me to pay $200 plus shipping to repair it. I called twice; first time, they said it's not covered under the advisory; second time, they said my camera's memory card access lamp is not blinking--when I last saw it, it was blinking so rapidly that it looked like the light was on contantly. Nikon won't honor the service advisory. Buyers be ware. Nikon's bait and switch tactic. I was getting ready to buy a Nikon D300, as I've been a Nikon photog since the 80's. But, now I am going to switch to Canon Digital. Most of my P&S digits are Canon anyway. This incident finally convinced me to switch to Canon permanently. Wake up, Nikon! You want to make $200 off me with this repair; instead, you're losing thousands of dollars that I was going to spend. With this kind of business model, Nikon's NOT going to last as a company. Voting with my wallet in San Diego, California.</p>