Nikon NX quits when I try to save

neil_swanson

Title says it all. This is something new and may have started only after

updating to NX 1.0.1.

I work an image in NX, go to save it and pffffff, NX quits. Does this

consistantly. I'm on a MAC G4, with enough RAM and speed. It used to work fine.

I've been going through what I've changed or added recently. I had a new

Sandisk Firewire reader that Nikon view refused to see was loaded. In the end

it seemed that uninstalling NV and reinstalling it solved that. I also started

using PhotoMechanic.

It seems many people are using Nikon Capture and NX on the same machine. I am

and it wasn't a problem before. Maybe NX 1.0.1 doesn't like it?

Another question is what do I do to reinstall NX if I uninstall it. Reload and

repay at the NikonMall?

And last but not least I've also found that the preferences windows are no

longer available to me. I get nothing when I ask for them.

Ideas?

Thanks

Neil

I had a similar problem with NX on a G5 when I first installed it as a demo - the print,

save, and preferences did not work. I installed it on a backup drive with an operating

system and it worked fine. I also tried it on an old dual 450 G4 at my office and it worked

just fine. I concluded it was a conflict but was never able to isolate. It may have been a

fluke or something that occurred because all processes were not shut down during the

install. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Finally reinstalled the system,

installed NX and all my other software and it has worked flawlessly. The 1.01 update also

worked fine.

The download is free from Nikon. When you purchased your copy from Nikon Mall, they

emailed you a license number as well as provided it online with the receipt.

To me this sounds like not enough free disk space on one of your drives. If the program can't find enough virtual memory, space for temporary files, or simply the disk you're writing the output file is full, then it won't do the save. Free up some space on all your drives used by the OS or NX and it should write the file.

I have anywhere from 15gigs to over 300gig of space for storage depending on where I want to store it. I don't know what it is. That also wouldn't explain the lack of preference access. Some thing changed when I changed something else. Conflict somewhere. I think a fresh NX install is in order.

"To me this sounds like not enough free disk space on one of your drives. If the program can't find enough virtual memory, space for temporary files, or simply the disk you're writing the output file is full, then it won't do the save."

This reminds me that about more than 2 decades ago I wrote some software for a mini-computer. Before the files were stored I could check available memory on the disk and give an error message to the user if necessary. Ilkka if this is actually true it is further proof how incompetent Nikon software still is.

Neil,

I noticed this behavior with version 1.0 of NX. I'm using a Windows XP machine, and I put temporary files onto another hard drive, so that there is no shortage of space. I have 1.5GB of RAM. If I've been manipulating TIFF files e.g. comparing two or more at a time, I may find it impossible to save the file that I had just worked on.<p>I hoped that 1.0.1 would solve this problem, but it hasn't. Perhaps 1.0.2?<p>In the meantime, my workaround is this:<p>Save the edits that you've made as a script.<p>Save your file as a jpeg (this usually works).<p>Reboot - it's the only way that I know in Windows that resolves this NX problem.<p>When you've rebooted, reload your file in NX, run the script, and save the NEF or TIFF file.

On the 3rd call to Nikon tech we got it to not quit when I save. The first 2 calls I was told to uninstall NX, then uninstall NX and Capture and all preferences relating to Nikon. Still quit when I tried to save.

Finally by making a new user profile it works. Why/when/how I corrupted something to make to everything except allow me to save I don't know.

So for now it works but I'm still looking to fix this work around.