Nikon NX D or NX 2 ?!?!?!?!

StanleyBeck

<p>I just downloaded Nikon NX D ver 1.0.0 (or so I thought), but what got installed is NX 2 V 2.7.4 (64 bit). I don't know why it says NX 2, and I see that as a raw editor, there are are hardly any editing controls for either the RAW files or one converted to TIF. Is there something that I'm missing? It looks to me that I didn't get much for the time I invested on download and installation.</p>

<p>Sounds like you got the latest version of Nikon ViewNX 2. It's worth keeping. </p>

<p>Not much in the way of editing features, but the meta data reader shows more info than any other photo viewer/editor I've tried. Very handy if you need to know the specific AF mode used (AF-S, AF-A, AF-C), which AF sensor was activated, etc.</p>

<p>The editing features are pretty basic, comparable to applying in-camera JPEG choices. But using ViewNX 2 to convert NEFs to TIFF or JPEG will deliver cleaner looking results than the in-camera JPEGs. It will apply whatever noise reduction was originally available to the camera. But avoid using the sharpening in ViewNX 2 - it's very crude and tends toward edge aliasing jaggies.</p>

<p>I don't care for Nikon Capture - I prefer Lightroom for most raw editing, especially since I also use non-Nikon cameras. But ViewNX 2 is worthwhile. Sometimes I'll use it to convert NEFs to TIFF, with little editing, and finish the TIFFs in special effects editing software like onOne Perfect Effects.</p>

<p>Just a quick test, NXD does seem to be a little smoother and faster than the Beta version I tested a few months ago, however one thing that I noticed is that converting the edited RAW file to a jpg, changing the dpi and size (in pixels) produces the worst jpg that I have ever seen. NXD cannot be used without finishing in another program, such as Photoshop.</p>