Nikon N65 real verses indicated Aperture

james_lawler

Nikon N65 real verses indicated Aperture

I just bought a new N65 with a Quantaray lens and have this question. The on-the-lens aperture settings for this 28-90 focal length lens are F3.5 - F22 however, when I dial in the aperture using the "control wheel" on the camera, the range of aperture settings are F5.3 - F38. How does this work? Would the camera stop the lens down farther in auto mode than it would if used on a totally manual camera, or is it shooting at F22 and reducing shutter speed to gain a "simulated" F32?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

I suspect your lens is a 28-90mm f/3.5-5.3

This means that when you are zoomed out at 28mm (wide angle) your largest aperture is f/3.5. When you zoom in (telephoto) to 90mm, your largest aperture is now f/5.3.

As you zoom in you lose your largest aperture (but you apparently gain a smaller aperture on the telephoto end).

So to recap, at the 28mm end your aperture range is f/3.5 - f/22 and zoomed in at 90mm, your aperture range is f/5.3 - f/38

This is a design tradeoff to keep your lens lightweight and reasonably priced. Professional zoom lenses do not have these varying apertures ... but then again they weigh a lot and cost an arm and a leg.

good luck

You folks are amazing! Thank you both !!

When I'm zoomed out to 28mm the range is F3.5 - F22 at 90mm it's F5.6 - F38

But now I wonder, are these "whole" F stops? For example, doesn't the range of F stops go from F2.8 to F4

Does 3.5 lie in the middle as a "half stop"? Conversely is not the other end F32 to F45 making F38 fall in between?

Thanks again,

Jim